Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
Jose Castillo signed with the Washington Nationals...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_was
Quote:
The Nationals signed infielder Jose Castillo, outfielder Corey Patterson, catcher Gustavo Molina and pitchers Jorge Sosa and Gustavo Chacin to Minor League contracts with an invitation to Spring Training.
Castillo appeared in 127 games in 2008 with the Giants and Astros and hit a combined .246 with six home runs and 37 RBIs

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
Well, that sure takes the sting out of losing Teixeira :shock:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
I think he was brought in more to held hold the bench down since they lost their Pilsbury Doughboy Dmitri Young

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
nad69dan wrote:
I think he was brought in more to held hold the bench down since they lost their Pilsbury Doughboy Dmitri Young

If the Nats think that Castillo can replace even a fraction of Young's value, they are crazier than we thought.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
I think he was brought in more to held hold the bench down since they lost their Pilsbury Doughboy Dmitri Young

If the Nats think that Castillo can replace even a fraction of Young's value, they are crazier than we thought.


I meant he was brought in to replace Young's weight....not his talent

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
nad69dan wrote:
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
I think he was brought in more to held hold the bench down since they lost their Pilsbury Doughboy Dmitri Young

If the Nats think that Castillo can replace even a fraction of Young's value, they are crazier than we thought.


I meant he was brought in to replace Young's weight....not his talent


Ah, so you meant he would LITERALLY hold the bench down. :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10514
BBF wrote:
Ah, so you meant he would LITERALLY hold the bench down. :lol:


And a box of donuts ...

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 pm
Posts: 150
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Man. Jose Castillo has a ton of raw talent, maybe more than anybody we've brought up in a long time. It's a shame that for whatever reason, his head isn't screwed on right, or something, he can't get himself right. Jose Guillen was another one.

People talk about the lack of talent coming through our system, but there have been at least a few studs that just couldn't get themselves together, through no fault of the team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
Pirates4real wrote:
there have been at least a few studs that just couldn't get themselves together, through no fault of the team.


Perhaps, but how can we believe that conclusively? Could it not be possible our minor league instructors let him down, failing to develop, to their fullest potential, the tools that would have allowed him to enjoy ML success?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Kingston wrote:
Pirates4real wrote:
there have been at least a few studs that just couldn't get themselves together, through no fault of the team.


Perhaps, but how can we believe that conclusively? Could it not be possible our minor league instructors let him down, failing to develop, to their fullest potential, the tools that would have allowed him to enjoy ML success?



I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jose Castillo was needlessly rushed to the majors and not properly developed. We would have been better off playing that "PTBNL that everyone in Pittsburgh would really really like" at 2nd base for a year and letting Jose see AAA.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Mr. Castillo Goes to Washington
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 pm
Posts: 150
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Kingston wrote:
Pirates4real wrote:
there have been at least a few studs that just couldn't get themselves together, through no fault of the team.


Perhaps, but how can we believe that conclusively? Could it not be possible our minor league instructors let him down, failing to develop, to their fullest potential, the tools that would have allowed him to enjoy ML success?


Of course it's possible, even more so when you look at our general track record of developing players.

I just think that with those two guys, Castillo and Guillen, it really seemed like there was a mental thing on the player's part that kept them from having the success that their talents seemed to predict. Even more so when you look at how much Guillen has bounced around, and now Castillo already on his third team.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits