Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liriano -- Burnett
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 am 

First off --A really cool baseball site---BrooksBaseball.net

Liriano is a lefty -- Burnett is a righty
Both throw 4 seam fastballs. Both throw curve balls. Both throw nasty sinkers. Both have change ups and Liriano has as slider. As Bob Walk put it during the last game Burnett pitched; "They are virtually the same pitcher. Ones from the left and the other is from the right."

This begs the question for the group. Does the fact that AJ Burnett pitches the day after Liriano hurt AJ due to major league hitters seeing the same style of pitchers back to back? Would it benefit AJ to pitch after Locke instead?

Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: Liriano -- Burnett
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am 

The pirates best two pitchers should be 1-2 in the rotation. Burnett doesn't get nearly the run support Liriano does. In Burnett's five starts since returning from the DL he's given up no more than 2 earned runs. The team has won 4 of those 5 starts. He hadn't earned an individual win. The 8 starts prior to the calf injury, he allowed 3 our fewer earned runs resulting in one individual win. The team is winning the games he starts, that's the most important stat. They're not giving him the run support before he is pulled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm 

A pitchers pitches, and gets guys out, regardless of where he is in the rotation, who he follows, etc.

Burnett does not have the record he could have.

Liriano has been their best pitcher and could start getting some Cy Young talk, along with Comeback player of the year.

Liriano and Locke could BOTH get Cy Young talk.

Wandy Rodriguez has nearly been forgotten about.

This rotation, and the whole staff has been AMAZING!

Just look at the NUMBERS and think about them. Liriano is now 8 innings short of having enough innings to qualify for ERA title. He would be second behind Kershaw. Locke and Burnett are also in top 10!

PITCHERS WHO HAVE STARTED 8 GAMES OR MORE:

Liriano 12-4 2.02 (16 starts)
Locke 9-3 2.36 (21 starts)
Burnett 4-7 2.86 (19 starts)
Gomez 2-0 3.26 ( 8 starts) (overall numbers, not just his starts)
Rodriguez 6-4 3.59 (12 starts)
Cole 5-5 3.69 (10 starts)
Morton 3-3 4.07 ( 9 starts)

While McDonald 2-2 5.76 (6 starts), Sanchez 0-3 11.85 ( 4 starts) and Irwin 0-0 7.71 in one start had failed, Cumton did very well in his 4 "emergency" starts 1-1 2.78. That my friends has been an amazing rotation!

Now onto the pen. I don't have the "inherited runners" numbers, but they are very good.

Melancon 55 games 2-1 0.86 with 6 saves
Watson 46 games 3-1 3.33 with 2 saves
Grilli 45 games 0-1 2.34 with 30 saves
Wilson 42 games 6-1 2.17
Mazzarro 37 games 6-2 2.92 with 1 save
Morris 36 games 4-4 2.68

This staff has just been totally insane.

Now, to get ahead of myself a little bit. Hoping that Grilli comes back sooner rather than later...does he go back to closer role, or do you leave Melancon there?

Also, fun question to throw out there....it has been discussed a little here... We need one win. Not looking at what follows, who do you start? I think I go with Liriano.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:06 pm 

Grilli gets his position back. I'm a firm believer of starters getting their spot back when they come back from injury. Now, we've obviously seen that Melancon has got the stuff to be the closer, but I think we all knew that anyway. So, if Grilli is ineffective when he returns, promote Melancon on the basis of his stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 pm 

val wrote:
Grilli gets his position back. I'm a firm believer of starters getting their spot back when they come back from injury. Now, we've obviously seen that Melancon has got the stuff to be the closer, but I think we all knew that anyway. So, if Grilli is ineffective when he returns, promote Melancon on the basis of his stuff.

I read in the game program yesterday a statement from Grilli, obviously made before his injury, about how it's his dream to be on the mound at the end of a division-clinching game. Hope he is back in time and hope that it happens for him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm not a believer in that theory BUT I would also give Grilli his job back in this situation. I hope they find another awesome reliever for next year so that they can use Melancon in high leverage situations where his awesomeness at pitching would be best utilized.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think the injuries to Grilli and Wand Rod could be a blessing in disguise. Grilli's arm and head will be refreshed when he gets back. If Wandy makes it back he'll just have to knock off a little rust but he'll be in the same situation. I really think this just continues to build depth within the pitching staff.

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

The fact that Burnett is a righty and Liriano a lefty makes the "duplicate look" theory pretty tenuous.

I did in fact believe that having soft-tossing lefties Zach Duke and Paul Maholm go back-to-back was an issue since they were so similar in approach, and both threw mid to upper 80's. That low velocity meant that batters would have the timing down when the second soft-tosser took the hill.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:54 pm 

I think AJ's 9 innings today against a good hitting Rockies team made the question MOOT!!!!!! Maybe he read it this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:41 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

Both throw 4 seam fastballs. Both throw curve balls. Both throw nasty sinkers. Both have change ups and Liriano has as slider. As Bob Walk put it during the last game Burnett pitched; "They are virtually the same pitcher. Ones from the left and the other is from the right."

This begs the question for the group. Does the fact that AJ Burnett pitches the day after Liriano hurt AJ due to major league hitters seeing the same style of pitchers back to back? Would it benefit AJ to pitch after Locke instead?

Just a thought.

No.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The fact that Burnett is a righty and Liriano a lefty makes the "duplicate look" theory pretty tenuous.

I did in fact believe that having soft-tossing lefties Zach Duke and Paul Maholm go back-to-back was an issue since they were so similar in approach, and both threw mid to upper 80's. That low velocity meant that batters would have the timing down when the second soft-tosser took the hill.

I think that the bigger issue with Duke and Maholm was the Maholm was afraid to pitch inside and Duke sucked. The would have been just as bad if surrounded by Nolan Ryan and Walter Johnson.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 pm 

Didn't hurt him today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

I need one win?

AJ.

And I'd give him ten tries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 am 

Sisyphus wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

Just a thought.

No.

You dont like Brooksbaseball.net?