Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strikeouts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am 

After watching our guys strike out over and over last night, I decided to see where we stand in that category compared to the rest of the league.

We are tied for 4th in the majors, striking out at a ratio of 1 for every 4 at bats as a team. Interstingly Atlanta is one of the teams worse than us.

However, adjusted for ballpark, we are actually above average.

Post subject: Re: Strikeouts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am 

Ralphie wrote:
After watching our guys strike out over and over last night, I decided to see where we stand in that category compared to the rest of the league.

We are tied for 4th in the majors, striking out at a ratio of 1 for every 4 at bats as a team. Interstingly Atlanta is one of the teams worse than us.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why strikeouts need adjusted for ballpark.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:46 am 

^I second that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am 

BBF wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Someone is going to have to explain to me why strikeouts need adjusted for ballpark.

The Braves 'tomahawk chop' clearly adds 2 K's/9 IP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 am 

BBF wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I sense that Ralphie was being facetious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:52 am 

BBF wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Maybe the amount of foul territory is a factor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm 

Maybe the smoke from Manny's BBQ coming over the big green batter's eye?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm 

Really don't see the K's as an issue. They're pretty much doing what you'd want (avoiding the GIDP) and are pretty much rid of most of the issues. Sort of why I was hesitant to add Lambo in. Snider killed us with his K's and didn't compensate with XBH or OBP, which is what he'd need to do to have value. Lambo profiled as similar.

Walker coming back and Jose replacing Snider have pretty much made them a non-issue. Cutch, Walker, and Tabata are all at 16% or lower with BB rates near 10% (Walker is lowest at 9.4%). That's solid plate discipline coming in once they got healthy. Nobody is really a black hole with them anymore, although Jones has been flirting with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

How could you not see K's as an issue? The objective is to hit the ball, or at least draw a walk. Not to record an out and walk back to the dugout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

Because they don't really have a high K rate up and down the lineup. And guys like Alvarez and Marte are guys who you're fine with taking a high K rate because they bring XBH. The object of the game is to advance yourself and those in front of you as many bases as possible without getting out.

A guy who has a .400 OBP and .500 SLG and 50% K rate does me significantly more good than a bat handling slap hitter like Ben Revere who has a .340 OBP and .350 SLG with a 10% K rate.

Snider wasn't a black hole because he struck out. He was a black hole because he didn't get on base or hit for power.

The worst thing a hitter can do is GIDP. That's the only out that is significantly more detrimental than any other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 pm 

FWIW, our typical lineup with K% and BB%:

Marte 23.5%/4.9%
Walker 16.0%/9.4%
Cutch 15.6%/9.9%
Alvarez 32.1%/7.9%
Martin 20.2%/11.4% (went up after the extra inning game, regardless, 11.4% BB rate is outstanding)
Jones 22.0%/7.2% (like I said, he's a borderline black hole, but not to Snider level)
Tabata 14.0%/9.5%
Mercer 16.5%/6.4%
Pitcher 42.3%/2.3%

Pedro, Marte, and the pitchers are the only guys above our season average of 22.3%. If the pitchers are taken out, Jones is added in as being above our 21.5%.

Additionally, the league average is a 21.1% K rate and 7.9% BB rate. So we have 3 guys below average in K% and 4 above average in BB% with Alvarez a "push".

Other notable players:

Gaby Sanchez 17.5%/14.4%
Travis Snider 26.8%/8.7%
Brandon Inge 29.1%/1.8%
Clint Barmes 22.8%/4.7% (shockingly, it's gone down like 3% recently)

So yeah, the everyday lineup with Walker and Tabata in there isn't too brutal K wise.

Last edited by StarlingArcher on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

StarlingArcher wrote:
Really don't see the K's as an issue. They're pretty much doing what you'd want (avoiding the GIDP) and are pretty much rid of most of the issues. Sort of why I was hesitant to add Lambo in. Snider killed us with his K's and didn't compensate with XBH or OBP, which is what he'd need to do to have value. Lambo profiled as similar.

Walker coming back and Jose replacing Snider have pretty much made them a non-issue. Cutch, Walker, and Tabata are all at 16% or lower with BB rates near 10% (Walker is lowest at 9.4%). That's solid plate discipline coming in once they got healthy. Nobody is really a black hole with them anymore, although Jones has been flirting with it.

