Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Making the team better... the trade deadline thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Yeah I don't know what they'll do. We bat .250 with men on base if you eliminate the pitching spot so it's not like we're that anemic or that it's even possible to acquire "clutch" or "TWTW" (much to Hawk Harrelson's chagrin) if we wanted to ensure a boost.

Our team average is even less though with RISP. I think the broadcast the other night said .190.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 pm 

If you're looking for a 1st baseman, Kendrys Morales is probably available.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 pm 

I don't know what it is with these 2 knocks but it's probably close to .230 overall now and .240 if we eliminate the pitchers.

Our offense is ranked 11th in baseball 1-8 and 20th when the pitcher spot is added in.

Fangraphs tweeted earlier that of the 8 guys who have seen 200 PA's for us, 7 are putting up above average offensive years at minimum.

The big issues are pitchers and PNC being the 3rd most drastic ballpark in favor of pitchers. Once park effects get factored in the offensive numbers are significantly higher for the offensive players (both because PNC is unfavorable to hitters and other teams play in favorable parks for hitters so they regress....so like Coors Field and Miller Park).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Team needs an RBI guy.

Let the shit fly.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 am 

Well, we did acquire a shortstop from the Nationals last night to replace d'Arnaud at Indianapolis. Brian Bocock is his name, and I've never heard of him. Guess he's not the long-term answer at SS for the big club.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2YjtESC5V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 am 

The more I think about it, the two best potential acquisitions for this team are Rockies' 1B/OF Michael Cuddyer, who hits for good power AND gets on base without striking out a prodigious amount, and Astros' SP Bud Norris, who would give the team depth in case Rodriguez can't return and Cole needs to slow down based on his innings count.

I'd love to see one or both of those guys come over to the Pirates and help them out down the stretch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The more I think about it, the two best potential acquisitions for this team are Rockies' 1B/OF Michael Cuddyer, who hits for good power AND gets on base without striking out a prodigious amount, and Astros' SP Bud Norris, who would give the team depth in case Rodriguez can't return and Cole needs to slow down based on his innings count.

I'd love to see one or both of those guys come over to the Pirates and help them out down the stretch.

I agree about Cuddyer, but he is not going to be easily pried away from the Rockies. His contract goes to 2014 ($10.5-12 mil) which is actually good because he can be a part of next year's plan.

Knowing the Pirates, this won't happen because they have Gaby and Tabata as their right-handed hitters in left and first. If Cuddyer was a lefty, I would give say they would be more likely to acquire him (mainly because of Snider).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 pm 

Interestingly, Tabata hits righties better than lefties so he could still be a platoon candidate. It'd just be a bit untraditional having two righties as a platoon....but he's pretty consistently fared better against righties than lefties.

Jones is probably the only other guy you look to replace. Chances are you won't find a player capable of putting up a .969 OPS against lefties like Sanchez is, he's been fantastic so far in his platoon role.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 pm 

MLBTR suggests that Lincecum could be on the market. I know the Pirates don't necessarily need another starter but at a decent price it could be a decent buy low situation, especially given Lincecum's past year and a half. We know what Searage can do wonders with Pitchers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

I agree with this. Cuddyer is a line drive hitter that hits some home runs, very similar to Jason Bay. He doesn't strike out a lot and even though his walk numbers aren't huge, he puts the ball in play a lot which can give guys opportunities to score.

Bud Norris would be great to have on this team to replace Morton and he has years of control left.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:16 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
MLBTR suggests that Lincecum could be on the market. I know the Pirates don't necessarily need another starter but at a decent price it could be a decent buy low situation, especially given Lincecum's past year and a half. We know what Searage can do wonders with Pitchers.

If the Giants are picking up most of the contract then I am all in for this as well. If he can't be a starter we all know the kind of reliever Searage can make out of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:36 pm 

What scares me about Lincecum is the dramatic drop in velocity of his fastball. He did do a nice job out of the bullpen in the post season last year but at his price??? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm 

Lincecum needs to go under the knife, sit out a year and grow an awesome beard, move to the 'pen and come back as Eckersley 2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Why would the Rockies be sellers at this point? 4.5 back in a weak division and getting Tulo back soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Why would the Rockies be sellers at this point? 4.5 back in a weak division and getting Tulo back soon.

Tulo's back. Not back to his usual production (struck out thrice last night), but back.

Agreed though. The NL West is a crapshoot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 am 

I don't suppose the Braves would want to take Inge
Or Snider to help fill in for their injured outfield.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:44 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I don't suppose the Braves would want to take Inge
Or Snider to help fill in for their injured outfield.

Maybe the Gwinnett Braves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:55 pm 

Article in the NY Post today about the likelihood of the Mets dealing Byrd.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/met ... FWiJo3LlVJ

Excerpts:

As the Mets look toward the second half of the season and beyond, Marlon Byrd would seem like a valuable trade chip, but don’t count on general manager Sandy Alderson dealing the veteran outfielder before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline just for the sake of making a move.

”It would have to be significant [talent],” Alderson said before the Mets’ 4-2 loss to the Pirates Saturday night at PNC Park. . . . “We want to be competitive and unless we see a strong possibility of adding to our talent base, we’re not going to compromise our competitiveness.”

Keeping Byrd — unless the team is overwhelmed with an offer — likely would give the Mets their best chance of creating that perception. Last year, Alderson went a similar route in his decision to keep Scott Hairston at the trading deadline.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:03 pm 

Ken wrote:
Article in the NY Post today about the likelihood of the Mets dealing Byrd.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/met ... FWiJo3LlVJ

Excerpts:

As the Mets look toward the second half of the season and beyond, Marlon Byrd would seem like a valuable trade chip, but don’t count on general manager Sandy Alderson dealing the veteran outfielder before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline just for the sake of making a move.

”It would have to be significant [talent],” Alderson said before the Mets’ 4-2 loss to the Pirates Saturday night at PNC Park. . . . “We want to be competitive and unless we see a strong possibility of adding to our talent base, we’re not going to compromise our competitiveness.”

Keeping Byrd — unless the team is overwhelmed with an offer — likely would give the Mets their best chance of creating that perception. Last year, Alderson went a similar route in his decision to keep Scott Hairston at the trading deadline.

Blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah.

Keeping Byrd would be a sign of early onset Alzheimer's, and Alderson knows it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 28  Next