Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report - June 22, 2013 vs. Angels
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 pm 

I will offer the game reports in chronological order following attendance at the games on Saturday and Sunday.

Hey, I left in the bottom of the 8th on today's game, Buccos down 6-3. It's LA, man, you gotta beat traffic. Anything interesting happen? :D

The best part of the weekend, of course, was getting together with other Pirates fans and having a great time. Corsair and his wife, Leila, attended, along with Az and his wife, Marla. I attended with my son. (Mrs. Bucfan unfortunately could not attend since she was with her dad back East.) All of us are die-hard Pirates fans. (We'll get Marla to join us soon .. resistance is futile.)

We had dinner before the game and had a great time. Corsair, Az and I are all old enough to remember the greats from the 1970's, though I am guessing that Corsair is too young to recall much about the 1971 team. Talked about work, families, kids, and the Pirates.

We had great seats, right behind the Pirates dugout. Az got two baseballs tossed to him by Gaby Sanchez, once after showing Gaby a Univ. of Miami sweatshirt. So Az is wearing a Pirates hat, a Pirates shirt, shows a UM sweatshirt ... Gaby can't do anything but shake his head and toss the second baseball to Az.

Because he is a gentleman of the first order, Az gives the baseball to son. Because son respects the baseball karma gods, he gave it to a little boy. Made the kid's day.

As to the game - Liriano was effective. He has three solid pitches, and used his change-up quite a bit early on and then switched to the fastball and slider combination later. Good velocity, kept the ball down well and had quite a few swings-and misses. Further, the Angels have some really good R-handed bats, and Liriano shut down that line-up.

The offense was solid. Alvarez hit a screaming line drive home run. Cutch hit a freaking bomb that made the stands, I think, in left. That is a long way. Sanchez hit half-way up the foul poll - that was crushed as well.

Wilson had trouble locating pitches, walked a couple guys, but when you are a lefty dealing at 96-97, you can get out of trouble. He did.

The offense was keyed in significant part by Jordy Mercer. His single to make the game 2-0 in the 2nd inning and led to the 3rd run was huge. He had 3 hits and would have had four but for the fact Snider was going on a hit-and-run and carried the SS over the 2nd base bag. His hits are not squibbers - solidly struck.

Because Mercer had 3 hits, the line-up kept rolling over and Cutch got 5 at-bats, instead of 4. Also, two of Cutch's outs were smoked. The guy hits more line-drive and crushed outs than anybody else, I wager. Hey, where are the regression police on that?

An efficient, dominant 6-1 win. Plus, great seats, great company, two baseballs from Gaby.

I also have to note that the Angels fans were, as always, gracious and fun to talk to. A lot of Buccos fans in attendance - more than I have seen at am away game in a lot of years. The Angels fans took the invasion well, and complimented the Pirates team.

Second game report on the way ...