Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Unit The San Francisco Treat!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:32 pm 

Quote:
The Big Unit is heading home to the Bay Area.

Randy Johnson and the San Francisco Giants agreed to an $8 million, one-year contract yesterday, meaning he will go for his 300th win with a new team.

Johnson, 45, a 21-year big league veteran who spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks, was born in Walnut Creek, Calif., about 30 minutes from the Giants' waterfront ballpark. He grew up in nearby Livermore.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08362/938024-63.stm

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Big Unit The San Francisco Treat!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:12 pm 

You know, SF has its problems (Sabean chief among them), but the rotation isn't one of them. Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Unit, and Zito make a pretty reasonable top 5.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:34 pm 

BBF wrote:
You know, SF has its problems (Sabean chief among them), but the rotation isn't one of them. Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Unit, and Zito make a pretty reasonable top 5.

Top 4. I see nothing reasonable about Zito :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:35 pm 

Zito isn't much, but as #5 starters go, he is a pretty good option...salary aside.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:42 pm 

Ill give the Giants this much; they dont use "Rebuilding" as an excuse to concede at the big league level for 3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:45 pm 

If Zito gets his mojo back, that could be the best rotation in baseball next season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:28 pm 

Johnson will be looking for his 300th win this year and for the exception of Zito i don't think any of them have even reached their prime yet.
Not all 5 are gonna be good, atleast one will flunk out but i don't think it will be Zito.
The Giants could be making there post-Bonds push alot sooner than exspected in a weak division.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:39 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
The Giants could be making there post-Bonds push alot sooner than exspected in a weak division.

This is the statement Im sympathetic to, because Im a believer in starting pitching. But when you look at that lineup and bullpen, that weak division had better be plenty weak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:45 am 

Kingston wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

This is the statement Im sympathetic to, because Im a believer in starting pitching. But when you look at that lineup and bullpen, that weak division had better be plenty weak.

I think it might be.What happened to the Diamondbacks last year is hard to get away from.I think ther second half woes will stick with them somewhat this season and they haven't really done much to improve.
The Rockies are losing key players and I wouldn't be suprised to see them back at the bottom of the division this year.
The Dodgers are probably the winner of this division in my mind right now but i look for the Giants to give them a run for their money.
If the Dodgers would lose out on Manny(which i doubt they will just cause of how much it would hurt their season)and the Giants could add a decent hitter or two i really think then you would have to consider them to be back in the race for the division.
I don't know if they will win the division but i don't exspect to see them finish in the basement this year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:03 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
If Zito gets his mojo back, that could be the best rotation in baseball next season.

Too bad that won't happen. His control has been getting worse and worse as he's gotten older, and his strikeout material is now following suit. Couple that with the gopheritis that has plagued him his entire career and you're looking at a pitcher who will struggle to be average. Zito peaked very early in his career, and I don't think there is any bouncing back.