Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marauders go 19 innings Monday night
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
 WWW  Profile

and still manage to lose.
I am a fan and support them but when are they gonna start supporting themselves?

Obviously Frank Kremblis has no idea how to coach. Hopefully he'll be gone next year.
Batting coach needs to go as well.

I believe the team has lost 9 in a row now.
You can't win them all, but it would be nice to win a few.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

Post subject: Re: Marauders go 19 innings Monday night
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm 

The biggest issue is that talent-wise they are the least interesting team in the system currently, especially with it looking like Allie hasn't been able to translate his success to high-A. After Hanson the line-up is almost entirely consisted of minor league depth with a few guys having the potential to break out out of nowhere in the same mold that Polanco/Hanson did (though obviously not international signings) such as a player like Dan Gamache. But overall it has been the pitching that has killed the Marauders. Their team ERA is second to worst in the FSL and they obviously don't have the line-up to compensate for it.

Your frustrations are understandable as someone who goes to a ton of the games but I think it's always important to remember that the minors exist to develop the talent as opposed to the team's W/L record. I don't know that you can really blame Kremblas. If you paint it black and white via W/L record he has excelled during his tenure in the Pirates organization with Indianapolis. Given the roles he has been given I think it's safe to say the front office speaks highly of him. Just have to ride it out from here. The roster could be completely different with guys moving up from Jamestown next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

I agree and appreciate your comments.
I know we are a developmental team and I do appreciate that but we do still like to see wins now and again.

Kremblis coaches 1st base all the time - why? You are the head coach an should be in the dugout, coaching, talking to your batting coach about what the problems are, talking to the pitching coach to find out why Matt Benedict has not won a game yet.

He doesn't challenge any calls with the umpires. He may as well be a fan in the stands.

I know the talent level is not what we've been spoiled with the last few years.
I have been waiting for several WV players to move up to A+ to try and make a difference. Looks like it'll be 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 am 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
Kremblis coaches 1st base all the time - why? You are the head coach an should be in the dugout, coaching, talking to your batting coach about what the problems are, talking to the pitching coach to find out why Matt Benedict has not won a game yet.

That is actually the norm in the minors. Since minor league teams don't employ first and third base coaches, the manager and pitching/hitting coaches typically also serve those roles, or sometimes even a player who is off that day. Just a different system than that of the MLB because they don't have as large of a staff or the same resources. I see a few Indianapolis games a year and their manager (and formerly Kremblas) is the 3rd base coach exclusively.

You'll have Josh Bell in the line-up next year (if not later this year) coming up for WV, not having a great season this year but still a very good one, and I still consider him our second or third best hitting prospect. If Dilson Herrera's second half ends up being more in line with what he has done in rookie ball the last two years that'll be a boost as well. And of course on the pitching side, Tyler Glasnow and maybe Luis Heredia (I think the latter will all depend on how Heredia finishes in low-A).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am 

Yeah. Transition year for Bradenton. Too many solid players moved up to Altoona. I share TheShark's belief that the Marauders could be excellent in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am 
 WWW  Profile

We had a total of 1 player return - Benji Gonzalez. Everyone moved up.

I knew it would be a rebuilding year but I was told a lot of these guys had played together in WV so I figured that's a good thing - they know each other.
It has looked like they have never played together before. Many of the outfielders can't judge the ball and it goes over their heads and into/over the wall.

They don't know what a cut off man is because they never throw to him, always over his head.
The outfielder's don't charge the ball when it's coming out there and 90% of the time, let it drop in front of them.
They don't know how to call off other players and take over for popups.
No speed/effort? in the outfield to chase a ball down.

I mean this isn't Rookie/GCL and they have been at the Jammers level and WV, supposedly.
Again, I know it's a developmental league but they should be pretty developed by the time they get to us. It's the basic, little league stuff, that they are not doing, that gets me. Fundamentals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:15 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
They don't know what a cut off man is because they never throw to him, always over his head.

Maybe someone needs to make them cry...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm 

It's a tough line to walk, developing players and keeping fans interested. That's why State College dropped their affiliation with the Pirates after last season. They were horrible.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
It's a tough line to walk, developing players and keeping fans interested. That's why State College dropped their affiliation with the Pirates after last season. They were horrible.

I have been told by Marauders management not to worry but I fear that with the Marauders. I assume they would still play even if no one showed up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 pm 

No they are going nowhere...that said, in the photos you post there seems to be next to no one in the stands... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:09 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No they are going nowhere...that said, in the photos you post there seems to be next to no one in the stands... :? :? :?

What kind of attendance do you expect out of a high-A team? Outside of diehard fans or some promotions done by the marketing team to get casual fans in, the low minors aren't going to draw big numbers. Bradenton averages right in the middle of pack of FSL teams at 1,646 per game. The highest is only 2,622 and the low as little as 814.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm 

That must be tickets sold because the stands look next to empty everytime LGM posts photos...I haven't seen one photo where it looked like anywhere near 1500 in attendance...JMHO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
I have been told by Marauders management not to worry but I fear that with the Marauders. I assume they would still play even if no one showed up.

The Marauders aren't going anywhere with Bradenton being a central point of other Pirates baseball activities as well, with the ST games being played at McKechnie FIeld, the fairly new Pirate City complex, the multiple fields where GCL games are played there, etc. I'm fairly certain the W/L record of the Marauders have absolutely no impact on anything.

State College was a rare example of a team choosing to switch affiliates due to a lack of success of the team, and to be honest the whole ordeal seemed a bit comical to me. For a team/league like short season-A ball everything has to do with promotions, etc. from their own staff and not really much to do with winning. Sure, the FO and a handful of diehard fans were upset, but realistically there are plenty of successful minor league organizations who draw well and don't field winning teams. Many legitimate prospects skip low-A ball altogether. I don't think it would have made a colossal difference if the Spikes had had a great winning percentage on the field other than appeasing the owners and perhaps a handful of fans. Nor was it the Pirates responsibility to try to somehow appease them because of their complaints.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:25 pm 

I was surprised State College wanted out of the deal. They got better prospects through there than most NYPL teams. NYPL is mostly college players, the Spikes got all of the HS kids for Fastball Academy.

Plus this year it seems to be more of what the Spikes wanted....HS kids are going to the GCL instead and the college guys are all going to State College.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 pm 

I live right over the mountain from State College and can tell you this falls under that communities sense of entitlement. The college football team, and really the university in general, created that feeling. There are some people from my town that help with the Spikes and can tell you they thought the Pirates owed them a better product...and that's typical in State College. Too bad, because it was a nice facility in a college town. Plus it was a neat connect with State College-Altoona-Pittsburgh...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Makes me feel better to hear you guys says that.
Yeah the 'announced' attendance has to be 'sold' tickets including STH which I know is in the 500-ish range.

We've been to games where it rained all day and stopped for game time and bet there were no more than 100 people there (and that is being generous) and they announce 800+ - I guess they can count it however it works best for them.

I assume they make their money in concessions and souvenirs and I don't think 100 physical bodies can make up for 800 announced fans' food purchases.
Plus, they don't do bag checks and people bring their own food/drink into the stadium (I know we do) but we do buy concession food from time to time.

We go #1 for the game - we enjoy the game. A certain promotion does get us there 15 minutes earlier to make sure we get ours. Parking is not an issue no matter what time we have gone. About the only time we have to worry about parking is when they have the 'buyout' games and all tickets are FREE. The 'interesting' folks come out of the wood work for those games. You'll never see them there before or after that game but it brings them in.

We support the team with purchasing jerseys to wear (though some come from China for $18 and look good enough for us) - I make my own TShirts for various games. I made one for tonight's game with the MLB All Star Logo an a Pirates "P" on it. - I was told by Marauder management that I can make any shirt I want, with any logos I want, as long as I don't sell them.

We have fun with the gang of regulars around us joking about the players and whatnot and it's a nice time, win or lose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
We support the team with purchasing jerseys to wear (though some come from China for $18 and look good enough for us) - I make my own TShirts for various games. I made one for tonight's game with the MLB All Star Logo an a Pirates "P" on it. - I was told by Marauder management that I can make any shirt I want, with any logos I want, as long as I don't sell them.

These Polanco/Hanson jersey t-shirts in the Marauders store look pretty awesome ... I might have got one if there was more on the front than just a tiny "B" logo on the chest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
LetsGoMarauders wrote:

These Polanco/Hanson jersey t-shirts in the Marauders store look pretty awesome ... I might have got one if there was more on the front than just a tiny "B" logo on the chest.

Well they call it a jersey-shirt and the jersey is just a "B" logo on it too.
I know what you mean though.

I would love to get home/away jerseys for us but they are $90-$100 each. They offer the knockoff version ($40 range) - those I would get.