Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:35 pm 

Sorry, BBF,but as a charter member, I was a bit too zealous in trying to keep the Hall pure. You have had a very fine lame career on this board, but the hall is for those who have been consistently lame, especially with runners in scoring position (or LISP, for short). Had you not been serious and logical during the '06 and '08 seasons, I believe you would have been an excellent candidate; and even with your three consecutive All-Star Lame appearances and your lame comebacks comeback of the year award in '07, I can't overlook the rumors of you injecting laughing gas in your a$$ in the clubhouse toilets. Sorry, kid, but to make it to the Hall, you have to not only THROW a screwball, you have to BE one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:52 pm 

bradf wrote:
Had you not been serious and logical during the '06 and '08 seasons, I believe you would have been an excellent candidate;

Now come on brad...back in '06 I had a broken funny bone. I tried to play through it instead of hitting the NSFL (Not So Funny List). One injury in my career...and you'll hold that against me?

And then in 08...man, I had NO protection in the lineup. I couldn't carry the whole board on my back. Hopefully a roster shakeup will help, and 2009 I'll re-establish my value (of course, then the board GM will trade me for a bunch of prospects).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:40 pm 

BBF wrote:
bradf wrote:
Had you not been serious and logical during the '06 and '08 seasons, I believe you would have been an excellent candidate;

Now come on brad...back in '06 I had a broken funny bone. I tried to play through it instead of hitting the NSFL (Not So Funny List). One injury in my career...and you'll hold that against me?

And then in 08...man, I had NO protection in the lineup. I couldn't carry the whole board on my back. Hopefully a roster shakeup will help, and 2009 I'll re-establish my value (of course, then the board GM will trade me for a bunch of prospects).

BBF,
I believe you would have had some success if you reverted to small ball, hitting behind the poster, and bunting posters into better posting position. Your OPP(on post percentage) should speak for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:38 pm 

My vote is for bucfan because of his high OPI (Online Picture Insertion)

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:00 pm 

I think the Hall of fame commitee should go into operation shutdown this year.
I only see The Ricky as a real first ballet Hall of Famer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 am 

nad69dan wrote:
My vote is for bucfan because of his high OPI (Online Picture Insertion)

While I do think that bucfan is certainly Lame material, I don't put much weight in OPI. It's a flawed stat for measuring one's value, much like the RBI. After all, if someone else doesn't put the picture on the internet, it's not available for bucfan to insert on this board. I think the more valuable statistics are JTMEG (jokes that make everyone groan) and SOL (stupid one-liners). Those really measure how lame one is, independent of other factors. In that regard, I think bradf runs away from the competition. I would say that I run away from the competition, but I'm not one for running.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:48 am 

As I understand it you can vote for ten: Here are mine in order:

Harold Baines Sorry No DH's
Bert Blyleven 4
Andre Dawson 2
Rickey Henderson 1
Mark McGwire Sorry Steroid Boy
Jack Morris 5
Dave Parker 9
Tim Raines 3
Jim Rice 7
Lee Smith 6
Alan Trammell 8

Mark Grace might get a vote from me because he got to nail Janine Turner :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:02 am 

If McGwire gets elected to the Hall of Fame then so should Jose Canseco. They're one and the same, and by saying that, by no means am I saying either one should be in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:29 pm 

How does Lee Smith not get more love?

Dude was just the best relievers of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:31 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

No, that honor goes to Goose Gossage. Lee Smith may be the career saves leader, but saves tell you nothing about how good that reliever is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:10 pm 

Willton wrote:
Lee Smith may be the career saves leader, but saves tell you nothing about how good that reliever is.

Smith had a great fastball and literally blew batters away in his prime. I'm not arguing for inductment into the HOF, but he was better than good, he was real good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:38 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

No, that honor goes to Goose Gossage. Lee Smith may be the career saves leader, but saves tell you nothing about how good that reliever is.

Did you ever see Lee Smith pitch in his prime?

When he was on, he was as dominating as anyone in the history of baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm 

omgardd wrote:
If McGwire gets elected to the Hall of Fame then so should Jose Canseco. They're one and the same, and by saying that, by no means am I saying either one should be in.

Nonsense -- Canseco was not even close to the player that McGwire was. McGwire played for longer, hit for more power, and was more disciplined than Canseco. Canseco and McGwire only shared circumstances; they were otherwise quite different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:48 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Did you ever see Lee Smith pitch in his prime?

When he was on, he was as dominating as anyone in the history of baseball.

That very well may be true, but he was not "on" as much as Gossage was. Gossage has a much better resume than Smith.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:26 pm 

If Ty Cobb got in Ricky should get in as well.

But agreed, his hubris was not humorous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:11 am 

310 saves with a 3.01 ERA and a 1.232 WHIP versus 478 saves with a 3.03 1.256 WHIP

9 All Star games versus 7 All Star games

1 Rolaids Relief Award versus 3 Rolaids Relief Awards

Outside of the fact that he's white and he pitched for Pittsburgh, PLEASE show me how Rick Gossage had a better career than Lee Smith did.

But let me go ahead and save you some time. Lee Smith had a BETTER career than Gossage. If Gossage is in the HOF, than Lee Smith should be too. The simple fact is that if Smith was white, he'd be in the HOF right now.

But that's just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:07 am 

Willton wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Nonsense -- Canseco was not even close to the player that McGwire was. McGwire played for longer, hit for more power, and was more disciplined than Canseco. Canseco and McGwire only shared circumstances; they were otherwise quite different.

I said that meaning that McGwire was on as much juice as Canseco. Remember they both came into the league with the A's in or around 1986 and both were freakishly large with crazy power from the get go. Coincidence? I credit McGwire's entire career to performance enhancing drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Outside of the fact that he's white and he pitched for Pittsburgh, PLEASE show me how Rick Gossage had a better career than Lee Smith did.

Oh boy, this arguement never gets old.

Jeremy, do a Google search for "Gossage vs. Lee" or something similar and read away. I'll cut to the chase and just say that comparing the two is near impossible because of the eras in which they pitched. Gossage fans will tell you that if he [Goose] had pitched in today's era, he would have about 4,367 saves if you allow for the times he was a starter. Plus, when he relieved, it wasn't uncommon for him to pitch 2-3 innings as opposed to Smith's 1. I do love Goose though and consider him the better of the two.

However, I think it's unfair to Smith to compare him to the likes of Gossage, Sutter, Fingers, and Eck. All of whom seem to get a boost for the simple fact that they were at one times starters. As if that should be a factor in determining a great reliever. Smith was a great reliever and I believe that he may get in someday, but his chances have been hurt by the fact that Rivera and Hoffman have passed him for all time saves.

One thing I'd like to see, does anyone have access to the total save opportunities these guys had? I'd like to see them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:48 pm 

I don't give a damn about the Gossage fans. I don't think the guy deserved to be in the Hall of Fame when Lee Smith isn't there.

But you're right about one thing, you can't compare them. Just like you can't compare Cobb with Henderson, but they're both HOF players.

Baseball needs to do the right thing here and put one of baseball's greatest pure relief pitchers in the HOF.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:55 pm 

Took Gossage 9 years, didnt it?

Smith will get his turn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next