Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: .600+ To Start August Bodes Very Well....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:29 am
Posts: 227
dating back to 1960 only 119 teams have entered august playing .600+ ball, that's an average of just two teams per year, no easy feat to be sure - this year the bucs are the sole team entering august playing .600 or better ball. of these 119 teams, 80% made the post-season while 43% made it to the world series. also, among these 119 teams were the 1971, 1972 1975 and 1991 bucs, each of which made the post-season, with the 1971 bucs winning the world series. go bucs!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: .600+ To Start August Bodes Very Well....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5560
With each passing day I regret not laying money down on the Bucs win 'over' and/or to win the Central/NL.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: .600+ To Start August Bodes Very Well....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:29 am
Posts: 227
NSMaster56 wrote:
With each passing day I regret not laying money down on the Bucs win 'over' and/or to win the Central/NL.

you and me both! from a piece before the season started:

NL CENTRAL
REDS 5-6
CARDINALS 9-5
BREWERS 5-1
PIRATES 15-1
CUBS 20-1

Pittsburgh Pirates

2012 record: 79-83, 18 games out of first-place.
2013 odds to win World Series: 60/1
2013 odds to win NL Pennant: 30/1
2013 odds to win NL Central: 15/1

The Battlin’ Bucs gave it all they had through the All-Star break last season and became the team America was pulling for amid all the high-priced salaries of modern-day baseball. But they faded down the stretch, just as they did in 2011. However, they gained invaluable experience of playing in big games for the second consecutive season, which could help the Pirates finally get over the hump in 2013.

The Pirates have a lot of positives. LF Starling Marte has the potential to be one of the game’s elite five-tool players. But “potential” seems to be the operative word for the entire Bucs lineup. The only rock solid star on the team is Andrew McCutchen, whose batting average (.327) plunged simultaneously with the Pirates record. Neil Walker (.280) is a nice player, but you know what you’re going to get out of him. The real issue lies within the corner infielders Garrett Jones (27 HR, 86 RBI) and Pedro Alvarez (30 HR, 85 RBI). Both went through extreme hot and cold streaks during 2012, and they’ll be hard pressed to match their 2012 numbers.

The Bucs added Russell Martin behind the plate, which is not necessarily an upgrade. Martin hit 21 home runs over 422 at-bats with the Yankees last season, but he also hit only .211. Somehow, back-up catcher Michael McKendry’s .233 average with 12 home runs in only 240 at-bats seems better.

The Pirates’ starting pitching should be on solid footing. We can’t expect A.J. Burnett (16-10, 3.51 ERA) to equal 2012, but having Wandy Rodriguez (12-13, 3.76 ERA) for the entire season and James McDonald (12-8, 4.21 ERA) with another year of experience should keep the Pirates in plenty of games.

But Pittsburgh’s bullpen will have a hard time matching what it did last season. The Pirates’ relief crew was one of the most effective in baseball, at least through August. Jason Grilli (90 Ks in 58.2 IP) looks to be the closer this season, a role that Joel Hanrahan (36 saves) thrived in last season. They’ll also rely on Mark Melancon, a player they got from Boston in the Hanrahan trade, in a set-up role. The Bucs don’t have starters who can go the distance, which puts a premium on the pen. If this area fails, the numbers Marte, McCutchen, Alvarez or Jones put up won’t matter.

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/mlb/ ... -cardinals
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/mlb/ ... ves-giants


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: .600+ To Start August Bodes Very Well....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5560
Picking apart this piece in hindsight is just fun.

Quote:
However, they gained invaluable experience of playing in big games for the second consecutive season, which could help the Pirates finally get over the hump in 2013.


What an opening! Leadoff single!

Quote:
The Bucs added Russell Martin behind the plate, which is not necessarily an upgrade. Martin hit 21 home runs over 422 at-bats with the Yankees last season, but he also hit only .211. Somehow, back-up catcher Michael McKendry’s .233 average with 12 home runs in only 240 at-bats seems better.


Next batter gets down in a quick 0-2 count...

Quote:
We can’t expect A.J. Burnett (16-10, 3.51 ERA) to equal 2012, but having Wandy Rodriguez (12-13, 3.76 ERA) for the entire season and James McDonald (12-8, 4.21 ERA) with another year of experience should keep the Pirates in plenty of games.


A K followed by a quick pop-up!

Quote:
But Pittsburgh’s bullpen will have a hard time matching what it did last season.


And then a weak ground out...

Quote:
The Bucs don’t have starters who can go the distance, which puts a premium on the pen. If this area fails, the numbers Marte, McCutchen, Alvarez or Jones put up won’t matter.


Great closing though.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: .600+ To Start August Bodes Very Well....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:29 am
Posts: 227
good stuff!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits