Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Agents
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm 

Willton wrote:
Larger advice: do not make wagers with anyone on the internet who you have not met in person. If you think that such a person would actually pay on a wager, you're deluded.

As a participant in the thread that contained this "wager", I will add that anyone with half a brain realized at the time that Bertie's bet was in jest. A canard played against this board's resident troll. The irony is that a certain person now attempts to use this "wager" as some sort of half assed character assassination plot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:30 pm 

Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:
We may never know what kind of money the pirates or yankees make. They are not required to show us the bottom line on the income statement/balance sheet. BH might be right and they are pocketing it, or they may really be investing it all back in (I assume the truth is somewhere in between these two). This is a problem MLB has, you just never know.

Forbes may not have the exact finance numbers but they are not going to be off by much. If they were, MLB teams would disclaim what they report. The Pirate ownership has claimed to be paying down debt. Thats a indirect way of putting money in their pockets.
Bertie's request....why listen or trust what this guy says or wants? He made a small wager with me(April 2007)and lost it in Sept that year and has yet to honor it. He has made lame excuses as to why he will not pay it(yet I read he buys Plasma TVs) so of course he wants to ignore me. Advice/request: do not make a wager with this person.

Larger advice: do not make wagers with anyone on the internet who you have not met in person. If you think that such a person would actually pay on a wager, you're deluded.

You are right...I should have known...still just alerting others about that guys character and integrity.

...I stated I dont think the Forbes numbers are dead on right but they are one of the better Business publications. Again if the numbers were that far off base, the teams or MLB would have a law suit against them. I'd trust their numbers before I'd trust what Pirate ownership spins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:33 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Willton wrote:

As a participant in the thread that contained this "wager", I will add that anyone with half a brain realized at the time that Bertie's bet was in jest. A canard played against this board's resident troll. The irony is that a certain person now attempts to use this "wager" as some sort of half assed character assassination plot.

No it was not. Bertie & I have PM -ed back and forth on this. You do not know what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:34 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Willton wrote:

Do you think that if everyone on the board pitched in and came up with that $50 that BH would go away for ever? If so, sign me up!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

BBF wrote:
Do you think that if everyone on the board pitched in and came up with that $50 that BH would go away for ever? If so, sign me up!

He wouldn't go away.

Oh, and for anyone who cares, when we had the chat option Bertie and I had a real time discussion about the "wager" during one of the Pirates games (the only reason most people come here). I can say with certainty that Bertie never considered the bet anything but a rouse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 pm 

BH, its obvious you care very little for your reputation, or even integrity for that matter. But your incesive desire to "fire" up new and old posters alike reaks of sheer immaturity.

1. I questioned your age before because I was sure you were a highly intelligent teen playing around with people on this board for your amusement. Much to my suprise I found that you are in your 40's. This kind of behaviour is not prudent of a "mature" individual such as yourself.

2. I also determined that you are an intelligent individual but was very disappointed in the lack of substance your posts provide. I almost feel like your knowledge is being wasted on a silly argument that you feel necessary to grasp tightly. I have not once seen a discussion by yourself in the "Rotunda" that didn't contain the same BS that you repeatedly vomit post after post.

3. I find myself torn between ignoring you and somewhat hoping that you provide insight into another aspect of the the franchise in some other thread(not related to the front office). But by your own declaration, you don't follow the Pirates at all. So how does that even validate the argument you currently are supporting? Outside of a few articles in Forbes or on the internet, you have no knowledge whatsoever of the organizational structure change, nor of personnel, nor of actual FA examples that you scream for like a B rated horror flick chick.

4. If you pop in here from time to time just to get your rocks off by priming the pumps on some passionate hot-headed fans(such as myself), I would immediately assume that you are a weak-minded insecure individual that only finds power in starting arguments in an anonymous and safe atmosphere. On the other hand, you are an angry individual looking for an avenue to vent by simply taunting someone enough for them to fire back at you by calling you names. Then in some bizarre twist, you cry foul, and seek sympathy for being "battered." Frankly BH, you are a confusing character, and I admit that it intrigues me that a grown man such as yourself acts in such a fashion.

5. What I would love for you to do is to offer something "different" than your current argument, lets just say that the rest of us GET THE POINT. Really, we heard you, and heard you, and heard you again. Do some follow up on actual Pirates baseball, comment on something OTHER than the owner. I'll respond, I'll will discuss with you another aspect of Pirates baseball, hey and even if you can find something positive, it still doesn't mean you have to change your position on ownership. I promise I won't call you an apologist. Honest.

Otherwise BH, your wasting ours and your time, many want you to go away. I just want you to actually discuss something else. Your pessimism worries me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 am 

Piratefan13

Thanks for your concern and psychoanalysis. It made me smile.... but you dont need to worry. I'm a Pirate fan on hold ...really...and over & over again I heard the same repeated BS from ownership and dont follow. They have taken the hope away. I wont go on about the reasons...you've read it all before.
As far as wasting yours or my time on message boards......some might consider talking about any topic(sports, politics, religion)a waste of time...some might consider it entertainment. I know myself I get bored or distracted at work and post on boards, but I dont just post about how the Pirates are pathetic.(see the other sections on this board)

BBF

If you can get me the $50 to bail Bertie out, I will agree not to post about ownership in here. How about paying me and let Bertie pay you back.? Work something out. I will still post on other topics......if I dont honor my word, just delete my posts or ban me. Fair enough?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:30 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Piratefan13

Thanks for your concern and psychoanalysis. It made me smile.... but you dont need to worry. I'm a Pirate fan on hold ...really...and over & over again I heard the same repeated BS from ownership and dont follow. They have taken the hope away. I wont go on about the reasons...you've read it all before.
As far as wasting yours or my time on message boards......some might consider talking about any topic(sports, politics, religion)a waste of time...some might consider it entertainment. I know myself I get bored or distracted at work and post on boards, but I dont just post about how the Pirates are pathetic.(see the other sections on this board)

BBF

If you can get me the $50 to bail Bertie out, I will agree not to post about ownership in here. How about paying me and let Bertie pay you back.? Work something out. I will still post on other topics......if I dont honor my word, just delete my posts or ban me. Fair enough?

