Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snark?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:50 pm 

I posted yesterday that I was done with "DK admits that he was wrong about Martin" thread. So, in that vein, I'll start a new one.

ZM says "snark."
IA says "no way."

I'm presuming that ZM was referring to this:

Comment From Ryan: What would you do with Gerrit Cole and what do you think the Pirates will do with him?
Dejan Kovacevic: The Pirates need to leave Cole alone. He's out of the minors, so the silly mental games can stop now.
The dumbest part of this whole Cole controversy is that management felt compelled for some unknown reason to make it public in the first place. Really, think about that: What was the gain? Why throw out to the fan base that, hey, he might have to go back down? To minimize the later backlash? What level of insecurity is involved in a thought process like that?
Cole can and should be a valuable part of the drive to finish in first place. If he isn't, then talk about the possibility of sending him back then.
Otherwise, zip it and let the kid pitch.

Snark or no snark? Personally, I'm not sure what a media member would expect out of management when the media asks about what will happen with Cole when AJ and Wandy are healthy but . . . that's just me. I've been labelled a hater. :lol:

Talk amongst yourselves.

Post subject: Re: Snark?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:29 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

nitpicker! cherrystealer!

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

Maybe the Pirates should let Cole throw 393 pitches in four days as well.

What could go wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:32 pm 

I suppose that Huntington, when asked the question about Cole's place in the rotation when AJ and Wandy are healthy, could have played coy and given a response such as "well . . . let's not put the cart before the horse. AJ and Wandy are currently on the DL and, while we expect them to come off the DL shortly, this isn't an issue that we have to immediately address."

I guess that he could have said "I have no comment."

But, I'm guessing that such responses would not have been well-received either. Such responses would have led to rampant speculation. He would have been accused of being elusive and non-committal and chastised for not expressing 100% confidence and support of Gerrit Cole.

For comparative purposes, I'll note that the Cards' GM publically stated when uber-prospect Michael Wacha was promoted earlier this year something to the effect of "we don't know how long he'll be active" or "we don't know for how long he'll be called up" and publically expressed concerns about his pitch count and innings pitched.

Unless management issued an unsolicited press release indicating that Cole might be demoted when AJ and Wandy are off the DL, I'm not sure what else management could do when asked the question. Perhaps be less forthright? Be less truthful? Reveal less of their internal thought process? That usually isn't very well received by those asking the questions . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

The Reds were getting roasted for being non-committal on Cingrani/Leake when Cueto was slated to come off the DL so I don't see any possible way for a front office to handle Shiny New Toy Syndrome effectively.

You'd think forthcoming would be best (especially when a certain media member drags you over the coals for being too arrogant to be forthcoming with information, offering insights, and answering questions) but the media never ceases to amaze me. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I posted yesterday that I was done with "DK admits that he was wrong about Martin" thread. So, in that vein, I'll start a new one.

ZM says "snark."
IA says "no way."

I'm presuming that ZM was referring to this:

Comment From Ryan: What would you do with Gerrit Cole and what do you think the Pirates will do with him?
Dejan Kovacevic: The Pirates need to leave Cole alone. He's out of the minors, so the silly mental games can stop now.
The dumbest part of this whole Cole controversy is that management felt compelled for some unknown reason to make it public in the first place. Really, think about that: What was the gain? Why throw out to the fan base that, hey, he might have to go back down? To minimize the later backlash? What level of insecurity is involved in a thought process like that?
Cole can and should be a valuable part of the drive to finish in first place. If he isn't, then talk about the possibility of sending him back then.
Otherwise, zip it and let the kid pitch.

Snark or no snark? Personally, I'm not sure what a media member would expect out of management when the media asks about what will happen with Cole when AJ and Wandy are healthy but . . . that's just me. I've been labelled a hater. :lol:

Talk amongst yourselves.

One of the more idiotic things I've read for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:28 am 

sisyphus wrote:
One of the more idiotic things I've read for a while.

You should read my contributions more frequently, sisyphus. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:18 am 

I wondered why Huntington regarded a statement about Cole going down. No need to tell the fan base ahead of time, just make the move.

Cole will improve.

Morton, not so sure. A win is a win.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
I wondered why Huntington regarded a statement about Cole going down. No need to tell the fan base ahead of time, just make the move.

Cole will improve.

Morton, not so sure. A win is a win.

He didn't call a press conference. He was asked a question, and he gave an answer.