Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Making the team better... the trade deadline thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Because I am tired of beating Giancarlo to death... it ain't happening. Vinnie Riccici says so, so there's that.

But, the new MLB power rankings came out today and guess who is No. 1. Your Bucs with a bullet!

So, I'm looking at that list and saying to myself "Well self, Buccos still could use that good, solid bat in RF and while we always look at the 'sellers' at the deadline, why not the other 'buyers' who might have a mutually beneficial need?"

I look at the best in the AL and... wa la... the Tigers are a top power team in dire need of someone to close the door come playoff time.

So, do the Tigers have anyone of interest to you in exchange for one of Justin Wilson or Watson? A plethora of power lefties on the roster that no one else has. Does one of them corner a deal that brings you your bat back?

ZM

Post subject: Re: Making the team better... the trade deadline thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm 

I think we'd have to part ways with Melancon if someone's looking for a guy who can help put things away. Have Wilson or Watson does well enough to get much in return?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Because I am tired of beating Giancarlo to death... it ain't happening. Vinnie Riccici says so, so there's that.

But, the new MLB power rankings came out today and guess who is No. 1. Your Bucs with a bullet!

So, I'm looking at that list and saying to myself "Well self, Buccos still could use that good, solid bat in RF and while we always look at the 'sellers' at the deadline, why not the other 'buyers' who might have a mutually beneficial need?"

I look at the best in the AL and... wa la... the Tigers are a top power team in dire need of someone to close the door come playoff time.

So, do the Tigers have anyone of interest to you in exchange for one of Justin Wilson or Watson? A plethora of power lefties on the roster that no one else has. Does one of them corner a deal that brings you your bat back?

ZM

I think it is tough right now because outside of Miami, Houston, Seattle, Chicago and Milwaukee everyone still thinks they are in it.

If you are talking reasonable to acquire, the name that jumped out at me statistically was Chris Denorfia but then I realize even San Diego is just 3.5 out in the West.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6431/chris-denorfia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah, but I'm not looking at just the sellers MoTown. I'm looking at "Buyers" who need help. Detroit is running away (sort of) with the AL Central, but has no closer or reliable 8th inning guy for the playoffs.

Looking for a win-win here.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm 

If we want a solid everyday right fielder, we have to give. First I want to know what the deal with Tabata? Is he coming back and when? To get that strong guy, we need bait like Snider or Tabata, one of our starting six or seven, and or Wilson or Watson. If it takes more, I say we stand put especially if a healthy Tabata can be counted on as a platoon guy with Snider.

So, my biggest question is when if ever can we have a healthy Tabata back?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Yeah, but I'm not looking at just the sellers MoTown. I'm looking at "Buyers" who need help. Detroit is running away (sort of) with the AL Central, but has no closer or reliable 8th inning guy for the playoffs.

Looking for a win-win here.

ZM

Is there anyone on their roster that we would want to stick in right field? There is no way the Pirates will take on Hunter's salary and I am having a hard time believing they would let go of Austin Jackson. Dirks and Tuiasosopo dont do it for me compared to what we already have and we have had Don Kelly already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

Detroit's bullpen is terrible but I don't see anything that would fill our needs there. I also would not trade Justin Wilson. I think they want to see how Tabata does when he returns..He was hitting the ball well when he got hurt which is too bad.... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 pm 

I can't help but think of Wilson going back to being a starter. He always started prior to this year and would have more value there if he could pitch effectively.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
First I want to know what the deal with Tabata? Is he coming back and when?

He has been rehabbing in AAA for going on 6 games now. I'm sure he's pretty close to returning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
He always started prior to this year and would have more value there if he could pitch effectively.

He had actually been moved to the bullpen in the minors the last two years because he couldn't survive as a starter due to his control issues. His velocity increased to consistently throwing in the high 90s when he was moved to a relief role. Considering he still struggled with control in the bullpen (though obviously achieved success in keeping runs off the board simultaneously), I don't think they really have any faith in moving him back into a stater role.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm 

Marlon Byrd?

13 dingers, .260 average. Signed for 700K and contract expires 2013. Mets are hopeless. Would probably take something very minimal to get him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Marlon Byrd?

