Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6-20-13 Pirates @ Reds
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
So . . . who closes the game? Watson? Radio guys haven't indicated that someone is warming up. Who comes in if Watson falters?

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. In the meantime, given the 2-run lead and lack of real hitters coming up in the 9th, Watson is a fine choice to close.

Agreed. But . . . you always have to be looking ahead . . . someone had to be ready to warm up if a runner or two got on base. Fortunately, no one had to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:04 pm 

Raise it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm 

Impressive win Buccos. Let's have a good trip and keep this thing rolling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm 

Watson delivered. Big win.

Cumpton vs. Homer Bailey, at GAB.

Big, big win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:06 pm 

I'll take a series split on the road. Season series is 5-5, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm 

Great job by the Bucs (well, Pedro) to salvage a split.

Still would have been nice to win last night, too, though.

On to the West Coast!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 pm 

RTJR wrote:
I'll take a series split on the road. Season series is 5-5, right?

6-4 Pirates.
First series. PNC. 3-0 Bucs.
Second series. PNC. 2-1 Reds.
Third series. GAB. 2-2 split.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:14 pm 

Huge win. And I don't use that term very often because they are all big.

I watched very little today, mostly because I was working but also because I was turned off after last night.

Don't dis on da Fort. He is just fine as a backup. But I still think he should be traded come July to make way for Sanchez.

Someone mentioned our baserunning. We still see some mistakes but it is much improved this year. And our ability to control the running game is greatly improved, which of course Martin deserves a lot of credit for that. He's throwing guys out even when they get a good jump.

On to California!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
You can't convince me that a catcher with a .222 career average is worth keeping around for his bat when he's repeatedly victimized on the bases. I don't understand why they don't let him go.

Been saying this for a while. And surely T. Sanchez has now (surprisingly) forced his hand. When it's late June and you're sporting a .951 OPS while retaining the above average defense behind the plate, the time may come sooner than later with the team staying above .500 as much as they are, and with the threat of a third straight second half collapse at any moment.

Anyway, great to split this series with Cumpton on the mound. I sat this one out after attending the last three, I figured we would assuredly see an Alvarez HR at GABP in the series. A bases clearing double and line drive single are of course welcome additions also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:51 pm 

Sanchez does have 12 errors but you can't argue with .951. And Martin looks pretty reliable and durable.

Upgrade the backup catcher, right field, and Inge's spot and we should be all set. Hopefully we won't need to add any pitchers. I think Gomez is almost ready and Wandy not too far behind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:54 pm 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
You can't convince me that a catcher with a .222 career average is worth keeping around for his bat when he's repeatedly victimized on the bases. I don't understand why they don't let him go.

Been saying this for a while. And surely T. Sanchez has now (surprisingly) forced his hand. When it's late June and you're sporting a .951 OPS while retaining the above average defense behind the plate, the time may come sooner than later with the team staying above .500 as much as they are, and with the threat of a third straight second half collapse at any moment.

Anyway, great to split this series with Cumpton on the mound. I sat this one out after attending the last three, I figured we would assuredly see an Alvarez HR at GABP in the series. A bases clearing double and line drive single are of course welcome additions also.

Yep, I was being generous by giving him his career BA, too. He's at .210 this year.

Sanchez has impressed me. Wanted to see if he could sustain things into June, and he has. Defense out of a backup catcher is more important than offense....Sanchez can't be any worse than Fort. Looked really strong in the IL game I saw on MLB Network.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Chances of Pedro getting a hit against a tough lefty . . . I'd put it at less than 5%.

I love being wrong. So VERY VERY WRONG!

Heading into that AB against Cigriani, Pedro had K'd 42% of the time against lefties this year. Nice reversal at a key moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm 

Alvarez has climbed his batting average all the way back above .220 after leaving April and early May with a heck of a hole.

If he can get back to the 250 he hit as a rookie with his RBIs, power and improving defense you are solid at 3rd base. I know his season numbers are sub average but what are his numbers over the last 30 days?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Alvarez has climbed his batting average all the way back above .220 after leaving April and early May with a heck of a hole.

If he can get back to the 250 he hit as a rookie with his RBIs, power and improving defense you are solid at 3rd base. I know his season numbers are sub average but what are his numbers over the last 30 days?

Insanely good. Probably close to 1.000 OPS after today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I know his season numbers are sub average but what are his numbers over the last 30 days?

Since May 17 and through today, Alvarez has posted:

26-96, 5 2B's, 10 HR's, 30 RBI's, 14 R's, 12 BB, 39 K's, .270/.358/.635.

His OPS over the past month+ is just under 1.000, at .993.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm 

Alvarez' double ... what a controlled swing. Level, smooth, and he smoked the ball.

He is hot. This is going to be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Alvarez' double ... what a controlled swing. Level, smooth, and he smoked the ball.

He is hot. This is going to be fun.

Does anyone think he's ready to be moved up to 5th in the order or should the Bucs not mess with his juju right now (although, shouldn't Pedro be past the point of being affected by lineup shuffles)?

As noted in the thread about Pirates production, the five-spot is getting below-average production (of course, Pedro batting 6/7 has made those spots above-average). Pedro could fix that in a jiffy-pop minute.

Aye or nay? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:51 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Hurdle sure is stubborn. He keeps running Sanchez out there against righties. I think Snider or Presley would be a better option.

As nad mentioned, Presley was demoted this morning. I agree though, Snider should be in RF with Jones at first.

Should have demoted Inge. Never realized hurdle was a phenom.lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:57 pm 

I didn't see much of the game since I was at work. I heard cutch got hit again. Unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Does anyone think he's ready to be moved up to 5th in the order or should the Bucs not mess with his juju right now (although, shouldn't Pedro be past the point of being affected by lineup shuffles)?

Aye or nay? Thoughts?

Yes and no. I'm not someone who puts a huge emphasis on batting order in general and so my thought should be to bat him wherever you want in the order that you see fit to best help the team (in this case, 5th or clean-up). That being said the irrational part of my brain kicks in when I remember him getting moved up to clean-up after a red-hot stretch last year and promptly slumping as if it was early April again. I think the mental aspect of it can't be ignored, we've seen even with players like McCutchen that the pressure sometimes amounts, like when he was visibly trying to do too much during the collapse in 2011 to accommodate for the rest of the offense and his BA slumped to a spot we likely won't ever see again to finish a season. Of course, that example isn't so much about where he was hitting in the order so much as being the guy relied on to carry the team offensively. My point is that I don't really want that mentality creeping in on Alvarez since he is currently the only legitimate power source the team has (McCutchen and Jones appear to be on pace to be below their career HR averages). That being said, that's what he's there to do and if you think the time is right then you go for it. I would just hope that the coaching staff would stress that things are exactly the same. And, more importantly, that Alvarez actually realizes it himself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next