Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Futures Game @ 2 on ESPN2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:12 pm 

If anybody is looking for something to flip to during inning breaks.

CF Gregory Polanco and 2B Dilson Herrera represent the Pirates and are playing for the International team.

Ben Badler tweeted that he was impressed with Polanco's bat speed during BP (again, off of Biertempfel's feed). Don't know if Herrera has taken his cuts yet.

Post subject: Re: Futures Game @ 2 on ESPN2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm 

In Baseball America's post-game superlatives, they said Polanco had the best BP of all the International guys. Mentioned that Sano was crushing home runs but that Polanco was the one who showed something they weren't sure he had.

I was fully in favor of dealing him for Giancarlo Stanton, and I might consider it still, but he's coming close to "untouchable except for a generational talent" type of player. And by generational I mean if the current Nats GM gets Jim Bowden disease and decides to put Harper on the market or Mike Trout somehow gets put on the block. Wouldn't even deal him for Profar at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm 

Recorded this and just finished watching it. Polanco is long, didn't realize just how broad he is.

Late in the game a kid named Ventura came in the game to pitch. A prospect for KC. He jumped out to me because he wears his hat crooked which I'm not okay with. No place for the game.

Overall, good game. Nice to see the stars of tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:51 am 

From Keith Law, regarding Polanco:

A couple of readers commented on Gregory Polanco getting spun around on a flyball to deep centerfield -- probably not catchable anyway, but still a bad route by Polanco -- and asked whether he's a poor defender in general. He's actually a very good defender in center, but just made an unfortunate error in judgment when everyone could see it. He's a disciplined hitter as well and has good bat speed, with just a slight bat wrap (loading his hands so that the barrel of the bat is up above his head at its highest point) to concern me about his overall approach.