Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Cool Story On Greg Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 am 

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4 ... z2YkMICZrq

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: A Cool Story On Greg Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm 

That's a great story. I worked with Greg on a few broadcasts in the early-mid 90's when he first started. I can remember the guys in the TV truck all talking about how excited this guy gets during a game. I haven't spoken to Greg in over 10 years, but his demeanor "on the air" hasn't changed a bit, so I'll bet that he's still the same great guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 pm 

Some funny bits.. I know there are those who don't care for Brown or his style but I for one like the fact that he wears his allegiance to the team on his sleave. His enthusiasm is genuine and that is underlined in this piece.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:03 pm 

I have been very negative toward him in the past. Having read that piece this morning, I have re-thought my dislike for him. I still don't care for his style and the Trip-trip-triple stuff. but it reminds me that people have lives and families outside my interests, so I need to be more tolerant of them and not demand their head on a plate just because of their style.

So, I don't want to fire him now.... yet!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:01 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4332785-74/brown-pirates-lange#axzz2YkMICZrq

Great story. Heartwarming.

But I still can't stand the guy.

Actually, now that the Pirates are winning his over the top enthusiasm doesn't bother me very much. There's actually something to be enthusiastic about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 pm 

Great story. Never knew much about him. He made his dream come true, and with his favorite team. Wouldn't want a guy calling games that wasn't passionate about the team. Don't know Why anyone wouldn't like him. Blass annoys me sometimes, he just seems old and cranky.

I used to listen to lanny frattare and Jim rooker when I was a kid from a youngstown station, which didn't always come in well. No doubt about it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The man did originate "Raise the Jolly Roger." Credit where credit is due.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:41 pm 

Embarrassed to say that I enjoy his trip-trip-triple call.

Also like the cannonball coming call from him.....although Neverett's El Toro home run calls are good as well.

Only one that really annoys me is Walk, which is funny since he's the only one not mentioned yet. Just feel like he makes some absurd, off the wall comments/jokes that lead to awkward silences in the booth or just kind of cause an abrupt segue to get things back on track. And I don't like awkward silence :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:44 pm 

One of the perks of having the Extra Innings package is that you get to hear any of the announcing teams that you wish. The whole Pirates crew is better than a vast majority of others out there.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
One of the perks of having the Extra Innings package is that you get to hear any of the announcing teams that you wish. The whole Pirates crew is better than a vast majority of others out there.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Couldn't. Agree. More.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The man did originate "Raise the Jolly Roger." Credit where credit is due.

Definitely. A great slogan, up there with anything Mike Lange or the Gunner ever came up with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:52 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Several others have already noted agreement, but having had the MLB package for years, for a ton of teams, I cannot underscore how accurate Az's comment is.

The Pirates A team - Greg Brown, Bob Walk - roots for the Pirates, but knows baseball, knows the other team, knows the players on the other team.

The Phillies crew on the Pirates? A dozen extras from World War Z know more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:26 am 

It's almost impressive how bad the Reds announcers consistently are. And yeah, I know it's extremely easy and/or cliche to make such comments about announce crews but they're just absurdly incompetent. To be fair it isn't so much their baseball knowledge but just the style of play-by-play and homer bias (yes, even grading on a curve considering no team's announce crew is immune to a certain level of homer-ism). And I'm just talking the TV crew so not even getting into my disdain for local cult hero radio announcer Marty Brennaman. His son Thom does TV and has an uncanny habit of going off on random overly-patriotic rants. Jeff Brantley, who's gimmick is that his nickname is "the cowboy", has this extremely heavy Southern accent and talks slower than any human I've ever encountered.

When Bob Brenly was a Cubs WGN announcer he was the worst single announcer I've ever heard, not even close.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:09 am 

Ok so that is who the cowboy is....I had Reds/Bucs on xm radio driving to the west coast meeting of minds and they kept referring to the cowboy... :roll: :roll: ...and don't get me going on Thom Brenneman...he is just awful...so glad he is not here anymore. I just had to turn him off... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

I absolutely love Brown and the majority of the Pirates announcers. I can't listen to Wehner. He needs to take the marbles out of his mouth when he talks.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:51 pm 

He is better than when he started though.... :shock: :shock: :shock: