Post subject: Rocco Baldelli
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:54 am 

Pirates are looking at him.

Yay or Nay?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08358/937055-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Rocco Baldelli
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 am 

Yes. Go for it.

In addition to the dimension he could bring to the Pirates, he grew up within the boundaries of Red Sox Nation without becoming a serious Red Sox fan. Makes him an especially good guy in my book. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 am 

As the board's Rays fan, I think that he would be a good addition to the Bucs, if he can be had cheap. He is an excellent "team" player as well as a clutch player. Apparently, his health condition isn't as bad as originally thought, so he could get more playing time. Personally, I doubt he will wind up here unless the Bucs grossly overpay. The Red Sox, Phillies and Rays seem to have the inside track on him and I think he would rather play for a contender than the Bucs. My guess is that he stays a Ray or goes "home" to the Sawks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:09 am 

He is not going to be cheap, but I still like bringing him in. He'd look so much better in LF that Morgan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:55 am 

I'm going to go against the grain. I say nay. If he could be had for a song and a dance then it would be a good gamble for the Pirates. I don't think he'll be able to be had at a price that is reasonable though. I'm guessing he gets around $3-4 million. He has some upside, but he's a health risk who strikes out a lot, doesn't walk, and plays an average defense. A fourth OFer on a good team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:23 pm 

I am surprised the team is even interested in him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:42 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am surprised the team is even interested in him.

┬┐Por que, AZ? Good surprised or bad surprised?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 pm 

I don't know. I guess he is another name you can throw into the mix. He won't be cheap and unfortunately this whole health issue throws a spanner in the gear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 pm 

He reminds me alot of Xavier Nady only with better wheels and worse health. I would be for bringing him in, even if it does cost 3-4 million a year. He is young enough that he can be a core player to build around. His upside is still pretty high and at one time higher then Crawford. Get him in a Pirate uniform. Please.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:44 pm 

Dawg is absolutely right. I mean, c'mon, who are we waiting to sign here? You can play the imperfection game all day, and Baldelli comes with some issues. But hes also talented, reasonably priced, and the poster boy for the chances the Bucs have to take. I say "yes".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm 

Yeah, I don't know much about him, or how he fits into our plans.

But if he is a guy that could help and he would fit into our long term plans, then why not? 3 or 4 million is nothing. I thought that was the veteran minimum these days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:03 pm 

bigdawg6954 wrote:
He reminds me alot of Xavier Nady only with better wheels and worse health. I would be for bringing him in, even if it does cost 3-4 million a year. He is young enough that he can be a core player to build around. His upside is still pretty high and at one time higher then Crawford. Get him in a Pirate uniform. Please.

That's what I'm afraid of. Take away Nady's 320 ABs with the Pirates last year and he is an average ball player. I don't want to build around average ball players. Baldelli had one good year, and like I said earlier, his D is barely adequate. He has health issues and was rushed through the minors despite underwhelming numbers at the higher levels.

Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:06 pm 

Argentum wrote:
bigdawg6954 wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of. Take away Nady's 320 ABs with the Pirates last year and he is an average ball player. I don't want to build around average ball players. Baldelli had one good year, and like I said earlier, his D is barely adequate. He has health issues and was rushed through the minors despite underwhelming numbers at the higher levels.

Just my $0.02.

I wouldnt want to build a team around him, but if you can get an average player for 2 or 3 years at an average or slightly below average salary with incentives added, I'm ok with it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:04 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:
bigdawg6954 wrote:

Just my $0.02.

I wouldnt want to build a team around him, but if you can get an average player for 2 or 3 years at an average or slightly below average salary with incentives added, I'm ok with it...

Not to mention that he has shown glimpses of what made him a top prospect, and it would be worth the Pirates' while to see if he can capture and maintain that prowess at such a low salary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Not to mention that he has shown glimpses of what made him a top prospect, and it would be worth the Pirates' while to see if he can capture and maintain that prowess at such a low salary.

You guys hit the nail on the head (as if there were somewhere else you would hit the nail?). $3-4 mil is the going rate for an average player, and if he becomes something more, we could really have something. Since he now has been diagnosed with a treatable channelopathy as opposed to the mitochondrial disorders they thought he had last summer, his injury problems may be behind him and we could end up with one hell of a player. Perfectly reasonable gamble. Plus, he isn't really blocking anyone with a ceiling higher than his.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:58 pm 

$3 - $4 million was number I pulled out of thin air, probably on the conservative side. Would you be willing to hand out a multi year contract to this guy and if so, for how much? To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't even begun treatment. Pitchers and catcher report in about 50 days.

Again, for a song and a dance, sure, I'd take a chance on him. But I think the dance is going to cost too much and the song is going to be "Like A Surgeon" by Weird Al.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:43 pm 

Argentum wrote:
$3 - $4 million was number I pulled out of thin air, probably on the conservative side. Would you be willing to hand out a multi year contract to this guy and if so, for how much? To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't even begun treatment. Pitchers and catcher report in about 50 days.

Again, for a song and a dance, sure, I'd take a chance on him. But I think the dance is going to cost too much and the song is going to be "Like A Surgeon" by Weird Al.

I wouldnt see anything wrong with a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 am 

Argentum wrote:

I'd definitely be willing to sign him for this:

Baldelli will get a $500,000 base salary, with another $1.75 million if he remains on the active roster all season, according to a baseball source. He has other bonuses (worth $5.25 million) that could bring the contract to $7.5 million if he reaches 600 plate appearances, though that is unlikely.

Boston did it right. That's a perfect deal for a guy with Baldelli's history. I would love to know what the Pirates were offering.

We should change our name to the "Pittsburgh Purgatories", nobody wants to go there, but if you do, and after you've done your time, you move on to better things........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:38 pm 

LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 am 

The guy chose a backup role over the Pirates. Hellloooooooooooooo!