Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
For what it's worh this is how I see it, the cardinals have the obvious upper hand in offense, bench, starting pitching and coaching, we have them beat in bullpen arms and speed, defense is a toss up. Even though we have played them well this year I see them winning the division, it is between us the reds and the nats for the final two playoff spots.

The cardinals are built with 10 solid position players and of those 10, Beltran, Holiday, Craig and Molina are the superstars with Carpenter being on the verge of being another 200 hit guy on that team along with John Jay, David Freese and budding star Matt Adams to go along with that nasty rotation I think they are going to run away with baseballs best record.

We need to beat the teams we are now better then, and avoid extended periods of bad baseball, easier said then done but we can do it, it's obvious we are built better now than any time over the last two years and this is a deeper team, our bench needs to improve, Sanchez and Pressley need to be up and Inge, Snider and Mckennry need to go, I know Sanchez needs to keep playing in AAA but Martin needs some rest and Mckennry can't hit or field and we should groom our future catcher now with Martin here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Well hell-- they're so good and we're so bad, my guess is that we should stop playing and just pay homage to the 'great' Cardinal.
Foe goodness sake, you probably agreed that we were 4th best in the central. What about the mighty Reds who were picked by all to win our division.
I'm thinking you should go post on the St. Louis team board where you will find others who agree with you.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Never once did I say we were the fourth best team in our division, I was simply expressing my opinion on a message board (shocking). The pirates and the rest of mlb have alot of baseball, and the bucs have set themselves up for a successful year, I think they have a great shot at the postseason but I am not counting on the division because the cardinals are stacked.....BUT, my word means nothing, I am just a fan, the pirates may very well win the division, they have played well all year and there is no reason why they can't for the final 75.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Naples, FL
You can find people outside of the Cardinals board that think that they are the best team in baseball.

"It is between us and the Reds and the Nats for the wild cards" - where does that even begin to suggest that he thinks the Bucs are the 4th best team in the division? By division, do you mean entire National League?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
The Cardinals are very good. Check out how they won their game yesterday against the Marlins and compare it to how the Pirates lost their game against the Cubs. Two close games, and one team came through to beat an inferior opponent while the other team failed to execute in key situations (i.e., stranding two runners at third with less than two outs and giving up an unearned run).

The Pirates can't afford to go 2-4 against the likes of the Phillies and Cubs if they want a legitimate shot at winning the National League Central...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
J_C_Steel wrote:
The Cardinals are very good. Check out how they won their game yesterday against the Marlins and compare it to how the Pirates lost their game against the Cubs. Two close games, and one team came through to beat an inferior opponent while the other team failed to execute in key situations (i.e., stranding two runners at third with less than two outs and giving up an unearned run).

The Pirates can't afford to go 2-4 against the likes of the Phillies and Cubs if they want a legitimate shot at winning the National League Central...


Holy S*^t JC, what do you expect? What about all the times this year that the Bucs took care of business against inferior opponents, and how many times have the Cards lost to inferior opponents (ahem... LAA).

For Pete's sake, something they did for the first time this year and your rolling out the "they can't take care of business" rote.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
ZelieMike wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
The Cardinals are very good. Check out how they won their game yesterday against the Marlins and compare it to how the Pirates lost their game against the Cubs. Two close games, and one team came through to beat an inferior opponent while the other team failed to execute in key situations (i.e., stranding two runners at third with less than two outs and giving up an unearned run).

The Pirates can't afford to go 2-4 against the likes of the Phillies and Cubs if they want a legitimate shot at winning the National League Central...


Holy S*^t JC, what do you expect? What about all the times this year that the Bucs took care of business against inferior opponents, and how many times have the Cards lost to inferior opponents (ahem... LAA).

For Pete's sake, something they did for the first time this year and your rolling out the "they can't take care of business" rote.

