Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chasing pitches...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 am 

...out of the strike zone. I know the Bucs won the game last night...but really? 17 K's?

How many times have you seen Pirate hitters chase bad pitches out of the strike zone or stand there and NOT protect the plate with two strikes TAKING strike three?

They are all guilty of this from Cutch to Barmes.

Winning is the most important thing that matters...BUT...I have very little confidence in this offense providing the run support these pitchers need over the long haul.

IMO, these guys must change their approach at the plate, use the entire field (especially the opposite field), and stop getting THEMSELVES out. Having said that, I was VERY glad to see Pedro's big hit last night go to LF.

Maybe small steps...but the steps better get larger and get faster for this offense to improve for a serious playoff run in August and September.

Post subject: Re: Chasing pitches...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am 

Sorry to "bump" my own post, but after last night's game I thought it was appropriate to do so.

This Pirate offense is terrible...not good for the long haul at all...just decent for comparatively short stretches of the season.

Something better change with this offense, or Pirate fans are going to see more tough losses like last night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 am 

It is an issue of pitch recognition. Recognizing the slider before you commit to swing. I think a related issue is them trying to pull everything. If you sit back and get an extra nanosecond to look at the pitch, and just be content to take it the other way, it may help the issue.

The worst culprits are:
Marte
Jones
Cutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am 

I'd love to know the number of runs that the Pirates score via the home run versus any other method. Its simply a guess at this point but I'm thinking that the %age has to be among the league leaders. And . . . given the composition of the line-up . . . that wouldn't be a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am 

From Hurdle: “If you break down what our bat-to-ball (rate) is within in the strike zone, and what our chase ratio is, you don't have to go much further than that to see why we are struggling offensively,” Hurdle said. “We need to do a better job of competing within the batter's box and not chasing, to a man. That comes down to discipline.”

Yep . . . don't need to go much further than that. If you can't hit balls that are in the strike zone and chase pitches outside the strike zone, the offense is going to suck eggs.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4212 ... z2WlawG7h5
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:47 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I'd love to know the number of runs that the Pirates score via the home run versus any other method. Its simply a guess at this point but I'm thinking that the %age has to be among the league leaders. And . . . given the composition of the line-up . . . that wouldn't be a good thing.

I'd also love to know the following:
(1) Percentage of PAs that Bucs' hitters face an 0-2 count.
(2) Percentage of PAs that Bucs' hitters face a 1-2 count.
(3) How those percentages compare with the rest of the league.

Again . . . I'm guessing here but I've got to believe that the Bucs have to be among league leaders when it comes to facing 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am 

doug frobel wrote:
It is an issue of pitch recognition. Recognizing the slider before you commit to swing. I think a related issue is them trying to pull everything. If you sit back and get an extra nanosecond to look at the pitch, and just be content to take it the other way, it may help the issue.

The worst culprits are:
Marte
Jones
Cutch

Isn't it easier to go opposite field? I never played above LL level, but I never tried to pull anything. I always wanted to go opposite field.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:22 pm 

Absolutely hitting into the shift is part of the problem. The old adage of "hit 'em where they ain't" has gone by the wayside. That used to be common practice. Now you have to go for the homer, which means pull, regardless of where the defense is.

As far as better contact within the strike zone, and not chasing, that comes down to talent, which we are lacking.

On the 17 strikeout day, there were a ton of swings and misses at belt high fastballs. We just can't touch those.