Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 pm 

Sounds like baseball is going to implement a challenge system next year. One challenge in the first 6 innings. 2 challenges in final 3 innings. I could nitpick but that sounds like a decent plan.

Post subject: Re: Replay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Good. This ought to make the games shorter :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm 

Can you challenge balls/strikes calls?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:12 pm 

One benefit will be lessening of the manager storming out to argue a call. If he does it for show or for his guys support, he'll be relieved of that duty. And some bad calls can be reversed.
Time for baseball to grow up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Can you challenge balls/strikes calls?

No. Virtually every play but the strike zone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think replay has worked out great in NHL and NFL, even though I hate the challenge system. But it's better than nothing. It hasn't added much to broadcasts.

I just wonder how it will work for baseball if, say, a guy hits a fair ball double that is called foul. Do they put him on second with umpire discretion? Does he only get one base?

Ehh, still better than nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 pm 

The only dead ball challenge is HR or catch/no catch or HBP. You can challenge fair to foul but not foul to fair.

Personally i think its really stupid..Coaches challenges. Just get the call right. I can sit in my living room with my shitty DVR technology and run the previous play without missing a pitch.
Look..You give coaches 3 challenges each and there will be 6 stoppages in play where a manager walks out of the dugout to announce a challenge, then the 3 clueless umps will run in the dugout and watch the replay, then discuss it. It will add 45 minutes to the game. Seriously...Consider how many close plays there are at 1st base. How bout we check every stolen base attempt.

Here is how I would do it:

1. Put a red light on the batters eye in center field.
2. Put a ump in the video booth.
If there is a close play then the booth flicks the red light on (solid) while they take a quick look at it. If the ump got it right. Flick the light off..play ball! If the ump got it wrong, then switch the light to flashing. Then the umps review it and fix it. That simple. In fact in most instances you may not know its there.

Here's a senerio. Pirates are rallying in the 7th. Momentum has shifted. The Reds starter is struggling. The pitching coach comes in after a visit and says we need to get someone loose in the pen but we need some extra time. What can we do to stall. Simple..Throw over to first..."Challenge".

So Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 pm 

if it were up to me i would take the play calling completely out of the hands of the crew on the field and put it into the hands of a trio in a box, who are in front of a monitor, who relay the calls to the field. i would also like to see the ump behind home plate make the strike/ball calls based on info he receives from a electronic eye. i've never been sold on the "human element" bullshit, that it's an integral part of the game - in fact i think it hurts the game, especially given so many umps seem to want to inject their personalities into the proceedings... whenever i hear joe schmoe fat slob is known for his high strike zone, or the like, i want to puke. hell, if joyce's monumental blown call wasn't a wake up, i don't know what is. i'm beyond tired of seeing guys called out simply because the ball beats them to the bag/plate, when a tag is required, and i'm beyond tired of seeing guys successfully turn double plays when they miss the bag by three feet. vent over, i feel better.