ZM


I just used one example, ZM. I know what the Pirates have done in this first half of 2013, and you won't find a more optimistic sort than me. The reason I mentioned the discrepancy between the Cardinals and Pirates was because I was able to watch both games yesterday. The Cardinals got it done in a close game, and the Pirates didn't. I'm sure that the opposite has occurred plenty of times this season, but given that we've entered the "dreaded" second half of the season, the hairs on the back of neck are a bit stiffer at this point...

That's all.

Now watch as the Pirates take 2 of 3 from the As and sweep the Mets. Then I'll come back here, post some funny videos, and you can call me ridiculous.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
J_C_Steel wrote:
The Pirates can't afford to go 2-4 against the likes of the Phillies and Cubs if they want a legitimate shot at winning the National League Central...


They can, however, "afford" to go 7-5 against the Cubs and 4-3 against the Phillies like they have done on the season.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
TheShark wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
The Pirates can't afford to go 2-4 against the likes of the Phillies and Cubs if they want a legitimate shot at winning the National League Central...


They can, however, "afford" to go 7-5 against the Cubs and 4-3 against the Phillies like they have done on the season.


Fair enough. Currently tied and with 14 games left against the Cardinals, the Pirates have an opportunity to seize the division from the favorite.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Yea but 8-4 and 5-2 would be better. Lets not expect good, for once let's be greedy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
In their first meeting this year (not that long ago), the Marlins took 2 of 3 from the Cardinals. S&%t happens.

Its a long season. There will be highs and lows. Minimize the lows (i.e. don't get swept) and try to maximize the highs.

I'm as frustrated as the next Pirates' fan that they just lost two of three to the lowly Cubs. But . . . I'm pretty sure that the Cubs had won six of their last nine series. They've been playing better baseball.

Liriano pitched well and received some offense.
Morton was mediocre and received no offensive support.
Burnett pitched well and received no offensive support and a key error on an easy play cost a run.

People can bitch and moan all they want about Inge being in the lineup yesterday but the loss can't be hanged on him. Jones' error in the third was atrocious. Martin's errant throw in the 11th played a key role in the loss. Alvarez looking at strike 3 with a runner on third and one out (no runs scored in that inning after his AB) and Mercer's inability to drive in a run with runners on second and third and one out were hugely blown opportunities to put key runs on the board.

On Saturday, Marte was on third base with one out and McCutchen at bat. Stranded. 6 baserunners in 9 innings.

I'll go back to what I wrote - ad nauseum - when a good number of KBs were being burned up on this Board with people clamoring for Jordy Mercer to be playing shortstop. This team will not rise/fall with whether Barmes or Mercer is playing SS. It will depend greatly upon whether Marte hits, Walker hits and whether the 1B/RF platoons can be productive offensively. And . . . as of now . . . Walker is in a funk, Snider can't hit the broad side of a barn and Jones/Sanchez are slumping. Cutch and Alvarez can't carry this team alone. Martin continues to get on base with regularity but they need for people who are paid to hit the ball to start hitting the ball.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
batterup wrote:
Yea but 8-4 and 5-2 would be better. Lets not expect good, for once let's be greedy


You're welcome to think that way, personally I like to think more realistically and not set myself up for disappointment by setting too high of expectations. I'm not going to complain about posting winning records against teams. Judging by how a few of the games in both this Cubs series and the first series of the year went they could very likely be a couple of games improved on that record, but that's not always how it does.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Look, it's time to believe. Cards have a couple very young SP who may or may not continue to sizzle as the season wears on. If you check the standings, you'll find we have a winning % of .615. No one, even the cards, has a better record.
Maybe on paper we're the 4th best in the central and they're first or second. But as is often stated-- there is a reason to play the games.

