Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ron Cook: Pirates need offensive spark to make push for play
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:20 pm 

They interviewed Garrett Jones about this who says no trades should happen. Really, Garrett? If you were doing your job with about three or four other guys, we wouldn't be talking about this.

I don't know. It rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote:
After the Pirates scored fewer than three runs for the 27th time this season in a 4-2 loss to the New York Mets at PNC Park, Jones didn't blink when asked about the trade deadline at the end of the month. "We don't need another bat. We've got the guys here who can get it done. A few of us just need to be a little more consistent and get hot at the right time."

Post subject: Re: Ron Cook: Pirates need offensive spark to make push for
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, chances are the second the Pirates are upgraded AB's will be taken from Jones. I like the guy but he just isn't getting it done. Again, I haven't given up on him but these long droughts can't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Yeah, chances are the second the Pirates are upgraded AB's will be taken from Jones.

Highly doubtful. For starters because considering the lack of options out there and what the Pirates would have to give up for them the chances are extremely slim that they'd acquire someone at 1B. So Jones will still get his usual ABs at that position considering it's a platoon with two guys with extreme splits. Not disagreeing that Jones has been a disappointment this year (a .755 OPS against RHP isn't acceptable when his job is to be mashing righties in a platoon in which he can't hit LHP at all) but I don't see Jones in any danger of losing any playing time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:55 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
They interviewed Garrett Jones about this who says no trades should happen. Really, Garrett? If you were doing your job with about three or four other guys, we wouldn't be talking about this.

I don't know. It rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote:
After the Pirates scored fewer than three runs for the 27th time this season in a 4-2 loss to the New York Mets at PNC Park, Jones didn't blink when asked about the trade deadline at the end of the month. "We don't need another bat. We've got the guys here who can get it done. A few of us just need to be a little more consistent and get hot at the right time."

Ron Cook also predicted that the Pirates would win 72 games this year, and less than 70 last year. I actually like Cook most of the time, but his baseball proclamations I treat as entertainment, not analysis.

Jones expects to have a much better second half. He's under the impression that he's a much better hitter when the weather heats up in July and August. He's partially right. His lifetime second half OPS is .785. His first half OPS is .774.

I wouldn't be expecting a huge improvement this year based on past seasons.

Last edited by sisyphus on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm 

Ron cook has no credibility in my book. He's always negative and just likes to hear himself talk. Then he contradicts himself.