Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lambo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm 

.185/.257/.292 was Lambo's triple slash line in AAA last year through 60 games.

I'm excited that he has prospect status again, but I would think/hope they'd keep him down there for a bit longer in order to make sure this isn't SSS. He put up a .781 OPS in AA last year so he wasn't totally useless as a player....he just got dominated by AAA pitching and since it was his 5th year in AA he kind of got dismissed for his decent numbers in Altoona.

Not saying he hasn't improved, just that I'd feel better talking promotion if he's still raking in games in the 30-40 range, personally.

Re: Polanco, I think Lambo (if this is legitimate) profiles better as your prototype RF but Polanco will wind up the better player....if that makes sense. Polanco might not pop you 30 HR's in a year but he'll give strong defense, a solid average, and a bunch of steals if he lives up to his ceiling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:

I'm excited that he has prospect status again, but I would think/hope they'd keep him down there for a bit longer in order to make sure this isn't SSS... Not saying he hasn't improved, just that I'd feel better talking promotion if he's still raking in games in the 30-40 range, personally.

Yeah, that's fair thinking. The only thought there is that in 30-40 games Tabata will be back, Snider could have found his groove, Presley may be an option still and/or the Bucs may add via trade.

This is not to say that 'the time is now', but rather pointing out that there's a jam in RF and it's tough to know how best to proceed. Depending on the plan/goal, there isn't a lot of time to figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Re: Polanco, I think Lambo (if this is legitimate) profiles better as your prototype RF but Polanco will wind up the better player....if that makes sense. Polanco might not pop you 30 HR's in a year but he'll give strong defense, a solid average, and a bunch of steals if he lives up to his ceiling.

Scouts seem to think that Polanco has power that is better than Taveras', and that guy looks to be a 20 HR player.

One scout was suggesting that Polanco reminded him of Dave Parker in terms of power, and Parker certainly had 30-HR type power. The thing is, lefties who make contact and drive the ball for doubles as 21-year olds often wind up hitting 25+ home runs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Scouts seem to think that Polanco has power that is better than Taveras', and that guy looks to be a 20 HR player.

One scout was suggesting that Polanco reminded him of Dave Parker in terms of power, and Parker certainly had 30-HR type power. The thing is, lefties who make contact and drive the ball for doubles as 21-year olds often wind up hitting 25+ home runs.

I really, really, really hope he does. That would be huge for this franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 pm 

Lambo goes 3-3 tonight with a double. Keep pushing, Lambo, I'd love to be wrong about your readiness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

I'm excited that he has prospect status again, but I would think/hope they'd keep him down there for a bit longer in order to make sure this isn't SSS... Not saying he hasn't improved, just that I'd feel better talking promotion if he's still raking in games in the 30-40 range, personally.

Yeah, that's fair thinking. The only thought there is that in 30-40 games Tabata will be back, Snider could have found his groove, Presley may be an option still and/or the Bucs may add via trade.

This is not to say that 'the time is now', but rather pointing out that there's a jam in RF and it's tough to know how best to proceed. Depending on the plan/goal, there isn't a lot of time to figure it out.

There is no jam in RF. There is a gaping hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:51 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
There is no jam in RF. There is a gaping hole.

Yes there is a hole, but they have three---now possibly four---players who can fill it.

Until the Pirates stop playing musical chairs and commit to a RF, there's a 'jam'.