Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rays Sign Burrell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:55 pm 

2 years, $16 mil. Very reasonable contract, IMO. He will help that lineup, which struggled against lefties last year.

I wonder where that sets Adam Dunn's value?

Dunn I presume would get a longer deal, and his value is probably higher and will continue to grow as alternatives are taken off the market.

Post subject: Re: Rays Sign Burrell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:05 pm 

I gotta say, Im in shock here. This guy has averaged 30 HRs over the last 4 years, gets on base at a .365-.400 clip. For 8 million? Stiffs are getting more than that. Tremendous move by the Rays.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:15 pm 

I don't get it either. A hell of a good value for a guy who is a walk master deluxe. The Yanks and Sox better lookout cause this lineup is scary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:50 pm 

That lineup and that pitching staff...

Tampa is going to be tough next season...

It just sucks that 3 of the top teams in the American League are all in the AL East and one of them wont make the Playoffs....

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:55 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
It just sucks that 3 of the top teams in the American League are all in the AL East and one of them wont make the Playoffs....

Actually, I think thats what makes it fun. David vs TWO Goliaths. And someone has to go home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 pm 

If I were the Phils, I think I would have rather had Burrell at $8mil/yr than Ibanez at $10mil/yr But I'm not the Phils, I guess...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm 

BBF wrote:
If I were the Phils, I think I would have rather had Burrell at $8mil/yr than Ibanez at $10mil/yr But I'm not the Phils, I guess...

I dont think Phillies management read the marketplace correctly, might have assumed Pat would go for alot more. I know I did.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 pm 

I said if before and I'll say it again, the Yankees are not that mighty.

At this point they're riding the balky right arm of AJ Burnett in to the divisional race. The lineup, even with Texeira isn't anything to brag about. Your two big bats are A Rod and Texeira and one of those bats takes clutch ABs off. Outside of those two, it's a pretty average lineup as far as teams in that division go.

And their rotation is a rock and four huge question marks. Sabathia is on a bullet train for Cooperstown, but who's going to play Robin to his Batman? AJ Burnett? That's a lot of pressure for a dude who has a balky right arm and a head full of junk. Joba? Maybe, but he's untested. Wang? That should speak for itself. And the #5 spot is a giant black hole right now. Kennedy...Hughes...Aceves? Who knows.

Before we crown the Yanks, why don't we let them play a couple of months huh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:28 am 

Jeremy wrote:

At this point they're riding the balky right arm of AJ Burnett in to the divisional race. The lineup, even with Texeira isn't anything to brag about. Your two big bats are A Rod and Texeira and one of those bats takes clutch ABs off. Outside of those two, it's a pretty average lineup as far as teams in that division go.

And their rotation is a rock and four huge question marks. Sabathia is on a bullet train for Cooperstown, but who's going to play Robin to his Batman? AJ Burnett? That's a lot of pressure for a dude who has a balky right arm and a head full of junk. Joba? Maybe, but he's untested. Wang? That should speak for itself. And the #5 spot is a giant black hole right now. Kennedy...Hughes...Aceves? Who knows.

Sure looks better than our Buccos don't it? I'd be feeling pretty good if I was a Yankme fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Sure looks better than our Buccos don't it? I'd be feeling pretty good if I was a Yankme fan.

Really? You'd feel good about the third best lineup and rotation in your own division?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 am 

much better than having the 6th best... wouldn't you say? At least they have a chance.

Now I'm not making a point for the Pirates to go buy players, I am just simply rebutting Jeremy and his statement that the Yankees aren't that good.

Even with a makeshift rotation last season, they almost made the playoffs. Now you add Sabathia, Burnett to a healthy Wang, a Texiera to Arod, Jeter, and Cano. Face it, they got a ton better. Sure the Rays are good, but they all had career years.

Please don't mistake me, I hate the Yankees and all they stand for, but reality is reality.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:13 pm 

I have to say, Im sort of leaning towards Jeremy's position here. I probably have more regard for the Yanks than he does, and I believe outspending your opponents by 60 million tilts the playing field in an obscene way, but look... They have an aging catcher, Jeters skills and numbers are eroding, Cano isnt living up to the hype, their outfield is hardly awe inspiring. Burnett? After his injury history in Toronto I never thought Id see the day hed get a deal like this. Hughes is a question mark. And here is some heresy for you, so is CC. Anyone fat enough to make David Wells seem almost anorexic is a body breakdown waiting to happen, especially with as many innings as he has under his Ralph Kramden sized belt. Im not saying theyre a bad team, theyre excellent. But an All Star team they are not, whether theyve improved themselves since last season or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 pm 

The Yankees would win any other division in baseball. They're that good.

But in the AL East, they're still a third place team.

They have to have a lot of things go right for them to challenge the Rays and Red Sox for the division.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:28 pm 

I agree, jeremy. And heres one other thing to consider; these guys aint in Kansas anymore. Yes, theyve all played in pressure situations, but the Bronx is a whole different animal, and expectations for these guys will be ridiculous. So lets go back a year. CC has that awful April, Burnett's All Star Break era is hovering around 5.00, and Tex doesnt get his power game going til June. That happens this year and it causes the Yanks to get off to a slow start, its gonna get ugly. I wouldnt hold my breath that this will have an impact on their long term performances, but you never know. Theyre more human than they are rich.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 pm 

Yup......New York is the pressure cooker.

That's why the Rays still have the upper hand in that division. They can play pressure free baseball whereas their rivals in the Bronx are under a giant microscope every second of the day.