Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If I may, I'd like to start the salary cap discussion again.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:19 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
So the basis of the argument is that games are better when the team is better.

We all know that Pittsburgh is a pro town through and through. The fans are better educated and understand more about their sport. That means that they embrace winners. If the Pirates are winning and are a factor in the NL Central or Wild Card race, then the fans will come out.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!
The games that most people choose to attend in Pittsburgh are either because you want to see your team atleast once a year, you got cheap tickets cause maybe we are playing another bad team and nobody wants to see that, or because you are there to see the pirates play a good team.
It pains me to say it but i choose what games i go to in Pittsburgh to see the players on the other teams, and im a huge fan, how are they gonna pull in people that are borderline Pirate fans.Even most of the other bad teams have a player that pulls you to see that team.I can't really say the Pirates do.People don't really wanna come see some players that should be in the minors or players that had one good year.Nate Mclouth isn't the type of player you build a team around.He's a role players.He's had one good year so far when he puts together two or 3 then you will see more fans being pulled to the games.Its not just a winner that you have to have to have good fan attendance but its good players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm 

Look, this point has never really been in debate.

The only team in Western Pennsylvania that anyone goes to when they're losing is the Steelers. Western Pennsylvania is one of the better educated parts of the country. People aren't going to through their money away on a loser. When the Penguins were bad, The Igloo almost never sold out.

Even the Steelers saw empty seats when the team sucked.

Like I said before.....once the Bucs start winning people will come to PNC. Until then, they'll continue to draw shit crowds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Western Pennsylvania is one of the better educated parts of the country.

Huh???!!!!! That's news to me. :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:40 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Try living somewhere else for a few years and you'll learn to appreciate Western Pa.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Like I said before.....once the Bucs start winning people will come to PNC. Until then, they'll continue to draw shit crowds.

Like in '90-'92, when they drew in the bottom half of NL attendance each year? Or '79, when they were 10th out of 12 NL teams in attendance? It wasn't like they were exactly packing 3R even when they were good.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:28 am 

For its' market size (approximately 2.4 million and dropping), Pittsburgh outdraws virtually all MLB cities for percentage of fans in the market attending games each season, even with the rancid garbage that they have put on the field for the last 15 years.

With regards to the debate about Western PA being a highly educated place, I would tend to agree with Jeremy. After almost five years in Florida, all Western Pennsylvanians are Ivy Leaguers compared to a large chunk of the population down here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:55 am 

Jeremy wrote:
BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Try living somewhere else for a few years and you'll learn to appreciate Western Pa.

Much agreed... Living between D.C. and Baltimore for 10 years has unfortunately caused me to lose mental clarity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:57 am 

Jeremy wrote:

The only team in Western Pennsylvania that anyone goes to when they're losing is the Steelers. Western Pennsylvania is one of the better educated parts of the country. People aren't going to through their money away on a loser. When the Penguins were bad, The Igloo almost never sold out.

Sorry to say but the Pirates didn't sell out during their playoff runs in 91,92. I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly there were empty seats during those playoff contests at 3 Rivers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:27 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Sorry to say but the Pirates didn't sell out during their playoff runs in 91,92. I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly there were empty seats during those playoff contests at 3 Rivers.

There were 47,952 for baseball at Three Rivers. If Pittsburgh put 40,000 people in the stands during those years, that's still pretty good for a town where baseball is the third sport.

Prince, if you think Florida is bad you should come up the Gulf Coast of Mississippi some time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:11 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Western Pennsylvania is one of the better educated parts of the country. People aren't going to through their money away on a loser.

If Western PA is one of the better educated parts of the country, then I would hope that those who live there know the difference between the word "through" and the word "throw."

Talk about ironic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Western Pennsylvania is one of the better educated parts of the country. People aren't going to through their money away on a loser.

If Western PA is one of the better educated parts of the country, then I would hope that those who live there know the difference between the word "through" and the word "throw."

Talk about ironic.

Talk about being a jerk.

But then again....what did I really expect. When you can't attack the argument, attack the person making the argument.