Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Making the team better... the trade deadline thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
Robert Andino From the Mariners? ANother utility player?

A HERO.

The Curse of the Andino is real. If the Pirates face the Sox in October, this move is a game changer!

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm 
 WWW  Profile

In relation to the cries from last year - I just noticed that Chase Headley has been, well, quite average this year with the bat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
In relation to the cries from last year - I just noticed that Chase Headley has been, well, quite average this year with the bat.

Has been his whole career besides last year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:10 pm 

Interesting piece on the new GM of the Chicago Bears: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/953 ... philosophy

Thought this was particularly relevant, cross-sport, of what the new post-modern GM may look like...

Quote:
3. Having no fear of the unknown.

The sabermetric movement in baseball brought the concept of replacement level to sports, and it permanently changed the ways that we value players, both as fans and (amateur or professional) analysts. Teams who found a first baseman with a little bit of power or a sound reliever from Triple-A had a tangible reason to realize that they could move on from those players and find a new one without having to pay a premium, because supply was so plentiful and replacement level was so high. It's what led the Red Sox under Epstein to move on from the useful-if-replaceable Brian Daubach and go reaching into the free-agent market for a non-tendered first basemen who had failed to impress in his last stop, David Ortiz.

Bad organizations are terrified of the unknown and make moves to ensure that they'll never have to end up shopping in those circles, even if they found that talent there in the first place. They give that running back they plucked off the waiver wire and put behind their great offensive line a big new contract, even though there are dozens of running backs just waiting for a similar opportunity available for the minimum. They re-sign players to deals above market value because they're afraid of some near-zero possibility that they're the only team left with money to spend and there's nobody left to spend it on. (Hi, kicker contracts!) In doing so and ensuring that they won't end up with a total mess at a position, they're forced to pay a premium for an often-inferior talent. They also forgo the opportunity of finding a bargain, a player who will outperform his salary and allow the organization to spend more on a player who they truly can't replace.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:36 am 

There is chatter that if the Mariners don't re-sign Kendrys Morales, they may try to slip him through waivers and trade him. It's likely that some team out there would claim him off waivers before the Pirates' turn, but if not, he's a potential upgrade for the team before August 31st.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

Delmon Young was DFA by the Phillies. Would he be an upgrade?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Delmon Young was DFA by the Phillies. Would he be an upgrade?

No. God, no.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

ride with what we have maybe play Lambo and then in the off season make another push for Stanton or Trumbo. We have the pitching that the Angles will need in our system.
Jones will be gone so I hope Lambo can play winterball and learn 1st

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:34 pm 

Looking back at the various outfielders that were thrown out there as possible acquisitions - some more seriously than others - here is the OPS for each one since 8/1, plus that of Tabata who would have lost time had someone been acquired:

Byrd .907
Tabata .851
- - - - -
Stanton .769
Schierholz .749
L Morrison .725
A Rios .695
Aoki .645
Trumbo .645
Willingham .635
Doumit .612
DeJesus .586
Morse .578

With the exception of Stanton - who was impossible to get without blowing up the entire farm system - and Byrd - who they ultimately got - who would have improved the team over the past month?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 pm 

B-b-but besides the numbers, those guys on the list are "professional hitters" and Tabata is not!

Nice work compiling the stats. I wasn't even in favor of acquiring Byrd at the deadline due to age and not anticipating the outlier career year to continue, but I'm glad to be wrong on that one given the .881 OPS he put up in August.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:45 pm 

I was a fan of Byrd but didn't expect him to maintain this either. He's been solid so far for us....although I think the "professional hitter" tag that a certain sportswriter likes to throw out on Twitter is a bit misguided for a guy with a 26% K rate, 5% BB rate, and some inflated peripherals. I also don't really think there's such thing as a professional hitter, but if there was he wouldn't really be what I'd envision (Tabata actually would be closer to it....low K%, high BB%, lots of opposite field hits).

That said, I liked him better than anybody else besides Stanton and Trumbo and that was mostly because they were young with multiple years of control so thought they'd be solid pieces for this year with some upside for following years. But, he wasn't a platoon guy, wasn't an overpaid bum, and was pretty much the definition of an ideal rental so I think they did well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

I think it safe to say that the team which improved itself more than any other contender at the deadline was the Pirates. Byrd and Morneau address issues with RF, 1B, RH hitter, LH hitter, power, and defense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am 

Bucfan wrote:
I think it safe to say that the team which improved itself more than any other contender at the deadline was the Pirates. Byrd and Morneau address issues with RF, 1B, RH hitter, LH hitter, power, and defense.

Yep. And that is what contending teams do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think Byrd's career year will continue through the end of the season because I believe it's steroid related.

Next year, though - I'll bet he tanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:19 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I think Byrd's career year will continue through the end of the season because I believe it's steroid related.

That would be fine. Next year he's not our problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm 

val wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Yep. And that is what contending teams do.

I still thought we were a SP short but Morton has really put a damper on that fear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

That would be fine. Next year he's not our problem.

Exactly. Was just responding to concerns that he may not keep it up this year. I think he'll have enough juice left in him to get through October.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, this thread looks done, as it should be at this point.

Just wanted to thank everyone for making it a good, long posting. Haven't had one of these started by me in a long while. Thanks for the participation.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
Well, this thread looks done, as it should be at this point.

Just wanted to thank everyone for making it a good, long posting. Haven't had one of these started by me in a long while. Thanks for the participation.

ZM

I'm keeping it going! This is the official "track Byrd and Morneau" thread! YOU CAN'T KILL YOUR OWN THREAD ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:39 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Wait, you started the damn thread???

Can I have the moderators delete my contributions? (I suspect no dissent will be raised by any to this suggestion. :D )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next