Julio De La Cruz - 1-4, K

DSL 2

Michael De La Cruz - 1-3, 2BB, K
Johan Herrera - 3-4, BB

DSL 2

Post subject: Re: Minor League Daily Update: 6/17 Treasure Trove
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:31 pm 

Didn't want to clutter the board with another topic so just posting here:

The Pirates signed Reese McGuire today for slightly under slot. Bill Brink tweeted last night that the Pirates aren't all that close with Meadows yet but he's still expected to sign. Pirates Prospects says he'll head to the GCL to get started, and I think that season is set to resume in the next couple of days.

So they've signed most of their big picks to this point. JaCoby Jones and Adam Frazier are both still participating in the CWS so I wouldn't expect negotiations to get under way until they're finished.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

It's too bad Stolmy wasn't ready to make the spot starts that Cumpton will.

What might it take for him to get a September call-up and/or is there a chance he will hang around until next year or do the Pirates lose control of him after this year?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 pm 

I wouldn't think it would take much to get a call-up. Who knows what's going on with McPherson and Irwin, wouldn't surprise me to see Pimentel up, much like Locke and McPherson were last year.

And he has to break spring training with the big club next year or we lose him. So I think he'll definitely stick with the team for this year and then be given every opportunity next year to make the club. Cole, Locke, and Liriano are the only guys who are locked into rotation spots, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I wouldn't think it would take much to get a call-up. Who knows what's going on with McPherson and Irwin, wouldn't surprise me to see Pimentel up, much like Locke and McPherson were last year.

And he has to break spring training with the big club next year or we lose him. So I think he'll definitely stick with the team for this year and then be given every opportunity next year to make the club. Cole, Locke, and Liriano are the only guys who are locked into rotation spots, IMO.

Hmm.

It would be nice for KMac to become a piece of the future, even if only a J-Wil like (long) reliever. There are always casualties though...

As for Stolmy, if he can get that WHIP under control and sustain the K/9 #'s, why can't he be a 5th SP... right? If Jeanmar Gomez can do it...

Or maybe Stolmy can become the right handed J-Wil?

It would be nice to have him around next year to find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm 

I like the name "Tito Polo."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Hmm.

It would be nice for KMac to become a piece of the future, even if only a J-Wil like (long) reliever. There are always casualties though...

As for Stolmy, if he can get that WHIP under control and sustain the K/9 #'s, why can't he be a 5th SP... right? If Jeanmar Gomez can do it...

Or maybe Stolmy can become the right handed J-Wil?

It would be nice to have him around next year to find out.

I agree with all of that. I think McPherson has a very good chance to be a rotation piece, he just can't stay healthy all of a sudden. I think they'll stick with him for as long as they can though, he has good stuff with exceptional control.

Right now I'm thinking Stolmy might break next year as a bullpen guy. That's based on nothing other than a) he needs to leave spring camp with the big club and b) we have a LOT of starting pitching potentially.

Cole is on the opening day roster, I think that's almost a lock barring something unforeseen. Liriano is under contract at a relative bargain price. Locke, IMO, has probably solidified himself as a rotation piece due to being a lefty.

So that's 3 starters right there. Wandy might be more likely to exercise his player option after this latest injury. Morton, IMO, needs to be a rotation piece if he's anywhere close to 2011 Morton. People desperately want AJ back. That's potentially 6 worthwhile MLB starters, to say nothing of guys like McPherson, Irwin, and Taillon who are likely breaking camp in AAA.

So right now I'm thinking Pimentel starts off in the pen as a long man, maybe taking the place of a guy like Mazzaro, but that's kind of just spitballing off of a slight numbers crunch and agreeing with you that it'd be nice to keep his arm in the system.