This idea that a league-average offense (outside of the pitchers) is sufficient ignores the fact that the Pirates are attempting to compete with, and beat, teams with far better offenses. They'll be going against teams with superior lineups in the playoffs and playing at a disadvantage.

The Pirates aren't trying to be just a decent team anymore. They're trying to win a championship. The pitching is likely to regress a bit given the FIP and xFIP numbers and due to guys throwing a lot of innings. So the offense has to pick up the slack. At this point in the season, even marginal upgrades could make a big difference because ONE MORE WIN could mean securing the division, hosting the wild card game, or missing the playoffs entirely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm 

We'll never compete with AL teams. Even the mighty Cardinals drop down to 6th in baseball once pitchers are added in. They're 4th in the NL, that's certainly more than "decent".

And, if you look at the K% and BB% numbers I posted, it's really an overblown issue contributed to primarily by guys who are gone or guys who are among the better players at their respective positions (Marte and Alvarez).

I mean, seriously, look at the teams behind us in the NL. Padres, D'backs, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Cubs, Rockies....we aren't looking at a bunch of world beaters around baseball. It's not the steroid era.

Even the Reds, who are behind us, have some massive holes. LF is a huge issue, SS is an issue (Cozart fields well, but we're talking offense), C is an issue, 3B is an issue, Phillips isn't hitting that well. This whole "we need to be #1 or #2 for it to be a good offense" is entirely unrealistic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:39 pm 

The Reds do not have a good offense. Our numbers would be so much better in their ballpark.

Still, we're 4th in the majors in strikeouts. The fact that we have some guys who don't strike out a lot, and some other guys who contribute offensively despite a high number of strikeouts, does not change the fact that, as a team, we have struck out a lot.

5 k's today through 3 innings. Not a bit out of character.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The Reds do not have a good offense. Our numbers would be so much better in their ballpark.

Still, we're 4th in the majors in strikeouts. The fact that we have some guys who don't strike out a lot, and some other guys who contribute offensively despite a high number of strikeouts, does not change the fact that, as a team, we have struck out a lot.

Right but it's the usual suspects (Marte, Alvarez, Jones, pitcher spot) and then a guy who only K's 15.6% of the time in Cutch.

Don't see the issue. And again, we're using numbers that include guys who don't even play here anymore. That does absolutely zero good in telling you anything about this offense or this team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:44 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I have to admit that, as an old-timer, who has been following the Pirates since the 60's.... some of these new-fangled stats confuse me. But I can understand the concept of OPS and WAR and so-forth...but strikeouts adjusted for ballpark?? That was going to be my exact question when I read it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm 

PNC has a lot of those giant moths and mosquitoes, forcing batters to hack at them in self-defense.

Hence, the park increases the K ratio. Simple, really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 am 

Ralphie wrote:

And yet, the Pirates still have a league average offense. The K rate of our batters is not holding us back. If anything, it is our lack of power and our inability to draw walks.

Someone upthread mentioned it earlier, but look at the Atlanta Braves. They have the most strikeouts in the NL, and yet are 2nd in the league in runs per game. Clearly K rate is not worth worrying about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think everybody realizes strikeouts are bad and not good. Like, hitting the ball is better than not hitting it.

Outs are also not good. The objective of the game is to not be out. I keep telling you guys, good things happen when the Pirates don't get out. It's like nobody believes me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am 

Willton wrote:
If anything, it is our lack of power and our inability to draw walks.

It's probably more of a reflection of the quality of the rest of the league but they are above average power-wise, sixth in the NL. They actually finished fourth last year due to McCutchen's 30+ HR year, Alvarez's breakout power and Jones's career year. Walker had his career best as well. Also the crazy number of HRs per AB McKenry put up.

The biggest culprit for the power being down this year is undoubtedly the rapid regression of Garrett Jones, to me. When he finally has a quality platoon partner and gets to face RHP near-exclusively, you anticipate a lock for 25-30 HRs, the fact that he is on pace for 15 or so is a drastic disappointment. You can point to McCutchen's power as well, but I always predicted last year would be a career outlier. Alvarez is the only one who will improve on last year's numbers, and the only one that was even close to doing so.