Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McLouth Extension Not Going Well
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:42 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08353/935944-63.stm

Quote:
The Pirates are on the verge of signing catcher Ryan Doumit to a multiyear extension, and it could happen within the week, according to a source directly involved in the negotiations.

But negotiations with another core player, center fielder Nate McLouth, have gone much differently, with agent Mike Nicotera last night confirming that the chance of achieving a multiyear extension is "close to dead." The parties now are working on a basic one-year contract, the type most commonly arranged for players eligible for salary arbitration.

"There's a pretty stark difference between how we evaluate what Nate has done and what we believe his future will be, and their evaluation of that in terms of placing a dollar value on it," Nicotera said. "When that's the case, it's very difficult to reach an agreement."

The Pirates generally do not comment on ongoing negotiations.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: McLouth Extension Not Going Well
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:30 pm 

Duh, lemme guess. Since Nicotera is an agent, Im guessing his evaluation of his client's future has something to do with Cooperstown.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:40 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Duh, lemme guess. Since Nicotera is an agent, Im guessing his evaluation of his client's future has something to do with Cooperstown.

If it's not, then I'm not sure he's a good agent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:51 pm 

Willton wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Sorry, but as someone who actually has an agent, I can tell you that when an agent gets TOO greedy or too cute it can undermine any chance to mold an eventual deal that is in the clients best long term interests.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Willton wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Sorry, but as someone who actually has an agent, I can tell you that when an agent gets TOO greedy or too cute it can undermine any chance to mold an eventual deal that is in the clients best long term interests.

I'm sure you can then also tell me what can happen when an agent does not display the utmost confidence in his client's marketability during negotiations or advocacy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 pm 

I'm sure you can then also tell me what can happen when an agent does not display the utmost confidence in his client's marketability during negotiations or advocacy.

Clearly, theres a difference between displaying the utmost confidence and being unreasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 pm 

Kingston wrote:

Clearly, theres a difference between displaying the utmost confidence and being unreasonable.

I agree. I just don't think that it's right to assume that every publicized action of a sports agent is the latter purely based on the actor's identity as a sports agent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm 

Willton wrote:
Kingston wrote:

I agree. I just don't think that it's right to assume that every publicized action of a sports agent is the latter purely based on the actor's identity as a sports agent.

Well actually, the Cooperstown remark was just a little sarcasm fueled by the disgust I feel for Kinzer today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Willton wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Well actually, the Cooperstown remark was just a little sarcasm fueled by the disgust I feel for Kinzer today.

Kinzer? Who's Kinzer? Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 pm 

Furcal's dog.