Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard to do
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:08 am 

"How you goin' keep'em down on the farm after they've seen Par-ee" -- Words to a very old song that my dead uncle used to sing once in a while. Maybe AZ has heard it but my guess is no one else here has.
The reference is to my man Cole and his immediate future. It might make good baseball sense for the reasons already discussed in detail, but what about the fans who paid their money yesterday to see him win number 4. I wouldn't want to be Huntington when and if he sends him down.

And what about the potential monies coming in by his next starts? Once you've been to the show with success, people expect more and more-- not being told to wait while we get room for him later. Doubt that he will see the farm again.

Post subject: Re: Hard to do
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am 

Sometimes when you've worked hard to get the train moving in the correct direction, you lose control of the fire wood and have to just sit back and enjoy the ride with everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't know nothin bout that, y'all. But I ain't doin nothin' today, and I ain't startin' til noon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:05 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
very old song that my dead uncle used to sing.

Your dead uncle could sing????

Seriously though, apart and aside from the thought of sending him down, there is the issue of his innings. I think someone did the math and said he could only make about 8-10 more starts and still have innings left in his arm for the postseason. So do you shut him down now? Space out his starts? Pitch him until he reaches 150-160 innings and then shut him down?

And regardless of which path you take, would it make more sense to not have him on the 25 man roster when he isn't pitching?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF it is NOT about innings, it is about pitches. He is not Strasburg as a rookie throwing 100 pitches a game. He is setting around 85. How many more innings does that buy you this year?

He should be treated like CC Sabathia was with the Indians as a rookie, and he will have plenty to offer in September.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 am 

Cole has earned a spot with the Big League club.

That is clear.

He can hold his own and he draws fans. What more can one expect from a rookie/first-time call-up?

If this were video game baseball or a movie you would just sit back and enjoy the ride, for sure.

In reality, you don't want another Mark Prior or Fidrych (*gulp*).

This FO has made pretty solid decisions the last 2+ years. Like Bucfan said in the TD thread, NH and co. have earned confidence/trust at this point.

Whatever they do will be in the best interests of the team. If some solution can be found where it will coincide with the playoff aspirations and entertainment of the team (ZM's idea), then perfect.