Why not just ban him and save that $50 for something like beer on opening day...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm 

I think a nice gift certificate to the Pirate gift shop would be great. That would "enable" him to buy whatever he wanted from the Pirates. Maybe he could pick it up directly at Bertie's house....cheerio BS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:37 am 

Not an expert here but..... looks like blackmail to me. Pay now and he just keeps coming back for more.

No, the only solution in this kind of thing is to just not ever comment back so he runs out of people to outrage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 am 

bradf wrote:
I think a nice gift certificate to the Pirate gift shop would be great. That would "enable" him to buy whatever he wanted from the Pirates. Maybe he could pick it up directly at Bertie's house....cheerio BS.

now that made me laugh. :D :D

But since bail outs are common place these days and after reading Bertie's "Merry Christmas" post, maybe BBF was on to somthing to help pay off his wager debt. Again If you can get me the $50 to bail Bertie out, I will agree not to post about ownership in here. ......if I dont honor my word, just delete my posts or ban me. Fair enough?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
bradf wrote:

now that made me laugh. :D :D

But since bail outs are common place these days and after reading Bertie's "Merry Christmas" post, maybe BBF was on to somthing to help pay off his wager debt. Again If you can get me the $50 to bail Bertie out, I will agree not to post about ownership in here. ......if I dont honor my word, just delete my posts or ban me. Fair enough?

Lets keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm 

First, I'm glad I made you laugh...I truly am. But on the subject at hand, I'm a little confused. Let's see if I've got this right....I'll expand on the "bail-out" analogy to make sure I understand what you are asking.

You have a consumer (Bertie) who has, by your reckoning, defaulted on a bogus business deal in which he was apparently unaware of the terms. So while crying about his lack of integrity, the Big Bad Bank of Bullish goes to the rest of the citizenry (the rest of the board) and asks for a bail-out, all the while extolling his own virtues in the matter.

For all your posturing about integrity, we find out that yours is for sale. The message that has been so important to you that you have to beat people over the head with it, will cost just $50.

I am reminded of two punch-lines:
"She was in it for love, but she wasn't above the money." ....and...
"Well, we have established what you are now, madam. Now we are just haggling over the price."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:54 pm 

STOP QUOTING BH.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

Brad F
To clear up your confusion
I am not the one who first made the suggestion to have someone else pay off Bertie's wager....BBF did. Go back and read this thread. The only one who is bogus is Bertie who was well aware of the term(Pirates had to have a winning record for the 2007 season(very simple to understand)...he made the bet and lost and has given me one lame excuse after another. First he said double or nothing, then his wife wont let him, he is in England etc..
It would be nice if Bertie would honor his bet, but since BBF made a suggestion, I'm willing to listen to alternate ways to collect a debt owed. All I'm trying to do is collect a debt owed. If you think not posting about the Pirate ownership as a way to collect a debt is lacking integrity, thats your opinion. I think most people would feel that someone who makes a wager and does not pay up is the one lacking integrity.
Look at it this way....BBF would be happy along with others if they didnt read my ownership rants and I would collect on my wager....a win-win for all...and what is wrong with that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 pm 

Now, there's an idea that we can run with!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
Brad F
To clear up your confusion
I am not the one who first made the suggestion to have someone else pay off Bertie's wager....BBF did. Go back and read this thread. The only one who is bogus is Bertie who was well aware of the term(Pirates had to have a winning record for the 2007 season(very simple to understand)...he made the bet and lost and has given me one lame excuse after another. First he said double or nothing, then his wife wont let him, he is in England etc..
It would be nice if Bertie would honor his bet, but since BBF made a suggestion, I'm willing to listen to alternate ways to collect a debt owed. All I'm trying to do is collect a debt owed. If you think not posting about the Pirate ownership as a way to collect a debt is lacking integrity, thats your opinion. I think most people would feel that someone who makes a wager and does not pay up is the one lacking integrity.
Look at it this way....BBF would be happy along with others if they didnt read my ownership rants and I would collect on my wager....a win-win for all...and what is wrong with that?

Bump with an extra special quote on top for the Bullish fans. I don't necessarily agree with Bullish's posts all the time, but I find it strange that he's given such a hard time to the point that you're all calling for his banishment merely for being cynical about a team that has been a pock mark on the city for 16 years and counting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 am 

Quote:
Bump with an extra special quote on top for the Bullish fans. I don't necessarily agree with Bullish's posts all the time, but I find it strange that he's given such a hard time to the point that you're all calling for his banishment merely for being cynical about a team that has been a pock mark on the city for 16 years and counting.

Did I give him a hard time? Well... a little... I was clear with BH about the things he has done to reward him with such malice from the rest of the posters. Omgarrd, people here are tired of him, they want him to leave. Its noble for you to stick up for him but seriously, I have tried to encourage him to conversate about something other than the ownership. We ALL know his viewpoint, we ALL KNOW he doesn't like Bob Nutting(who subsequently owns more of the Pirates as of this morning). We ALL KNOW that we've had 16 years of losing, jeez man, you guys have to stop looking back and start looking forward. All of this whining about spending money to "win," all of this crying about how we've lost for 16 years is driving me CRAZY. Go watch the Steelers for a few seasons until the Pirates start making their ascent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 am 

omgardd wrote:

There's a difference between being a cynic and being a troll. Bullish is the latter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next