Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Agents
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:42 pm 

I keep reading that we have not signed any FAs this winter and have only picked up one utility infielder. I don't see that as a bad thing. We have seen that approach and don't need anymore of it thank you.

I'm still ok with building up the slow way with the draft and development of players. Trades have help us in with development of younger guys. The key, of course, is to not make mistakes which make it so difficult for small market teams to overcome. But the money is going in the right direction, IMO.

Don't worry, be happy.

Post subject: Re: Free Agents
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:03 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I keep reading that we have not signed any FAs this winter and have only picked up one utility infielder. I don't see that as a bad thing. We have seen that approach and don't need anymore of it thank you.

I'm still ok with building up the slow way with the draft and development of players. Trades have help us in with development of younger guys. The key, of course, is to not make mistakes which make it so difficult for small market teams to overcome. But the money is going in the right direction, IMO.

I absolutely agree.

I give Huntington alot of credit because of the Doumit deal. He has shown, in theory and practice, that a talented young player can be held onto for 8 years. For me, this goes a long way towards addressing our disadvantage when it comes to signing big name free agents and retaining our own stars.

Second, we are finally taking Latin America seriously, something that should have been a no brainer years ago. Its like the old days down there; theres no draft to contend with, its all about scouting, and signing costs are comparatively inexpensive. Theres a lot of talent down there and the playing field is level. We should have as great a level of involvement there as any major league team, and our guys seem to appreciate this and are making great strides in that direction.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat. Even the Red Sux are talking about a greater emphasis on development and less on these obscene free agent signings, although that may just be post-Teixeira sour grapes. But its a view being embraced by a clear majority of major league teams. So let the Yankers keep trying to buy themselves a pennant while teams like ours construct exciting teams of young stars in their early, mid, and late 20s and very early 30s.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
............ the money is going in the right direction, IMO.
Don't worry, be happy

Nutting and company are not worrying and are happy. The money is going in the right direction....right in their pockets...business as usual!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:49 am 

What the hell...I'll bite....

In your infinite wisdom Mr. BS...I mean BH, who would you have acquired? Oh wait, that's right. You claim that you don't pay attention to the current events in Major League Baseball, yet you continue to throw your two cents in anytime the mention of money, Nutting or anything of the sort is brought up.

Wow...I have spent a decent time away from the board since the season ended, but sadly I see that this troll still lurks. UGH!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
What the hell...I'll bite....

In your infinite wisdom Mr. BS...I mean BH, who would you have acquired?

I wish I could answer that question but I dont follow. However when the team is always near the bottom of payroll and making 15-20 million in profits, it does not take much to figure out where the money is going.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm 

And which teams dont make 15-20 million in profits? Do you think he should take the 20 million, put it towards payroll, and run the Bucs like a non profit organization?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm 

Kingston wrote:
And which teams dont make 15-20 million in profits?

Which teams?....well here are a few

Philadelphia Phillies 14.3
Seattle Mariners 10.1
Baltimore Orioles 7.7
Kansas City Royals 7.4
Arizona Diamondbacks 5.9
Detroit Tigers 4.6
Toronto Blue Jays -1.8
Boston Red Sox -19.1
New York Yankees -47.3
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz ... ncome.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Kingston wrote:
And which teams dont make 15-20 million in profits?

Which teams?....well here are a few

Philadelphia Phillies 14.3
Seattle Mariners 10.1
Baltimore Orioles 7.7
Kansas City Royals 7.4
Arizona Diamondbacks 5.9
Detroit Tigers 4.6
Toronto Blue Jays -1.8
Boston Red Sox -19.1
New York Yankees -47.3
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz ... ncome.html

Oh yeah, Im certain the Yankees are 47 mil in the hole and the Sox are down 20 when you include all their revenue. Thats why they spend 140 and 200 million payroll per season, because ownership there is pleased to lose that amount of cash annually. What are you an idiot? Now try the numbers with all forms of revenue included, starting with media.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:31 pm 

Kingston,

You're still pretty new here...but one thing to remember is to stay away from Bullish, he brings nothing here but trying to stir up trouble and talk bad...

In the past he's been quick to call people on here names, then would be the 1st to cry about it when the same disrespect is shown to him...avoid him and his posts and you'll live longer...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:48 pm 

Poor guy, something must have gone very wrong during his fomative years. Arguing with him only causes stress and stress is an absolute killer of many people.

Don't worry, be happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston,

You're still pretty new here...but one thing to remember is to stay away from Bullish, he brings nothing here but trying to stir up trouble and talk bad...

In the past he's been quick to call people on here names, then would be the 1st to cry about it when the same disrespect is shown to him...avoid him and his posts and you'll live longer...

Thats reasonable advice. Ive run into guys who troll before, obviously, on a variety of Boards, but this is the first time Ive met one who is so bad at it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 pm 

Quote:
Oh yeah, Im certain the Yankees are 47 mil in the hole and the Sox are down 20 when you include all their revenue. Thats why they spend 140 and 200 million payroll per season, because ownership there is pleased to lose that amount of cash annually. What are you an idiot? Now try the numbers with all forms of revenue included, starting with media.

I did not make an assumptions...just stated the facts and backed it up. Now the Yankees and Red Sox have a net worth more than most other teams, but fact is, they lost money.
And its ironic, you call me an idiot yet others say I name call...stay away from a name caller right naddan?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:51 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Quote:

I did not make an assumptions...just stated the facts and backed it up. Now the Yankees and Red Sox have a net worth more than most other teams, but fact is, they lost money.
And its ironic, you call me an idiot yet others say I name call...stay away from a name caller right naddan?

LOL, you backed up nothing. Im done with you, youre on your own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 am 

A personal request:
I'd be grateful to those of you who still think it a worthwhile exercise to engage in debate with BH if you could refrain from using the quote button when responding to him, as this reveals the text of his posts (in the body of your reply) which are otherwise not displayed to me as he is on my ignore list.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 am 

We may never know what kind of money the pirates or yankees make. They are not required to show us the bottom line on the income statement/balance sheet. BH might be right and they are pocketing it, or they may really be investing it all back in (I assume the truth is somewhere in between these two). This is a problem MLB has, you just never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 am 

Bertie wrote:
A personal request:
I'd be grateful to those of you who still think it a worthwhile exercise to engage in debate with BH if you could refrain from using the quote button when responding to him, as this reveals the text of his posts (in the body of your reply) which are otherwise not displayed to me as he is on my ignore list.
Thank you.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:
We may never know what kind of money the pirates or yankees make. They are not required to show us the bottom line on the income statement/balance sheet. BH might be right and they are pocketing it, or they may really be investing it all back in (I assume the truth is somewhere in between these two). This is a problem MLB has, you just never know.

Forbes may not have the exact finance numbers but they are not going to be off by much. If they were, MLB teams would disclaim what they report. The Pirate ownership has claimed to be paying down debt. Thats a indirect way of putting money in their pockets.
Bertie's request....why listen or trust what this guy says or wants? He made a small wager with me(April 2007)and lost it in Sept that year and has yet to honor it. He has made lame excuses as to why he will not pay it(yet I read he buys Plasma TVs) so of course he wants to ignore me. Advice/request: do not make a wager with this person.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:

Forbes may not have the exact finance numbers but they are not going to be off by much. If they were, MLB teams would disclaim what they report. The Pirate ownership has claimed to be paying down debt. Thats a indirect way of putting money in their pockets.
Bertie's request....why listen or trust what this guy says or wants? He made a small wager with me(April 2007)and lost it in Sept that year and has yet to honor it. He has made lame excuses as to why he will not pay it(yet I read he buys Plasma TVs) so of course he wants to ignore me. Advice/request: do not make a wager with this person.

Larger advice: do not make wagers with anyone on the internet who you have not met in person. If you think that such a person would actually pay on a wager, you're deluded.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:21 pm 

Even larger advice: Don't believe everything you read, especially about finances, and even more especially, about pro sports.

If you believe everything that Forbes prints, then I've got a ponzi scam for you to invest in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:

Larger advice: do not make wagers with anyone on the internet who you have not met in person. If you think that such a person would actually pay on a wager, you're deluded.

Thats another typical response from Bullish..."Lets make a wager"...Get over yourself

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...