It will be what it will be. But consider the clubhouse in Pittsburgh and speculate their record if their attitude is similar to some of you.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2122
The bucs started the season (first 81) 1-5. They started the second half of the season (second 81) 2-4. Lets get a repeat from here on out. Just have to play sound ball and beat the teams opposing you. Not worried about the Card until the series against them.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
We're just nervous because of the history. 2-4 is not a big deal. But its possible that this is the beginning of a long term slide.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1444
Location: Eastern Shore
buccosfan77 wrote:
The bucs started the season (first 81) 1-5. They started the second half of the season (second 81) 2-4. Lets get a repeat from here on out. Just have to play sound ball and beat the teams opposing you. Not worried about the Card until the series against them.

That's a cheering thought!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
No. 9 wrote:
I'll go back to what I wrote - ad nauseum - when a good number of KBs were being burned up on this Board with people clamoring for Jordy Mercer to be playing shortstop. This team will not rise/fall with whether Barmes or Mercer is playing SS. It will depend greatly upon whether Marte hits, Walker hits and whether the 1B/RF platoons can be productive offensively. And . . . as of now . . . Walker is in a funk, Snider can't hit the broad side of a barn and Jones/Sanchez are slumping. Cutch and Alvarez can't carry this team alone. Martin continues to get on base with regularity but they need for people who are paid to hit the ball to start hitting the ball.


The team may not rise and fall based on "Mercer or Barmes at SS," No. 9, but it's still one area where the Pirates have upgraded by a good margin. I don't see how that swap is any more or less valuable than getting better production from Marte, or Walker, or the 1B/RF platoons. To wit:

By WAR, Mercer's 48 games played, including his defense, have already been worth 1.2 WAR -- that plays out to more than 3.6 WAR for a full season. Barmes, including his defense, has posted a WAR of -0.4 in 58 games, which comes out to about -1.2 WAR for a full season. Accordingly, Mercer's value -- if he merely continues playing as he has thus far and doesn't improve -- is about 2.4 wins better than Barmes over the second half of this season.

I'd wager that 2.4 wins could make all the difference to this Pirates team in terms of whether or not they qualify for the... word that rhymes with "tradeoffs."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10721
I believe the absolute definition of "small sample size" is to look at what the Cardinals did in one game, and compare that to what the Pirates did in another on the same day.

The Cardinals have a solid line-up and excellent starting pitching. They are going to regress in terms of hitting with RISP, unless you expect them to continue to hit .370 the rest of the season. (I don't.)

Their rookie pitchers will regress. Mujica is a guy who does the job, but is not overwhelming me, at all. I think he is due to regress simply because he is not likely to continue to benefit from a BABIP of .210, and where he K's less than 8 batters per 9 IP. Seriously, he is due to blow a few saves and games.

So the battle for the division will remain close.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
Bucfan wrote:
I believe the absolute definition of "small sample size" is to look at what the Cardinals did in one game, and compare that to what the Pirates did in another on the same day.

The Cardinals have a solid line-up and excellent starting pitching. They are going to regress in terms of hitting with RISP, unless you expect them to continue to hit .370 the rest of the season. (I don't.)

Their rookie pitchers will regress. Mujica is a guy who does the job, but is not overwhelming me, at all. I think he is due to regress simply because he is not likely to continue to benefit from a BABIP of .210, and where he K's less than 8 batters per 9 IP. Seriously, he is due to blow a few saves and games.

So the battle for the division will remain close.


I sure hope so.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Substitute2 wrote:
Look, it's time to believe. Cards have a couple very young SP who may or may not continue to sizzle as the season wears on. If you check the standings, you'll find we have a winning % of .615. No one, even the cards, has a better record.
Maybe on paper we're the 4th best in the central and they're first or second. But as is often stated-- there is a reason to play the games.

It will be what it will be. But consider the clubhouse in Pittsburgh and speculate their record if their attitude is similar to some of you.


I don't get why you keep saying we are the fourth best team in the central... All I said was the cards are stacked but we have a good team and have a better than great shot for October. Stop putting words in my mouth, never did I say we are the fourth best team in the division, that's just dumb. My goodness, people are allowed to have opinions that are different then yours


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits