Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bradley to Cubs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm 

3 yrs, $30 mil. Another pretty good deal in favor of the team. How long before the union cries collusion?

Post subject: Re: Bradley to Cubs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:55 pm 

He'll be injured and placed on the DL during the National Anthem on Opening Day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 pm 

Kingston wrote:
He'll be injured and placed on the DL during the National Anthem on Opening Day.

Yet still a better player then anyone on the pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 am 

Ryann wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Perhaps, in terms of raw talent. And I understand youre being sarcastic. But Id rather have a full season of McLouth and Doumit than Bradley's fractured seasons of shattered expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:00 am 

I'd have liked to have seen Bradley in a Pirate uniform...and at a reasonable price

The man can flat out hit...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:51 am 

Kingston wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Perhaps, in terms of raw talent. And I understand youre being sarcastic. But Id rather have a full season of McLouth and Doumit than Bradley's fractured seasons of shattered expectations.

Bradley over a full healthy season is an MVP candidate. This move really looks good for the Cubs right now. Not only does it give them another thumper in the middle of that lineup, but it gives them trade options at the deadline. With Fonzy in left, and Bradley in either right or center, it lets you platoon Reed Johnson and Fukudome in the other outfield spot and frees up Felix Pie for a possible trade for pitching at the deadline. Given the Brew Crew's losses in the rotation, I'm not sure who's going to challenge the Cubs this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am 

Jeremy wrote:

Bradley over a full healthy season is an MVP candidate.

Hes had one 140 game season and one 120 game season since 2000. He hurts himself just yelling at umpires. At some point, after looking at a clear pattern over the man's career, its not unreasonable to expect he'll break down this season, even more reasonable to conclude he'll spend some serious time on the DL over the span of a 3 year deal. I dont care how talented a man is, he has to play in order to be helpful.

Let me ask it this way. Theres no question he had his best season last season. But would those who support this 3year deal have felt the same way after his 2007 season when he played 61 games, or the year before or even before that when he played 95 and 75 games? Because if history is any indication, those are going to be the kinds of seasons the Cubs are paying for. Talented, sure. But so brittle that his talent never amounted to more than 22 homers or 77 rbi in any season... and only 1 other time gave his team more than 15 homers or 60 rbi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Jeremy wrote:

Bradley over a full healthy season is an MVP candidate...

Bradley over a full season is a rather oxymoronic statement, as the two simply don't exist in the real world.

Besides, I would not want to be taking action on the first fan to get hit by a Bradley-thrown bat.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:20 am 

Kingston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Bradley over a full healthy season is an MVP candidate.

Hes had one 140 game season and one 120 game season since 2000. He hurts himself just yelling at umpires. At some point, after looking at a clear pattern over the man's career, its not unreasonable to expect he'll break down this season, even more reasonable to conclude he'll spend some serious time on the DL over the span of a 3 year deal. I dont care how talented a man is, he has to play in order to be helpful.

Let me ask it this way. Theres no question he had his best season last season. But would those who support this 3year deal have felt the same way after his 2007 season when he played 61 games, or the year before or even before that when he played 95 and 75 games? Because if history is any indication, those are going to be the kinds of seasons the Cubs are paying for. Talented, sure. But so brittle that his talent never amounted to more than 22 homers or 77 rbi in any season... and only 1 other time gave his team more than 15 homers or 60 rbi.

Fair points, but this is still a good deal if you're the Chicago Cubs. Even if Bradley spends a couple of stints on the DL, the Cubs have enough depth to cover him. That same depth could help him stay off the DL, because he can spend plenty of days resting that fragile body.

At the end of the day, I like the move on Chicago's part. Better than signing a backup infielder with no pop and an average glove.