Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daniel Cabrera Signs with Nats
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

Didn't I read somewhere that the deal the Bucs offered was a minor league deal? I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:58 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Didn't I read somewhere that the deal the Bucs offered was a minor league deal? I might be wrong.

For over 2.6 million, that would sound odd.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
That was a deal that we should have been able to outbid.
Like i said i think all the free agent talks in Pittsburgh are just to keep people happy and there isn't ever a plan to sign them.
We will sign a bunch of minor leagues that sign cheap because they will get a shot at playing in the majors again.
We have turned into a minor league team.
I didn't think things could get much worse but im afraid they are.

We did outbid them, according to the PG
The Pirates offered a slightly higher salary than what free-agent starter Daniel Cabrera accepted from the Washington Nationals in signing his one-year, $2.6 million contract over the weekend. Cabrera, formerly of the Baltimore Orioles, chose Washington because he wanted to remain in the Beltway area.

How about that? Now what is the argument?

Well my agruement now will be back to where i started and that the pirates knew they didn't stand a chance at getting him and all of the free agent talks that run through Pittsburgh are just to keep the fans from turning on the team.
We will end up with a couple of over the hill free agents that don't work out here or minor leagues that we are grooming for one of the bigger market teams.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
That was a deal that we should have been able to outbid.
Like i said i think all the free agent talks in Pittsburgh are just to keep people happy and there isn't ever a plan to sign them.
We will sign a bunch of minor leagues that sign cheap because they will get a shot at playing in the majors again.
We have turned into a minor league team.
I didn't think things could get much worse but im afraid they are.

We did outbid them, according to the PG
The Pirates offered a slightly higher salary than what free-agent starter Daniel Cabrera accepted from the Washington Nationals in signing his one-year, $2.6 million contract over the weekend. Cabrera, formerly of the Baltimore Orioles, chose Washington because he wanted to remain in the Beltway area.

How about that? Now what is the argument?

Well my agruement now will be back to where i started and that the pirates knew they didn't stand a chance at getting him and all of the free agent talks that run through Pittsburgh are just to keep the fans from turning on the team.

Sorry, Colin, but if thats your argument, its ridiculous. Why would the Bucs think they had no chance of getting him? They made the best offer to a player with a toxic resume'. And the rest of it, the idea that an offer to Cabrera could be used to maintain fan enthusiasm... you must be joking. While it might have been an interesting, high ceiling move to sign him, I doubt Huntington said to himself; "We have to keep our fans interested. Lets make a BS offer to Daniel Cabrera!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:28 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Sorry, Colin, but if thats your argument, its ridiculous. Why would the Bucs think they had no chance of getting him? They made the best offer to a player with a toxic resume'. And the rest of it, the idea that an offer to Cabrera could be used to maintain fan enthusiasm... you must be joking. While it might have been an interesting, high ceiling move to sign him, I doubt Huntington said to himself; "We have to keep our fans interested. Lets make a BS offer to Daniel Cabrera!"

Colin changing his argument to the one above just shows that Colin is more interested in denigrating the team than he is in seeing them make good decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:26 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin changing his argument to the one above just shows that Colin is more interested in denigrating the team than he is in seeing them make good decisions.

So you basically mean he just wants to bitch about the Pirates...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:02 pm 

Its not really that i want to complain about them its just should i get excited when we sign Ray King and hes off the team by June.
I thought last year we made some good off-season moves with players that we could take a chance on.
Tyler Yates comes to mind for that argument.
Do u think people in Detriot are happy to see that they might not win a game.I don't.
Or should i be happy that are minors are looking good right now but they are gonna be picked bone dry by the big market teams.I was born in 1987 so yes i did miss alot of the "good" Pirate days.
I grew up watching my favorite players get breed to become big name players on other teams.
I love the Pirates and thats why im on this message board when in my lifetime they really haven't done much.Its easy to love the Steelers but no matter what.No matter how much of a minor league team i think the Pirates are turning into they will always be "my team".
When we made the Giles trade i was happy with it cause we got talent for him and he was an aging player now trades like the Bay,Nady,and Bautista trades just make me turn my head and say whats going on , and now No activity in the free agent market its hard to keep your head up.
This is why i believe that the Pirates have lost so much interest in people in the age group of 18-25.
Its not even a winner im looking for i'm just looking to not have another setback season.