Age is way too big of a concern for me, among other factors. The last two full healthy seasons he had (which is going back two and three years) with Chicago were nothing I feel like we couldn't get internally from the Snider/Tabata platoon and/or some Presley/Sands mixed in. The power this year is surprising in that it puts him on track for his career best, but his usually consistent BA is down, the PNC factor, etc. I wouldn't really have any interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:39 pm 

I don't love Byrd either but compared to other names tossed out it would be solid for a rental.

I'd prefer it to Rios' contract plus the extra year of control we'd be stuck with.

Byrd's production at 700K is better than Rios' at 12.5M IMO.

I'd be happy standing pat, to be honest. I think the Pirates' offensive issues with K's and low BB's will be there regardless of who the RF is. IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:46 am 

Do the Bucs even need a major upgrade?

They have plenty of RF options. Not that they're great options, but having an 'average' RF shouldn't torpedo the Bucs season.

Maybe nab a cheap, productive RF.

Probably pursue a utility guy to replace Inge.

Otherwise it feels like they have enough to replenish from within. Maybe that's hubris talking?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:57 am 

RF isn't great, but the production they get out of 3B, IMO, sort of balances that out. With Gaby swinging well, 1B with he and Jones is pretty good (you'd need a Votto or Goldschmidt there to have that type of HR/RBI production, truthfully). I don't really have a huge problem with Snider/Jones/Tabata (hopefully) out there, at least not a big enough one where I'd be willing to deal an arm for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Do the Bucs even need a major upgrade?

They have plenty of RF options. Not that they're great options, but having an 'average' RF shouldn't torpedo the Bucs season.

Maybe nab a cheap, productive RF.

Probably pursue a utility guy to replace Inge.

Otherwise it feels like they have enough to replenish from within. Maybe that's hubris talking?

I agree. Funny, a month ago, SS was our biggest need. I think when Tabata is healty, we are strong enough in RF. Maybe Lambo is the answer like Mercer was?? Either way, I stand pat on my team...the only thing I do is add someone to replace Inge to make us stronger. Perhaps when Tabata is activated, they will keep Harrison and send Inge packing? Or maybe they bring Sanchez back up?? He and McHenry can pinch hit and not have to worry about not having a back up catcher?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:31 am 

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I can conclude that if Huntington traded Starling Marte for a can of spam, I would expect that spam to win us 5 games.

I have watched Huntington get better every year in talent acquisition and trades. Every year. Through deadline deals to improve a poor roster (circa 2009 and 2010), to improving a good club (2012), to drafts (look at the 2008, 2010 and 2011 drafts now, people), to free agents (Russell Martin and Francisco Liriano most notably), to released players (Mazzarro and Gomez - yeah, the bleeping Royals and Indians are so deep in pitching that they don't need arms like those guys have).

Further, recall that Huntington received considerable abuse for the Bay trade ... but the critics forget that Huntington actually wanted to deal Bay for Cliff Lee, and was shot down by Coonelly. He then received an offer from Tampa Bay of Jeff Niemann and Reid Brignac, did not like it, and instead dealt Bay for Andy Laroche, Craig Hansen (dealt upper 90's but arm problems), Bryan Morris and Brandon Moss.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/j ... trade.html

Turns out that the deal Huntington wanted (for Cliff Lee) was the best, the deal he accepted was the 2nd best, and the one he turned down (Rays' offer) was the worst. But of course, Huntington will NEVER be given credit for actually being right - 3 times out of 3 - in the Bay trade.

His trades are better now than in 2008. His draft picks seem very good. His FA acquisitions - solid. His acquisition of released or waived players (Mazzarro) good.

So if Huntington at this points makes a trade, or doesn't, or signs a guy, or doesn't, I am going to think he gets the benefit of the doubt. He earned it this season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 am 

Trying to think outside the box a little bit here...what would it take to get Logan Morrison from Miami to platoon with Gaby, and move Jones to RF to platoon with Tabata. Or, to get Chase Utley from Philly if they become sellers and put Neil Walker in RF?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:17 am 

Nate Schierholtz. Have him and Tabata split the time in RF. A break out year, a lefty bat with an .800 OPS overall, and is killing Reds pitching.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Trying to think outside the box a little bit here...what would it take to get Logan Morrison from Miami to platoon with Gaby, and move Jones to RF to platoon with Tabata. Or, to get Chase Utley from Philly if they become sellers and put Neil Walker in RF?

Why would you want to move Walker to RF?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next