Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: most likely to play
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:42 pm 

After looking up the minor league numbers of the 3 position players the Pirates signed to minor league contracts on the 22nd of December (Andy Phillips, Jeff Salazar, and Garrett Jones) I am a little intrigued by their possible contributions. Who, of those three, do you guys think will contribute the most to the 2009 team?

Just trying to get some board topics going since this week will be slow news wise.

Post subject: Re: most likely to play
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:10 pm 

To be quite honest, I hope none of them play for us. Salazar has done nothing to make me think he is anything more than AAA filler. I guess theoretically he could get a callup if we have injury problems, but even then I would rather bring McCutchen up to start.

Phillips I think is also AAA filler. Nothing to get excited about there either.

Jones might be the most likely to see time, if only because our 1stbaseman has a history of sucking for 2 months. Plan B would be to give Pearce starts at 1st during April and May, but Jones is probably choice C.

Either way, if any of these guys are getting AB's for the Pirates, it probably means something has gone very badly at the big league level.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:47 pm 

Welcome to the board IronKett25. You're right it's a slow news time, but glad you have joined this group of sometimes morbid, often funny guys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:57 pm 

Salazar could be a 5th outfielder type. Right now, the depth chart in the outfield is Morgan but you have to think Andrew is probably going to be PNC ready before too much longer. If he does come up, that probably pushes McLouth to left and Moss/Pearce to the bench ahead of Morgan and forcing Salazar back to Victory Field.

The other two seem to be straight AAA shuttle players who can do a 15 stretch here and there.

But a trade at the deadline could shake things up.