Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daniel Cabrera Signs with Nats
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:01 pm 

Its a one year deal. Supposedly, the 3 finalists were the Nats, Mets, and Bucs.

Post subject: Re: Daniel Cabrera Signs with Nats
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:26 pm 

I'll be curious to see how much it cost to get him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:33 pm 

THIS IS MY RETURN
AFTER A MONTH AND A HALF OF MY FORGOTTEN PASSWORD I HAVE RETURNED.
Now on to this topic...
Does anybody really think we ever had a chance at signing Cabrera or do you think it was still us fans holding out hope that this won't be the worst off-season in our 100 year+ history.
That is what this off-season is coming to. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
do you think it was still us fans holding out hope that this won't be the worst off-season in our 100 year+ history.

Wow, worst Bucco off season ever. That is setting the bar VERY high. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 pm 

Well i can put it like this.
My chances to become a Pittsburgh Pirate get better and better everyday.
Instead of pulling a ticket out of a hat and having them pick a free gift why don't we let them get on the field and pitch in relief for us.
We might find a diamond in the rough!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:19 am 

Kingston wrote:
I'll be curious to see how much it cost to get him.

How's $2.6 mil sound?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:38 pm 

Id also like to know what we offered. When a deal closes at 2.6, how much could we have been outbid by?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:14 pm 

That was a deal that we should have been able to outbid.
Like i said i think all the free agent talks in Pittsburgh are just to keep people happy and there isn't ever a plan to sign them.
We will sign a bunch of minor leagues that sign cheap because they will get a shot at playing in the majors again.
We have turned into a minor league team.
I didn't think things could get much worse but im afraid they are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:50 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Like i said i think all the free agent talks in Pittsburgh are just to keep people happy and there isn't ever a plan to sign them.
We will sign a bunch of minor leagues that sign cheap because they will get a shot at playing in the majors again.

Being able to outbid $2.6M is far different from having good reason to do so. Cabrera has been a disaster for most of his career. Why gamble $2.6M on that?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Being able to outbid $2.6M is far different from having good reason to do so. Cabrera has been a disaster for most of his career. Why gamble $2.6M on that?

While "disaster" is a strong word, you are otherwise spot-on. Yes, we should have been ABLE to pay him more than $2.6 mil. However, we should NOT have done so. As you said, he is a gamble. IF that gamble is less than $2.5 mil, its hard to argue with. More than that and the risks probably outweigh the benefits.

Further, we don't know that the Pirates didn't outbid the Nats. He chose to accept the Nats deal. Maybe he saw that they have even less pitching depth than we do and figured that there would be a greater margin of error. Maybe he bought a house in the area while playing for Baltimore and wanted to stay close to home. I say this because some other team apparently offered him a 2 year deal that he turned down, so this may not have been about money. Don't let that get in the way of your anti-management rants though. We all really missed you Colin. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:40 pm 

From what I heard on Fox, he still believes hes just around the corner from a breakout season and didnt want to be locked into a small salary if he actually had it.

Its hard to deny this guys numbers have been awful year after year. But wow, i watched him last May look like an All Star. The talent is there, he just has to harness it, if possible.

At this point it would be easy for me to say Id rather spend 2.6 on a kid like this than 2 on a utilityman. But realistically, thats a moot point for me til we're close to contention. At that point, tho, we're gonna have to find the talented kids with the unrealized potential and take the risk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Its hard to deny this guys numbers have been awful year after year. But wow, i watched him last May look like an All Star. The talent is there, he just has to harness it, if possible.

Agreed. The guy's stuff, for those who have not seen him pitch, reminds me a lot of Jake Peavy - but without the control.

His fastball dives and moves like a hummingbird, and he has this whiffle-ball slider. He just cannot throw strikes consistently enough. When he is "on," he is un-freaking-hittable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:05 pm 

Kingston wrote:
From what I heard on Fox, he still believes hes just around the corner from a breakout season and didnt want to be locked into a small salary if he actually had it.

DCab has been "just around the corner from a breakout season" for the past 4 seasons. He's had ample opportunity to harness his talent in Baltimore, as well as two of the best pitching coaches in modern baseball history, and has, if anything, regressed in the past several years. What he's good for is 200+ IP (not inconsiderable) and 4-5 absolutely dominating starts per year (caveat: if his declining K/9 #s are any indicator, those will be getting even fewer and further between). Plus, he may very well be the worst fielding pitcher in the history of the game. Ever.

I really can not see how any one could be all that broken up by the Nats outbidding the Pirates for his services. I strongly suspect he was motivated to sign with DC because he was too lazy to put his house on the market and move.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I strongly suspect he was motivated to sign with DC because he was too lazy to put his house on the market and move.

Rousing endorsement for the guy ... here are his favorite exhibits at the zoo:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 am 

Colin21 wrote:

We did outbid them, according to the PG
The Pirates offered a slightly higher salary than what free-agent starter Daniel Cabrera accepted from the Washington Nationals in signing his one-year, $2.6 million contract over the weekend. Cabrera, formerly of the Baltimore Orioles, chose Washington because he wanted to remain in the Beltway area.

How about that? Now what is the argument?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:

PF13-

Puh-lease! Those are just FACTS. Why would you let those stand in the way of someone's OPINION??!! Huntington is an idiot, Coonelly is an idiot, and Nutting is an idiot. Just learn the mantra.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:27 pm 

BBF wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

PF13-

Puh-lease! Those are just FACTS. Why would you let those stand in the way of someone's OPINION??!! Huntington is an idiot, Coonelly is an idiot, and Nutting is an idiot. Just learn the mantra.

ohh ohh sorry... hold on... ok... N u t t i n g i s a n i d i o t..... C o o n e l l y i s a n i d i o t... sound better, do I sound brainwashed?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:35 pm 

BBF wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

PF13-

Sorry BBF, I gotta disagree with you here. Nutting is not an "idiot", he's a money grubbing idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:41 pm 

If guys like Cabrera are finding reasons to say "no thanks" to the Bucs even when we're the highest bidder, then we have bigger problems than whether or not Nutting is an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:46 pm 

Kingston wrote:
If guys like Cabrera are finding reasons to say "no thanks" to the Bucs even when we're the highest bidder, then we have bigger problems than whether or not Nutting is an idiot.

I kind of like this built in "anti-overpriced mediocre talent" defense mechanism.