Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What I don't understand
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:21 pm 

I am tired of PED talk just like everyone else, but...MLB knows and has known who they were going to suspend for quite sometime, but they let them keep playing and playing. Nelson Cruz, who cheated, won the game today for the rangers against the team they are chasing in the standings. So the cheater won the game and it won't cost his team anything. Complete BS. If something is up then pull the plug on the cheaters, instead teams are getting phoney wins with phoney players that know they will get suspended but can keep playing.... Not right!! If I see a robbery I'm not going to call the cops in a week or two, I will do what it takes to end the robbery as soon as possible.

Post subject: Re: What I don't understand
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am 

If they just suspend Cruz, he has a right to appeal and keep playing until the appeal is resolved.

This has been dragging on because they are trying to get agreements with as many players as possible, to minimize the appeals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

That guy who robbed the place may get out on bail for a few months before his trial. I don't see much of a difference in 50 games starting now or 50 games starting in a week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

There has been some discussion and/or speculation that MLB may be dragging its feet because it wants to issue the suspensions when teams have no more than 50 games left in the season. Idea being that the players suspended wouldn't have the opportunity to come back or get any playing time before the playoffs begin.

If Cruz or Peralta were to receive 50 game suspensions 3 weeks ago, they would have had the opportunity to get back in the lineup and get some games under their belt before the playoffs started. If they aren't suspended until later this week, they'll have zero chance to play any games before the playoffs and that would mean that they are "cold" coming into the playoffs after a long lay-off.

Also, if there is an appeal of the suspension and that is heard before season's end and the suspension is upheld, the suspended player risks forgoing playoff eligibility.

Again . . . nothing formal on this . . . purely relaying what I had heard and what has been running through my head.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:17 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
This has been dragging on because they are trying to get agreements with as many players as possible, to minimize the appeals.

This is also accurate as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Compared to our justice system, MLB is flying through this process. I didn't expect any suspensions during this season. Also, there was a tweet I saw that suggested that by following due process and not acting recklessly, MLB has the union on their side. Which is huge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

And remember...there are zero positive tests here. It's not black and white.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:04 pm 

That the Players Union was not publically and vocally defending these players speaks volumes about the pile of evidence accumulated by MLB. If the Pete Rose denial and lies thought one lesson, it's don't fight a battle that you are likely going to lose.

Last edited by No. 9 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 pm 

And the shoe drops on ARod.

I don't expect the Player's Union to fight a 50 game suspension. Latest reports have the Union contacting MLB and practically begging for MLB to consider a mere 50 game suspension.

I do expect that they will fight the "enhanced" penalty for what has been described as ARod's efforts to cover up his involvement by buying and destroying documentary evidence.

As are many on this Board, I am ARod "weary," but there is no disputing that its a big story and a tough day in baseball history. This was the guy who was going to break the HR record and was the proverbial "good guy" of baseball . . . and he is going down in flames . . . hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm 

It may go down in history as a tough day but I'm really glad the official announcement finally came out. I was getting tired of hearing it.

I'm assuming that A-Rod is the only one appealing, so hopefully we won't have to hear too much more about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I'm assuming that A-Rod is the only one appealing...

No quit in that horse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 pm 

Arod and whoever is giving him advice are a bunch of idiots. He is the only one who is appealing and it is all about the money. :o :o :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:45 pm 

A shark is about to be released back into the water. Wait and see what happens when the Yankees are free of 150 million from the books. No team is safe from losing potential free agents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm 

They will not be free of anything after 2014 and have a multitude of potential FA's playing out there contracts this year including Robinson Cano.....They will get some relief in that there luxury tax will be reduced but they could be left with a pretty crappy team with another big payroll..... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm 

The fascinating part of the A-Rod/Yankees conflict is the fact that Joe Girardi knows he has to win games to keep his job. Yankees brass and fans will not give him a mulligan because A-Rod was caught cheating.

Therefore, Girardi hopes A-Rod can play and contribute at 3rd base, given the woeful production the Yankees have had at the position so far.