Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kendrys Morales
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 am 

Buster Olney reported on his podcast yesterday that the Bucs may be scouting Kendrys Morales.

Post subject: Re: Kendrys Morales
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Read that too. If so, he and Cansler would give Clint lots of versatility and platoon options at the corner positions. Maybe even a good bat off the bench, or two!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

For cheap I think that could be a great pickup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am 

93.7 FM is reporting this also. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/07/15/could-pittsburgh-be-a-viable-destination-for-kendrys-morales/

But is he signable next season? He's a Boras client... just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

I doubt he is, but I'd have to imagine his trade value would reflect that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 am 

Morales would be a good pick-up and become the starting first baseman, moving Sanchez and Jones/Tabata to the bench (strengthening that, as well). Potential lineup with Morales:

LF Marte
2B Walker (S)
CF Cutch
1B Morales (S)
3B Alvarez (L)
C Martin
RF Jones (L)
SS Mercer
Pitcher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 am 

Oh, and all but 2 of Morales' home runs would have made it out of PNC Park:

http://fromforbestofederal.com/2013/07/ ... s-morales/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

If the Pirates acquired Morales, I'd like to see a "Top 13" position player roster as follows:

Starling Marte (OF)
Andrew McCutchen (CF)
Jose Tabata (OF)
Garrett Jones (1B, RF)
Gaby Sanchez (1B)
Kendrys Morales (1B)
Neil Walker (2B)
Jordy Mercer (SS, 2B)
Clint Barmes (SS)
Pedro Alvarez (3B)
Russ Canzler (3B, 1B, RF)
Russell Martin (C)
Tony Sanchez (C)

Snider, Inge, and McKenry would be replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm 

Internal bench upgrades over Inge and McKenry are no-brainers. I've always preferred with bench configuration that I'd prefer just adding a fifth OF as opposed to carrying two utility IF who contribute nothing, not even defensively in some cases (and that is intensified when the team is carrying both Josh Harrison and Brandon Inge), assuming they go that route then Canzler or DeJesus getting that role is fine. My faith level is extremely low but I do hold onto Snider for the second half. I can no longer defend the guy like I used to, the swing isn't there, but I do give him a full season and then let them make their conclusions. If Tabata can continue his OBP rate will be one of the biggest questions in the second half to me. I still don't know if I'd predict that Lambo will be promoted any earlier than September so if the deadline acquisition did end up being 1B I think they just sink or swim with Tabata.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Internal bench upgrades over Inge and McKenry are no-brainers. I've always preferred with bench configuration that I'd prefer just adding a fifth OF as opposed to carrying two utility IF who contribute nothing, not even defensively in some cases (and that is intensified when the team is carrying both Josh Harrison and Brandon Inge), assuming they go that route then Canzler or DeJesus getting that role is fine. My faith level is extremely low but I do hold onto Snider for the second half. I can no longer defend the guy like I used to, the swing isn't there, but I do give him a full season and then let them make their conclusions. If Tabata can continue his OBP rate will be one of the biggest questions in the second half to me. I still don't know if I'd predict that Lambo will be promoted any earlier than September so if the deadline acquisition did end up being 1B I think they just sink or swim with Tabata.

I'm disappointed too by Snider's drop-off, but I agree that he should get a full season to see if he belongs and if he can work his way out of this slump. Everyone gets a full season....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:43 pm 

Disagree. The 2013 campaign is too important for the Pirates to let a player hurt the team. Replacing Snider with a professional, proven hitter like Morales would improve the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:38 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Disagree. The 2013 campaign is too important for the Pirates to let a player hurt the team. Replacing Snider with a professional, proven hitter like Morales would improve the team.

