Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's a f'ed up game
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm 

K 17 times and win 4-0.

Sure am glad that I completely whiffed on my thoughts with how Morton would do tonight. Big win.

But 17 Ks? Really?! Ridiculous.

Post subject: Re: It's a f'ed up game
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 pm 

I know. The post game show said something about how it only happened like 4 times in team history..... :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 pm 

Nonetheless great win. Shut down the big red machine, and hopefully shut them up. Nice retaliation. Great performance by Morton.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 am 

The only final numbers that matter are the ones in the first column.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 am 

I was there, what can be said except that it was the best win when striking out 17 times ever.

- Maybe the pitch count was more out of wack than it appeared due to the first inning, but I assumed that Dusty Baker panicked when he PH for Latos in the fifth after he had racked up 10 or so Ks and hadn't given up a hit since the first inning. Ultimately it didn't matter much but the Pirates did add an insurance run at least.

- Credit the Pirates for stealing bases successfully from unlikely sources (and for throwing out Choo as well). Considering we have had poor SB records from our speedy players in the past I cringed when Martin and Snider were sent. The bizarre Martin steal where he slid off of the bag and managed to get his other hand on the bag was insane live, I was fully expecting to see on the clip that he was actually out when I got home, can't believe he pulled that off.

- I've been vocal lately about not being much of a believer in Morton anymore, glad to eat my words tonight. I don't have the numbers in front of me but he's extremely efficient at handling Votto/Phillips/Bruce and I know threw two shutouts against them two years ago because I was at one of those as well. I also liked the confidence at starting Mercer despite having Morton on the mound.

A few pics ...

(TheShark and girlfriend. Yes, we had to take the photo ourselves since no one was around hence the awkward posing).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am 

Nice!!! 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am 

TheShark wrote:
- Credit the Pirates for stealing bases successfully from unlikely sources (and for throwing out Choo as well). Considering we have had poor SB records from our speedy players in the past I cringed when Martin and Snider were sent. The bizarre Martin steal where he slid off of the bag and managed to get his other hand on the bag was insane live, I was fully expecting to see on the clip that he was actually out when I got home, can't believe he pulled that off.

My only issue with our base stealing is why do we have to wait until we are up 4 runs to do it. We are rather pedestrian at time for a time with some good speed and a staggering in ability to generate runs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:03 am 

MoTownWV wrote:
My only issue with our base stealing is why do we have to wait until we are up 4 runs to do it. We are rather pedestrian at time for a time with some good speed and a staggering in ability to generate runs.

Martin stole in the first inning when it was 1-0.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 am 

Is your girlfriend in Bucco garb? And if so do you only go out with Pirates fans or did you convert her over from the dark side?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I know. The post game show said something about how it only happened like 4 times in team history..... :roll: :roll:

Funny thing is, it's the third time this has happened in the last 4 seasons. The other games:

* 8/19/2012 Pit 6 @StL 3 (19) Guess which game this was!
* 4/28/2010 Pit 6 @Mil 5 (14) Pirates win at Milwaukee?? Stop the presses!
* 7/21/1997 Pit 3 @Phi 2 The Kevin Polcovich homers off Curt Schilling game. Also the only 9 inning game before last night.
* 9/30/1964 Pit 1 @Cin 0 (16) Jerry May drove in the only run.

Let this be the year!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Is your girlfriend in Bucco garb? And if so do you only go out with Pirates fans or did you convert her over from the dark side?

Yes, she has a gray Pirates shirt on (luckily there are plenty of hip, fashionable sports brands out there these days who make stuff girls actually like wearing), and she was indeed "converted." Although she isn't really much of a sports fan in general so being from Cincinnati, she wasn't really much of a Reds fan either. She does enjoy going to games (probably helps that as out of town fans we only see about 5-6 a year) so that's all I can ask for.