Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noted Civil War historian Shelby Foote on the Pirates
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 pm 

It seems that since the beginning of the season, we have watched with trepidation and fingernails chewed to nubs over every little setback, every injury, every poor play. Two late-season collapses have given us Stockholm Syndrome perhaps. "We're the Pirates and we suck, they are right, we suck." Every loss we expect to be the trigger that starts the 1-9 or 2-17 stretch that gets us to ask, "Hey when do the Steelers open camp?"

But that hasn't happened.

And on this board it seems like we all post things like "The gauntlet," "the next stretch," the upcoming eight games" etc. as we faced red hot rookie pitchers or bats or a smoking hot Braves club at the beginning or, the Astros and Cubs are due for a hot streak or "so and so number of Cy Young winners" on the mound in the next week.

Well you know what, I am beginning to see this team as a good team that is growing in confidence and I think we are ready to start looking at things in a different light.

In the PBS documentary on the Civil War, noted Southern historian Shelby Foote, noted the attitude at the Army of the Potomoc staff headquarters when Grant finally took command in 1864. Years of having their heads handed to them by Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia led to a whipped, hang dog attitude and a general belief that Lee was damn near invincible. Grant nipped that one in the bud, with the following,

"Quit thinking about what Bobby Lee's gonna do to us and start thinking about what we're going to do to him."

We're the Pittsburgh Pirates, let's start thinking about what we're gonna do to them!"

Post subject: Re: Noted Civil War historian Shelby Foote on the Pirates
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm 

Well, that was the best post of the season.

I need a new sig, since it does in fact seem like Jordy has been freed, and that will suffice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 pm 

Corsair wrote:
In the PBS documentary on the Civil War, noted Southern historian Shelby Foote, noted the attitude at the Army of the Potomoc staff headquarters when Grant finally took command in 1864. Years of having their heads handed to them by Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia led to a whipped, hang dog attitude and a general belief that Lee was damn near invincible. Grant nipped that one in the bud, with the following,

"Quit thinking about what Bobby Lee's gonna do to us and start thinking about what we're going to do to him."

We're the Pittsburgh Pirates, let's start thinking about what we're gonna do to them!"

Here, here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm 

I like it.

I also liked when somebody (cannot recall who - apologies) posted the Bryan Cranston rant, "I am the danger!!" in the gauntlet thread.

The Pirates ARE the danger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I LIKE it, Corsair.

Thanks,

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm 

Good post Corsair, but I've already been looking at things in a different light. I've said it many times this year, on this board and other places, this is the best team we've had since '92. But that's not saying a whole lot, is it?

Unlike some others, I'm very much concerned about breaking .500, and I'm pretty sure this will be the year. But how can you not be nervous after what happened last year?

Despite our improved talent level, both on the big club and in the minors, the fact is that our rotation is on very shaky ground and our offense is weak.

I'm really hoping that some of our injured starters come back strong, and that Neil adds some offense as we approach the deadline. That would definitely increase my confidence level.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm 

Ahem:

9-1 since Grant took command! :D

Now bring on those Phillies!