Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excited
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 pm 

Tomorrow morning I pack the Jeep and we leave the miserable swamps and strip malls of the hell on earth that is Delaware behind for a 5 day weekend in Pittsburgh. Will be my first time back since moving to CA back in 09. Best part is we'll get in in time to catch the Pirates game tomorrow night (and maybe even BP). Will be my first game at PNC since the summer of 09, and my first Pirates game at all since I saw them in Dodger Stadium in 2011. As a former season ticket holder, it will feel great to go back to the ballpark!

Best part- I'll be taking my 25 month old son to his first game. He's memorized and is always reciting the list of players who have their numbers retired by the Pirates- I think he'll be thrilled to see the Clemente, Stargell, Wagner, and Maz statues (the last of which I'll be seeing for the first time). And we are sitting in section 28 so he can watch "MARTE PARTAY", which he loves to shout when the games are on TV. Might have to buy him a Marte shersey while we are there.

Borderline giddy to be going to a baseball game. And to see this team...man. Too bad I'll miss Cole pitching by one day. We'll catch Locke, who was actually the SP in the game I was at 2 years ago in Dodger stadium (one of his first starts- he didn't fare well). I might have to skip out on family stuff and sneak away to PNC for Thursday's game to catch Cole...

Can't wait!

Post subject: Re: Excited
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:17 pm 

Dude that post sums up "What it's all about" better than anything else. Enjoy your trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 pm 

Enjoy it. And, as has been the recent trend around here, take/post pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 pm 

Have a great time at PNC...especially with your son. I hope the Bucs will be winners including celebrating a Marte Partay!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm 

have fun and be safe....I live in delaware also, and you are not exaggerating . you cant turn around without stepping in a swamp or seeing a new strip mall pop up.( with the same crappy stores in it)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:34 pm 

Great stuff. Im coming up to catch the Pirates game the Sunday before the All Star Break from Charleston, SC. Im flying in for the weekend for my cousins wedding. Instead of going on a honeymoon right away, there are 30 of us going to the Pirate game that sunday after the wedding. Needless to say, I will be extremly hungover, but I am so excited to get to PNC Park again because I havent been to a game since 2007.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 pm 

PNC: Baseball heaven! Beautiful park, great skyline...Well, you've heard it before. Have a great time!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 pm 

How great was the crowd?

Is Pedro now your son's favorite player?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 am 

Wow- great game, great crowd, great time.

Felt great to walk across the bridge before the game, see all the scalpers I remember, the saxaphone guy, the Clemente statue, everything.

Crowd was really good, and for the most part, really into the game. Compared to the games I remember from 09 where you could sometimes count the crowd, games where everyone was more interested in the wave and the pierogie races...this crowd was much more into the game on the field. The token drunk frat guys in 132 were trying to get the wave going several times and nada.

I'd give a full game report as we did back in the day around these parts, but 50% of my attention was on my toddler the whole game. Just a couple notes- Pedro's homer, from the third base side, looked crushed. Thought it would clear the stadium and was surprised it only went a few rows up. Either I have TIm Neveret depth perception or the ball jumps off his bat better than I thought.

I called Cutch's triple as soon as it left the bat- I started screaming "he's going 3" as he left the box. It was a scorched liner heading for the gap and he was flying to first, no doubt thinking 3. He seemed to even slow up going into second until he saw it wasn't fielded cleanly and then turned it back on and got in without a play. Exciting to see him run the bases- and to see him steal 3rd as well. Sitting at field level by 3rd base was a good choice tonight.

John Lannan is slow. Like, Francisco Liriano slow. Thought for sure there wouldn't even be a play at the plate, and was stunned when the relay went home, Lannan had to slide, and the ump threw up the out sign. Saw the replay later and saw that Martin did an outstanding job blocking the plate.

I haven't really watched Locke a lot, but I have to admit, that if I was a Phillies fan who didn't know anything about him, I would have been nominating him to the Scotts Turf Builder hall of fame. He just looks...unimpressive. I know sabre-minded folks keep calling for a regression, but just watching him, I don't know how he is doing it. That isn't to say he looks bad, or his stuff is terrible. He just looked like run of the mill, back end of the rotation stuff. Certainly not league-leading ERA stuff.

On the other hand, Wilson looks filthy. THe stadium also has a pitch tracking thing that was saying his heat regularly had 6 or 7 inches of horizontal movement. Not sure how accurate that is, or how reliable it is based on release points, etc.

Grilli was getting hammered. In addition to the 2 run blast, there were a few long foul balls off of him too. If he gets selected to the ASG, I wouldn't mind if Bochy decided not to use him.

Anyways, Marte Partay didn't give us much to cheer about. But my mother did buy my son a new Pirates hat which is too big for his head, so he tucked his ears inside his cap. Pedro homered tonight...coincidence?

