Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft results
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 pm 

Kind of surprising how little it was discussed this year before and after it came. For many years we have considered it crucial for us. Now - not so much. Must mean that the team now has depth and a much better organization all the way down to WV.

Also interesting that our two first rounders signed without holding out. The new slotting system seems to work for us too, and may stop the crazy hold outs and huge signings. It also means that players won't waste this first summer not getting the necessary training for their careers.

Post subject: Re: Draft results
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:04 pm 

I'm generally wrong so someone please correct my thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:08 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Kind of surprising how little it was discussed this year before and after it came. For many years we have considered it crucial for us. Now - not so much. Must mean that the team now has depth and a much better organization all the way down to WV.

Also interesting that our two first rounders signed without holding out. The new slotting system seems to work for us too, and may stop the crazy hold outs and huge signings. It also means that players won't waste this first summer not getting the necessary training for their careers.

The new system helps with the first round picks but I think the Pirates benefited more from the old system that would allow them to pay over slot and steal a few guys in the later rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

Yeah I wish they'd have moved the signing date up, but kept the old rules. I think the signing deadline is mid-July now, instead of August something.

Figure a guy like Gerrit Cole was drafted in June of 2011, waited until the last minute to sign, then didn't pitch in the farm system until the start of 2012. Based on his progression, if he starts pitching in mid-July, he ends the season in Altoona and starts last year in Indy and who knows when he might make it up. It takes long enough for these guys to get to the majors and the old CBA just delayed it further.

But, the big market teams didn't want to spend in the draft and have the small market teams exploit that, so of course they went ahead and took away all possible advantages.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm 

There are advantages to the new rules though. It simplifies things for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:42 pm 

The Pirates drafted and signed two very good left-handed bats in the 1st round. Meadows has speed, a great swing, developing power, can cover the OF, and a good throwing arm. I liked that during the interview, Meadows talked about going the other way, and said that pitchers started working him away, away, away so he worked on and become good at driving the ball oppo.

McGuire has one of the better swings among high school players. Very short, compact and powerful stroke. He is good defensively and can remain a catcher.

Two solid bats, one at a premium defensive position.

Further, the 2nd round lefty, Blake Taylor, is a very "projectable" lefty who deals 92-94 mph.

The 3rd rounder, Jones, can stay at MI and is fast, strong arm, great bat speed. His production was disappointing, but the Pirates feel like he has the tools to develop into a solid defender with a plus bat.

The Pirates system is now stocked with high-end, toolsy prospects whose "ceiling" is very high.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm 

There are many reasons why draft talk is less this year.

Of the main ones to consider right now:

1. The Big-League team is too successful to worry (or argue :D) about 'the future'.
2a. The Bucs didn't have a top-5 pick as in the Pre-Appel years.
2b. The Appel business may have soured some.
3. With the resurgence of TS and the progression of Cole, Taillon, etc., NH has been picking pretty well now for some time.

Overall, it seems like 'worrying' about who the Bucs get 'for the future' feels like more of a luxury as of right now than anything.

So long as NH proves to be more Walt Jocketty than Dave Littlefield that 'worrying' can continue to translate to 'casual optimism'.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm 

Picked up 2 more HS guys today by signing Nick Buckner and Billy Roth. Buckner is a OF and Roth is one of the tall RHP that they seem to like.

Like Bucfan says, they're really just trying to infuse toolsy guys with upside and, based on the law of averages, some will work out.

Was interesting seeing the Meadows/Frazier rumors headed up to the draft. Toolsy teams were loving Meadows, teams who liked polish loved Frazier. The only team both were connected to was the Red Sox, who wound up favoring Meadows (according to Law) after working them out side by side.

I think a lot of NS' points have merit too. People mentioned earlier that it was off how there was so little debate leading up to the draft, but I think it's tough to debate much during the run-up when you're picking so far back. It's a great problem to have, though, IMO. Picking in the top 2-3 definitely makes it easier to debate picks for months, but I'm tired of those days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:49 pm 

You just throw it up against the wall, trust your developmental guys, and see what sticks..... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:27 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Picked up 2 more HS guys today by signing Nick Buckner and Billy Roth. Buckner is a OF and Roth is one of the tall RHP that they seem to like.

Like Bucfan says, they're really just trying to infuse toolsy guys with upside and, based on the law of averages, some will work out.

Was interesting seeing the Meadows/Frazier rumors headed up to the draft. Toolsy teams were loving Meadows, teams who liked polish loved Frazier. The only team both were connected to was the Red Sox, who wound up favoring Meadows (according to Law) after working them out side by side.

I think a lot of NS' points have merit too. People mentioned earlier that it was off how there was so little debate leading up to the draft, but I think it's tough to debate much during the run-up when you're picking so far back. It's a great problem to have, though, IMO. Picking in the top 2-3 definitely makes it easier to debate picks for months, but I'm tired of those days.

It wasn't just Pittsburgh though. I don't think there was near the excitement over this draft that there normally is. I think part of it was this draft lacked consensus over the top picks. There was a lot of parity and you could make a number of arguments for different players when writing a top 10 based on your needs and the evaluation and team philosophies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm 

They, the draft experts, talked about how deep this draft was. The front office and scouting team have done an excellent job of building this system up and its deep with talent and solid players. Adding more talent is a huge bonus while also giving them time to develop and reach their goals.