Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates trade for Russ Canzler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Looks like a mighty fine candidate to take Brandon Inge's roster spot. How are his "intangibles"?

Sorry, doesn't have the vetrenosity... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:42 am 

TheShark wrote:
val wrote:
But why is he 27 with only 96 major league at bats to his credit?

He was stuck in the Cubs organization for six years to start his career (they drafted him in the 30th round so obviously he wasn't though of as much of a prospect). He performed pretty well in the low minors but not great and the power was only average. Curiously, the Cubs finally released him following his best year in the minors to that point in which he posted a .938 OPS in AA with 21 HRs. He followed that by signing with Tampa and putting up an almost identical identical OPS in AAA and a .314 BA. Got a September call-up where he made his debut. He was traded to Cleveland and had a mildly disappointing season but still hit well and actually posted his career best HR total. He then went through a whirlwind of waiver claims last year where he bounced between Toronto, then back to Cleveland, then NYY, and finally Baltimore earlier this year where he was hitting okay in AAA, the 11 HRs puts him on pace for a decent season.

In summary you could pick a variety of reasons for his lack of ML time logged. Could be an AAAA player given that he broke out with his best seasons in the high minors when he was a little order. Given how often he was yanked around the diamond his defense was probably a factor as well. But overall, even though he was yanked around by all of those teams the past three years he still spent six years in the Chicago organization where he never got a chance so you never know.

Full steam ahead, then. I love late bloomers, esp since I'm now the age where I can see the cosmic irony of calling a 27 year-old a "late bloomer"...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:25 am 

val wrote:
TheShark wrote:
val wrote:
But why is he 27 with only 96 major league at bats to his credit?

He was stuck in the Cubs organization for six years to start his career (they drafted him in the 30th round so obviously he wasn't though of as much of a prospect). He performed pretty well in the low minors but not great and the power was only average. Curiously, the Cubs finally released him following his best year in the minors to that point in which he posted a .938 OPS in AA with 21 HRs. He followed that by signing with Tampa and putting up an almost identical identical OPS in AAA and a .314 BA. Got a September call-up where he made his debut. He was traded to Cleveland and had a mildly disappointing season but still hit well and actually posted his career best HR total. He then went through a whirlwind of waiver claims last year where he bounced between Toronto, then back to Cleveland, then NYY, and finally Baltimore earlier this year where he was hitting okay in AAA, the 11 HRs puts him on pace for a decent season.

In summary you could pick a variety of reasons for his lack of ML time logged. Could be an AAAA player given that he broke out with his best seasons in the high minors when he was a little order. Given how often he was yanked around the diamond his defense was probably a factor as well. But overall, even though he was yanked around by all of those teams the past three years he still spent six years in the Chicago organization where he never got a chance so you never know.

Full steam ahead, then. I love late bloomers, esp since I'm now the age where I can see the cosmic irony of calling a 27 year-old a "late bloomer"...

I'm 52, and I'm expecting to bloom any day now. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 am 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Looks like a mighty fine candidate to take Brandon Inge's roster spot. How are his "intangibles"?

Sorry, doesn't have the vetrenosity... :D

The what? Impressive word but I refuse to look it up.-- Yes, makes me a dumb retired teacher.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:18 am 

Its a made up word.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:04 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Its a made up word.

All words are made up words. He spelled it wrong, though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:21 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Its a made up word.

All words are made up words. He spelled it wrong, though. :lol:

Scrumtrulescent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:52 pm 

Smegmalicious....
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 pm 

Starting at 3B today, FWIW.

Could mean something (Inge), could mean nothing. But Indy has him at 3rd and he hit an RBI single in his 1st AB.