One last comment- just like bandwagon Pens fans who leave with a few minutes into the third to beat traffic, the stadium started emptying out by the top of the 8th. I know I shouldn't care if people want to leave, but what the hell. I've probably been to over 500 games at PNC, and I've never left one before the final at bat- rain delays, blow outs, 18 inning marathons against the Astros. Maybe that's just me. I can't tell you why it bugs me, but it does.

I'd post pictures, but I'm extremely camera shy.

Regardless, great time. Tomorrow we spend time at the regatta and a cookout. And maybe a few innings at the park to watch Cole.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 am 

pirate1218 wrote:
have fun and be safe....I live in delaware also, and you are not exaggerating . you cant turn around without stepping in a swamp or seeing a new strip mall pop up.( with the same crappy stores in it)

Honestly, the whole northern part of the state is what happens when you cram 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

The next thing I find about Delaware that I like will be the first.

Although, Keith Law recently moved to Wilmington, it's fun to catch a minor league game with him (though I know most here don't like him, I do).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 am 

BBF wrote:
Although, Keith Law recently moved to Wilmington, it's fun to catch a minor league game with him (though I know most here don't like him, I do).

You know Law personally?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:13 am 

TheShark wrote:
BBF wrote:

You know Law personally?

I wouldn't say I know him personally. But I've sat with him at a Blue Rocks game. I anticipate I'll probably see him there again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:43 am 

Nice report, BBF. Great that you have a chance to see the Buccos and help the team break its "losing streak." :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nice job BBF.

On Locke, remember this, Greg Maddux was wholly unimpressive "looking". But Locke, like him, or like Karsten's for that matter, lives on the corners and is unafraid to come inside when he needs to. He, like they, are mentally tough and if this game is 90% mental and the other 50% ability, that explains Locke to me.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
One last comment- just like bandwagon Pens fans who leave with a few minutes into the third to beat traffic, the stadium started emptying out by the top of the 8th. I know I shouldn't care if people want to leave, but what the hell. I've probably been to over 500 games at PNC, and I've never left one before the final at bat- rain delays, blow outs, 18 inning marathons against the Astros. Maybe that's just me. I can't tell you why it bugs me, but it does.

Maybe they have been watching too many Dodger's games.... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:43 pm 

A base canard. The only reason Dodger fans leave early is so they can make it over to Angie Jolie's house for her famous matzo ball soup.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 am 

Glad you were able to get back to the 'burg to see a game, BBF! I am excited for you too!! People in the city take this for granted, probably, but my heart still races like a kid every time I come through that tunnel and it opens up to the mecca that is the North Shore on my way to PNC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 am 

BBF wrote:
Wow- great game, great crowd, great time.

Well, you're not alone in that. But.... people most people attend games for the entertainment value, and a day at the park may not be about who wins or loses. Shocking, I know. The heat may be too much, you may have already spent all your cash by the time the 8th rolls around, tired kids (or wife for that matter), or you may really really really hate sitting in traffic getting out of the parking lot.

A live game is a rare enough occurrence for me that I never leave early, but you know, I go to the theater more than live sporting events, and I've rarely seen someone leave early. Maybe it's because in sports, there's always another game. Maybe it's because the theater isn't anticlimactic, you know, unlike Cutch's DP yesterday.

BBF wrote:
pirate1218 wrote:

Honestly, the whole northern part of the state is what happens when you cram 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

The next thing I find about Delaware that I like will be the first.

That's a shame, I loved living in Delaware back in the late 80s, but that was before the unbridled growth that the past 20+ years has brought. Had a great little apartment, best I have ever seen for the money, anywhere, and I lived across from Wesley's football field and I used to go catch games to see Frenchy Fuqua's son play.

I liked Rehoboth in the spring and fall, and even in the summer, it wasn't as crazy as Ocean City. Some great restaurants in Dover. There's a great little Indian restaurant in a Motel 8 across from Dover Downs. Not much atmosphere as you'd be the only folks in the restaurant, sort of like you have your own personal waiter, even in the buffet line. Though my favorite restaurant of all time has closed. It was Air Transport Command adjoining the Wilmington airport. I've driven there from Easton, MD half a dozen times.

Oh man.... now I am depressed. 3 Little Bakers, one of the greatest venues I've ever seen a show in, has closed. Damn. I was going to heartily recommend that place (best cheesecake I have ever had). F*ck the internet. I didn't need to know this....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Buck18 wrote:
A base canard. The only reason Dodger fans leave early is so they can make it over to Angie Jolie's house for her famous matzo ball soup.

mmmm... with a nice Sonoma Chardonnay, too, I'll bet.

ZM