Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ian will pitch for Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am 

Ian Snell has been selected to pitch for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Coming off his performance last year, what are your thoughts on him pitching that hard that early? Given his lack of good judgement, I am pretty worried about what he might do in March that affects what he does this summer.

Post subject: Re: Ian will pitch for Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:24 pm 

I am not a fan of the World Baseball Classic, but luckily there are some pitch count limits...

Maybe the extra work will help...I think it helped Paulino in 2006...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 pm 

Ians from Delaware, I guess the eligibility rules are rather lax. Does Germany or Ireland have a team? If so, perhaps they could use a lead footed 3B with a pop gun arm and a propensity for swinging at anything and everything?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:07 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Ians from Delaware, I guess the eligibility rules are rather lax.

They are. Danny Haren was asked by Mexico to pitch and he could have because his mother is Mexican. Haren never lived in Mexico and cant even speak Spanish. And is my memory playing tricks, or did Piazza play for Italy last time, again qualifying simply because of lineage?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm 

Yes, Argentum, they have teams....but what makes you think Joe Randa is German or Irish?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:05 pm 

Some comments from Snell that back Jack Wilson:

He sounds equally eager to see the Pirates rebound as a team, though not necessarily confident it will happen unless management does more to bolster the roster.

"You know what? I'm tired of promising the fans that we're going to be this or that," he said in a phone interview yesterday, the day after being chosen to represent Puerto Rico in the Classic. "I'm looking at the other teams in our division loading up, and we really haven't done anything. We've added maybe one player."

The Pirates have made one major league acquisition, the signing of utility infielder Ramon Vazquez, since finishing 67-95 last season.

Snell cited shortstop Jack Wilson's recent public call to management to add talent.

"Jack said it best: We need more players," Snell said. "I want to win. We've got some talent, but it's a pretty young group. We need more."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:27 pm 

Snell wrote:
"You know what? I'm tired of promising the fans that we're going to be this or that," he said in a phone interview yesterday, the day after being chosen to represent Puerto Rico in the Classic. "I'm looking at the other teams in our division loading up, and we really haven't done anything. We've added maybe one player."

Snell after signing a nice fat contract extension wrote:
"I have that drive to win....hard work goes a long way. I can only go further up the ladder from here."

2008 - 5.42ERA; 1.77WHIP; 164IP; 89BB

Hmmm.................

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:47 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

They are. Danny Haren was asked by Mexico to pitch and he could have because his mother is Mexican. Haren never lived in Mexico and cant even speak Spanish. And is my memory playing tricks, or did Piazza play for Italy last time, again qualifying simply because of lineage?

You know, this is odd to me. By this reasoning, the only players permitted to play for the USA would be Native Americans. Or would they play for Russia since their lineage came across the Bering Strait?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

You know, this is odd to me. By this reasoning, the only players permitted to play for the USA would be Native Americans. Or would they play for Russia since their lineage came across the Bering Strait?

Maybe one day therell be an Israeli team with Youkilis, Kinsler, and Braun. Pretty good lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:43 am 

It really cracks me up when BAD players complain about our ownership/management. It is funny because, yes the Pirates are a horribly run organization, but Ian Snell should just be happy about that. On a good team he would be sent to the pen or the minors but not on our buccos. It reminds me of the time Mike Williams was our closer and was doing the whole "we need more players" bit. Hey Mike, if we were a good team with good management, you wouldn't be our closer! Embrace the incompetence!
Snell says he wants us to get better players but he just knows we WON'T so he can say it. If he thought there was a legit chance we would go out and get 3 starters he wouldn't want us to get better players, because then he wouldn't be in the rotation!
Incompetent players should LOVE incompetent management. It's the only reason they make the big bucks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 pm 

Wow, JimY....that is a truly great line. I can see the t-shirts now: "Pirate baseball 2009...embrace the incompetence."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 pm 

bradf wrote:
"Pirate baseball 2009...embrace the incompetence."

Unfortunately, while waiting for a winning team, the Pirate cap the man was wearing decomposed. At least he'll have his wife to tell him he should have been a Yankee fan through out eternity though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:51 pm 

Two in a row. I gotta go lay down.