It's not about Morales replacing Snider ... Snider has played his way into a permanent bench spot already. But he doesn't have to be the one removed from the roster if hypothetically Morales/hot FA to speculate du jour is acquired. I'd rather just carry him as a 5th OF and relieve one of Inge or Harrison from their utility IF duties with Barmes being the full-time backup now. Not saying Snider might not ultimately be much more of a superior option, but I'd rather see it shake out that way. One thing I question is to what a 1B acquisition would mean for Gaby who is the one half of his current platoon that is doing his job by hitting LHP well as well as drawing BBs I'd imagine more than anyone else on the team and it probably isn't even close. I suppose they could give him some platoon time at third with Alvarez not hitting LHP well. Really not a bad idea at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:04 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

We got lots of players, if not hurting, certainly not helping, the team. And I've felt for two seasons now that we need a better bat in the lineup and would have been all in for a trade for Stanton.

But, it seems like there are two ways to go with building a contender. Make the trades necessary to get the pieces you want. And for me, minor leaguers are more suspects than prospects anyway, so I'm good with that approach. The other way to grow and nurture your own guys, which seems to be the Pirate's front office MO. And if you're going to go that route then you have to really give the guys a chance. Now Snider ain't a typical new call up in that he'd bounced around the Blue Jays organization for a while, and I wasn't a huge fan of his signing, we committed to his promise. And he's got to be given a chance. And it's not so much about Snider, but the example you send other awaiting players. They know they're going to get their fair ups, as it were, and not have to press right out of the gate.

If the Pirates are in nurture mode, Snider gets more time. Certainly more than 225 ABs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

I imagine we would have to give up pitching for him, but who? Would they take Morton and a minor leaguer or two?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:41 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Im not sure why there is so much focus on Snider when he is hitting 50 points or better than 3 current active roster members - Harrison, Inge and McKenry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Im not sure why there is so much focus on Snider when he is hitting 50 points or better than 3 current active roster members - Harrison, Inge and McKenry.

Because Snider gets more opportunities than those three players, and because those three players are far more easily replaced -- with Walker, Canzler, and Tony Sanchez, respectively. The internal options to replace Snider are more difficult to find. Hence, Morales.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Because Snider gets more opportunities than those three players, and because those three players are far more easily replaced -- with Walker, Canzler, and Tony Sanchez, respectively. The internal options to replace Snider are more difficult to find. Hence, Morales.

Is Morales really a viable option for RF though? He has only played 18 of 356 career games in the outfield.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:02 pm 

Snider is the most obvious place to look when trying to upgrade this team. We need a right fielder who is a good hitter and bats lefthanded. That is what Snider was supposed to be. But the good hitter part is beyond him.

Why would anyone even look at Harrison's current batting average to evaluate him? He's had like 12 at bats. Look at his AAA numbers if you want to evaluate him, where he's had almost 300 at bats.

If Walker comes back healthy, I consider Harrison a viable upgrade to Inge's spot. Not saying we can't do better, I'm saying I like Harrison better than Inge.

McKenry barely plays. Yes he has played poorly this year, but he played well last year and the year before. You could dump him and bring Sanchez up, but then if you suffer an injury there is a problem.

Right now we have insurance at catcher, and if we suffer through 5 more weeks of McKenry, about 5 more games in other words, we can bring Sanchez up and still have McKenry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

I wonder if McKenry's dip in offense is because of the lack of consistent playing time? Cant blame the Pirates though, Martin needs to be out there. I guess Sanchez will get a call up in September. And if he does, do you think he replaces McKenry on the playoff roster?

I think Kendrys Morales would be a nice fit in this lineup...Let Sanchez get a chance to spell the corner infield spots and be a lefty masher off the bench...The bench needs another left handed bat...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Reading some of this and I am seeing classic give up. Think Moss and Bautista here. Snider should not be put out to pasture, but moved to the 5th OF this year.

Morales puts Jones in RF as the LH bat option. And allows you to still platoon at 1b with Gaby, but allows Gaby to focus on what he is good at... hitting lefties.

If you work Cansler into the mix in a limited role, you now have viable options off the bench, and fill in a gap in the 5 hole with Morales.

ZM