Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2206
Location: Naples, FL
rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Gomez warming up? Is grilli unavailable? Why not use your best reliever against 3-4-5?


When you are on the road in extras you still use your closer as a closer. At home in extras you use him against the heart of the order.



But why? Is it only because saves exist?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
Come on Morris!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Tejas
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Gomez warming up? Is grilli unavailable? Why not use your best reliever against 3-4-5?


When you are on the road in extras you still use your closer as a closer. At home in extras you use him against the heart of the order.



But why? Is it only because saves exist?


Yes. Well, and Clint is old school. That combo pretty much necessitates Grilli must pitch the final frame possible.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
Hard to criticize Martin, but hat was an awful throw.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Gomez warming up? Is grilli unavailable? Why not use your best reliever against 3-4-5?


When you are on the road in extras you still use your closer as a closer. At home in extras you use him against the heart of the order.



But why? Is it only because saves exist?


Because if you take the lead usually its only by 1 or 2 runs. Since the home team will still get an at bat you'll want your best pitcher to end the game.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2157
Had him 0-2...why not go for a strikeout, then walk this guy???


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4882
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Bases loaded with no outs. Even the Cubs can't blow this. Sigh.

_________________
#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am
Posts: 535
Location: Oregon
bragged on Martin too soon. :(

We get out of this...we qualify for Houdini school.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
Everyone can say what they want about the pitching today but there is no excuse for this offense against the cubs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Tejas
PirateParrot wrote:
Had him 0-2...why not go for a strikeout, then walk this guy???


Playing the numbers has never exactly been a Hurdle strength....

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
We lose. Not liking the way things are headed. You keep stranding runners like that, you don't win. It's gotta stop.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 pm
Posts: 407
Why do I still feel that this offense sucks even with the record they have?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2206
Location: Naples, FL
Quote:

Because if you take the lead usually its only by 1 or 2 runs. Since the home team will still get an at bat you'll want your best pitcher to end the game.


Well...i guess i just think that's misguided. I'd rather have my best pitcher face rizzo and soriano and let someone else take their chances with darwin barney.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Quote:

Because if you take the lead usually its only by 1 or 2 runs. Since the home team will still get an at bat you'll want your best pitcher to end the game.


Well...i guess i just think that's misguided. I'd rather have my best pitcher face rizzo and soriano and let someone else take their chances with darwin barney.


You play the odds I guess. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Looking at the averages of Soriano and Rizzo though you shouldn't have needed Grilli.

Bottom line though, this offense failed and it never should have gone to extras.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am
Posts: 535
Location: Oregon
Lost last two series to also-rans. If we persist in just scoring a couple runs a game, we will stress our starting pitching and pen......and we all know how that worked out the past couple years.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
Now we have a very very hot A's team coming to town. We lose to two series to two losing teams like Phil's and cubs. Not liking this at all.

Agreed, grilli on melancon should have been in there. Clint is too concerned over pitch counts etc. like herm Edwards said "you play to win the game".


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
borohockey8 wrote:
Why do I still feel that this offense sucks even with the record they have?


While I don't think the future should be mortgaged, anyone who doesn't think we need a big time hitter is mistaken. It sucks that every time we get to extras we hope the pitching can hold out until Cutch or Pedro come up does not make us a contender.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
Clevelandsux wrote:
Now we have a very very hot A's team coming to town. We lose to two series to two losing teams like Phil's and cubs. Not liking this at all.

Agreed, grilli on melancon should have been in there. Clint is too concerned over pitch counts etc. like herm Edwards said "you play to win the game".


Melancon was in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 905
Clevelandsux wrote:
Now we have a very very hot A's team coming to town. We lose to two series to two losing teams like Phil's and cubs. Not liking this at all.

Agreed, grilli on melancon should have been in there. Clint is too concerned over pitch counts etc. like herm Edwards said "you play to win the game".


It's hindsight. You go up by a run and put Morris in there to close because you used Grilli and the same thing happens your argument would be why did we use Grilli early. It's baseball.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: July 7, 2013 Pirates (53-33) at Cubs (37-48)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Tejas
borohockey8 wrote:
Why do I still feel that this offense sucks even with the record they have?


Because they aren't as good as their record....

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Az Bucco fan, Bing [Bot], bucco boy, Corsair, Google [Bot], PirateParrot, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits