Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Rotten One
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53 pm 

Hello,
I'm new to the board.

I believe:

1. Huntington has done a good job and Hurdle has not.
2. GI Jones should play over Gaby Sanchez. Always!
3. Liriano may be the best pitcher for the money in baseball
4. Acquiring Stanton would put the Buc's in the playoffs this year.
5. Acquiring Stanton would make the Pirates less than mediocre in a few years.
6. If the Angels fall a little farther behind, Mark Trumbo would be a nice addition to the PBC.
7. Marte trys to look like a young Clemente. And I like it!
8. Cardinals SUCK!

Post subject: Re: The Rotten One
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Welcome to the board! I tend to agree with all of your points ;)

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:12 am 

The Rotten One wrote:
2. GI Jones should play over Gaby Sanchez. Always!

All of your other points are valid but this one is glaringly wrong. Garrett Jones's career OPS against LHP is worse than last year's OPS of Clint Barmes. Meanwhile Gaby's career OPS against LHP is a very good .883. Textbook example of an effective platoon advantage. Futhermore, and while I don't expect it to continue, Jones isn't even doing what he's supposed to (hitting RHP) very well this year. So what exactly warrants that Jones should always be starting?

Alas, welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 am 

Its my absolute utter disdain for the 3 year slump that is gaby Sanchez. But he's coming out of it any time now. He's working on some things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 am 

Welcome aboard, Rotten One.

One of my favorite singers of all time is Johnny Rotten. Seriously. Any inspiration for your moniker?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 am 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
Welcome aboard, Rotten One.

One of my favorite singers of all time is Johnny Rotten. Seriously. Any inspiration for your moniker?

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:13 am 

Bucfan wrote:
One of my favorite singers of all time is Johnny Rotten.

Bucfan, I would never have guessed that one...God Save the Queen...... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am 

The B side of God Save the Queen and my fave Sex Pistols number.....just for you Bucfan...... :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bucfan, I would never have guessed that one...God Save the Queen...... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yeah, that is true. I was 17 years old in 1978, however. The Pistols were one of the most entertaining, hilarious bands, ever.

Johnny Lydon's interview with Tom Snyder is great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The B side of God Save the Queen and my fave Sex Pistols number.....just for you Bucfan...... :D :D :D

Thx, Az.

I knew you would appreciate the Pistols. You are very musically eclectic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 am 

They just rock it...... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 am 

While I'm an old rock n roller and love Rotten Johnny....Its more because my wife tells me that I live my life like Ive been spoiled rotten forever. I find nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 am 

Generally agree, Mr. Rotten, though you can't bat G.I. Jones against left-handers. He's a tiger against righties but a pussycat against southpaws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Yeah, that is true. I was 17 years old in 1978, however. The Pistols were one of the most entertaining, hilarious bands, ever.

Johnny Lydon's interview with Tom Snyder is great.

I was about 13 in 1978 and a scary kid with a bowl haircut lived up the street from me. He never spoke to anyone and one day, I went by his house and he had a speaker up in the window. I clearly heard "Beat On The Brat With A Baseball Bat". That was my introduction to The Ramones. I asked him about it and then he said, "check this out." He played "Never Mind The Bollocks" for me and that was it.

Music needed to be intense and loud for me from that day forward. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 am 

VanSlick wrote:
I was about 13 in 1978 and a scary kid with a bowl haircut lived up the street from me. He never spoke to anyone and one day, I went by his house and he had a speaker up in the window. I clearly heard "Beat On The Brat With A Baseball Bat". That was my introduction to The Ramones. I asked him about it and then he said, "check this out." He played "Never Mind The Bollocks" for me and that was it.

Cool story, Slick. I had an acquaintance at the time who later became a good friend, and who told me, "You need to listen to this album" and loaned it to me:

I listened to the album and called him. Went over to his house, and he played Bollocks. Track 1, "Holidays in Cambodia." The guitar riff was like 1000 cups of espresso. Exactly as you describe it, that was it for me ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm 

Foo Fighters have a solid version of "Holiday in Cambodia"

Not to be confused with "Holiday in the sun" by the sex Pistols.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Generally agree, Mr. Rotten, though you can't bat G.I. Jones against left-handers. He's a tiger against righties but a pussycat against southpaws.

Here's my problem. GI Jones has less at bats against left handers (16) than AJ Burnett does. Gaby Sanchez has 115 at bats against right handers to which he has hit .200 and provided 3 HR and 15 RBI's. Jones against right handers has 8 HR and 37 RBI's.

My problem is that Sanchez is taking significant AB's from Jones on the right side. As much as 1/3rd of the right side at bats are swallowed by a guy who hits .200 there.

Obviously Hurdle thinks Sanchez is better

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Here's my problem. GI Jones has less at bats against left handers (16) than AJ Burnett does. Gaby Sanchez has 115 at bats against right handers to which he has hit .200 and provided 3 HR and 15 RBI's. Jones against right handers has 8 HR and 37 RBI's.

My problem is that Sanchez is taking significant AB's from Jones on the right side. As much as 1/3rd of the right side at bats are swallowed by a guy who hits .200 there.

The relevant issue is how many times is Sanchez getting at-bats against right handers when Jones is on the bench as opposed to when Jones playing in right field. With Tabata hurt and Snider struggling, it is a more than reasonable lineup decision to play Jones in RF and Sanchez at 1B against a righty. I haven't the time to look it up but I'd be very surprised if Sanchez has started at 1B against a right handed pitcher with Jones sitting on the bench. If it has happened, it is an infrequent occurrence and only during the time that Sanchez was hitting well.

Also, due to the number of right handed pitchers versus the number of left handed pitchers, right handed hitters will always have a greater opportunity to hit against righties than the opposite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

Not at all. In fact, Jones has 81 more ABs than Gaby does on the season. You're over-thinking it ... it's a platoon for two players with uneven splits. Nothing more, nothing less.

As No. 9 stated, Gaby has gotten more ABs against RHP because Jones can play two positions and not lose those ABs and also due to a lack of bench options with injuries to players like Tabata, which is why you saw in an interleague series like in Anaheim that the best option was to play both of them with one serving as DH regardless of who was pitching instead of starting a player like Inge or Barmes. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hurdle having a "preference" to either guy.

Furthermore, starting Gaby against RHP isn't nearly as risky as Jones against LHP. Gaby's career splits aren't nearly as extreme.. a .705 OPS is subpar for his position but not completely terrible like Jones's .576 against LHP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm 

Hey Bucfan:

Holiday in Cambodia is a Dead Kennedy's song -- not Pistols or Clash.