Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heredia has solid debut
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:52 pm 

Luis Heredia finally made his high-A debut last and pitched 5 scoreless innings for WV. Really, he would have been completely dominant if it wasn't for his control as he walked 4 batters and hit another. However he only gave up 1 hit in 5 IP and struck out 5. From a report I heard his fastball reached 95 and mostly sat in the low 90s and a nice break on his slider. Pretty nice to have a pitcher in the system getting those kinds of results at that level age 18.

Post subject: Re: Heredia has solid debut
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm 

If the Pirates can improve his control this year and get his innings up, he'd be a prime candidate to progress to High A Bradenton next season at age 19. That would be impressive and worth watching going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Luis Heredia finally made his high-A debut last and pitched 5 scoreless innings for WV. Really, he would have been completely dominant if it wasn't for his control as he walked 4 batters and hit another. However he only gave up 1 hit in 5 IP and struck out 5. From a report I heard his fastball reached 95 and mostly sat in the low 90s and a nice break on his slider. Pretty nice to have a pitcher in the system getting those kinds of results at that level age 18.

Have you seen anything about what kind of pitch count he might be on? I know they said Glasnow is 5IP/75 pitches, whichever is first. Is Heredia on that same program? If so, I think they could probably get him up to Bradenton next year, which I agree would be extremely impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:09 pm 

Taillon, Cole, and Heredia, if they're ever in the major together, would have to be one of the hardest throwing trios ever drafted by one team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Have you seen anything about what kind of pitch count he might be on? I know they said Glasnow is 5IP/75 pitches, whichever is first. Is Heredia on that same program? If so, I think they could probably get him up to Bradenton next year, which I agree would be extremely impressive.

Haven't heard anything regarding pitch counts, I'd assume it might be a little more conservative than Glasnow's given the injury/age but I could be wrong. But yeah if he doesn't have any serious mechanical issues I'd assume Bradenton next year is the proper ETA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:29 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Heredia is only 18, right? Still a kid.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Heredia is only 18, right? Still a kid.

ZM

Yes, won't turn 19 until August. So this is similar to his senior year of HS/summer ball before college. They're taking it easy with him, as they should.

On a semi-related note, Barrett Barnes was named Player of the Week in the SAL. Nice to see him hit his stride a bit, he's really battled a lot of nagging injuries the past year and a half.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm 

RTJR wrote:
Taillon, Cole, and Heredia, if they're ever in the major together, would have to be one of the hardest throwing trios ever drafted by one team.

Truth.

Add in Tyler Glasnow, who is hitting 98 mph in West Virginia at age 19, and you have a collection of power arms that I cannot recall ever seeing.

The Mets had Seaver and Koosman dealing very hard, Matlack as well, but not in the upper 90's and not 4 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm 

Kingham touched 98 in Altoona too apparently. Just an embarrassment of power arms in the system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Kingham touched 98 in Altoona too apparently. Just an embarrassment of power arms in the system.

Good point, and yeah, I like what I am hearing about Kingham, mainly from McCutchenIsTheTruth, who attends a lot of Pirates minor league games and has lodged really glowing reports about Kingham.

I recall a report indicating he hit 96 in his first AA start. If he can keep his velocity at 95 and above as a starting pitcher, then I definitely add him to the "power arm" mix.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 am 

Another good start for Heredia tonight. 3 hits through 5 IP, 2 Ks and 3 BBs. Two of the walks and hits came in the first inning and he rebounded nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 pm 

Heredia got hammered last night, chased after 3.2 IP. Gave up 7 hits (including two HRs) and also walked 4 (on the plus side, he did also K 4).

Offensively Josh Bell doubled and Barrett Barnes went 3-5 with a pair of doubles.