Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When I coached
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 am 

... in high school, I told our kids during successful seasons that it was hard to be a good loser but much harder to be a good winner. The educator in me demanded that I use this as a teaching moment about humility.

Well, the hell with that. It's been so long in the making, we deserve to be cocky for a moment don't we?

Post subject: Re: When I coached
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am 

I Bragg about the pirates record to this point everyday. But see I work with Ohioans and everyone of them that are sports fans are true to their state, Indians or reds fans. I'm letting them know it, I'm letting them know there will be no such collapse coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Well, the hell with that.

Nice..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 am 

When I coached I used to tell my wrestlers you had from the end of the match until practice the next day to pout or gloat, but do it to where you don't get yourself look like an idiot or get yourself in trouble and so I don't have to see my bosses about you being dumb about it. Once practice starts it's back to business.

I once got my one heavyweight so mad because he was dogging it at practice one day before the state tournament he punched me in the mouth and broke a tooth.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am 

There is a difference between being celebratory and being cocky. Twenty years of bad karma does not lead me to trash talking and jumping on other teams message boards and spewing insults. I am very guarded in my optimism, but I am optimistic. We can enjoy it without being obnoxious versions of Cubs.....Red Sox....Yankees.... fill in the blank fans.

The biggest example of "trash talking too early" came in a Houston sports bar back in 02 or so when the Browns played the Steelers in a wild card game. There was an obnoxious Browns fan who started his drunken foul mouthed rants way to early, first half actually , commenting on Pittsburgh, the Steelers, Bill Cowher, Pittsburghers etc. Myself and the other Steeler fans just kept quiet. Our friends at Wickepedia will fill you in on what happened next:

"Facing Pittsburgh in the first round, the Browns led 33–21 with five minutes to go, but ultimately lost 36–33. Their largest lead in the game was 17 points—they led 24–7 in the third quarter; after that point the Steelers outscored them 29–9."

As that second half progressed, he got quieter and quieter, while we didn't exactly start yelling ourselves, but we were a bit more vocal. (One of my favorite jeers was, if you recall, earlier that year Browns defensive end Duane Rudd cost them a win, by yanking his helmet off in celebration of what should have been the last play of the game and the Browns lost after his penalty. I occasionally looked over at Browns fan and yelled, "Take your hat off Rudd!")

When the Steelers won, I walked right over to Asshole Browns fan and you know what I said to him? Nothing! Not a thing, I just stood there in his personal space for about 30 seconds. I mean his personal space. If he'd have moved his knee it would have bumped mine.

That felt beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 am 

I coached wrestling too. My philosophy included getting the light weight mad but never the big boys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
I coached wrestling too. My philosophy included getting the light weight mad but never the big boys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was a heavyweight (still am) so I had an advantage.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
... in high school, I told our kids during successful seasons that it was hard to be a good loser but much harder to be a good winner. The educator in me demanded that I use this as a teaching moment about humility.

Well, the hell with that. It's been so long in the making, we deserve to be cocky for a moment don't we?

I know where you are coming from, but your advice to your kids was sound. After 20 years, it's even harder to be a good winner, but good winners are so rare these days....