Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luis Heredia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am 

Is anybody else at least mildly concerned that this kid hasn't thrown a pitch that matters yet this season? I understand that they are being cautious and he is only 18, but something is amiss somewhere. I read somewhere that he wasn't in real good shape this spring. I just think if he really is our number 4 prospect, he ought to be pitching somewhere. It's mid-June, for crying out loud.

Post subject: Re: Luis Heredia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm 

Well, at least he's just being held back in extended spring training so it's not like he likely isn't close. Technically he's only currently about a month behind schedule since by all reports I heard he was supposed to be in West Virgina in May, so I wouldn't panic yet. I think you hit it with the age and being cautious ... they're likely to be more hesitant with Heredia and his upside than anyone else in the system at this age. Personally I never heard anything about issues of being out of shape and that effecting anything, not saying it might not have been reported though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 pm 

I'm not worried at all at this point. First of all, it's not like he's not pitching when he's in extended spring training. He's just not posting stats. And he presumably is getting more time to work on his mechanics - which is a good thing given his mediocre control last summer.

Also can't forget that he is only 18. He would just be getting ready for his High School graduation if he were an American. At that age, he is going to be on a very low pitch count and innings count - so no need to start him too early. His first game last year, btw, wasn't until late June. If he starts his season at Jamestown, he will probably still be the league's youngest player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 pm 

I think they mentioned that they wanted him to start pitching and go all the way through until the end of the year, rather than starting him from the get-go and shutting him down. He'll be on a tight pitch/inning count again.

Plus they wanted to avoid the cold weather in WV, if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:26 pm 

I'd be much more worried if they were overworking him at age 18. Nothing wrong with taking it slow, given the way these kids get overworked at a young age and blow their arms out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 pm 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Pirates wanted to allow him time to adjust to the new environment, learn the language, etc. This may not be directly related to baseball skills or conditioning at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bradf wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Pirates wanted to allow him time to adjust to the new environment, learn the language, etc. This may not be directly related to baseball skills or conditioning at all.

He doesn't need to learn the language in Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:10 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
bradf wrote:

He doesn't need to learn the language in Florida.

Yeah, teach him English then send him to Pittsburgh. Smart, move Huntington!!! Yinz guys in the Front Office don't make no sense.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm 

Ken wrote:
Also can't forget that he is only 18. He would just be getting ready for his High School graduation if he were an American.

Or to say that in a different way, if he was an American he likely would have been drafted this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 pm 

Didn't we sign him in August of 2010? How much adjustment time does he need before he is ready to pitch for a farm club? I know it has been discussed before but it seems the Pirates are overly protective at times.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Didn't we sign him in August of 2010? How much adjustment time does he need before he is ready to pitch for a farm club? I know it has been discussed before but it seems the Pirates are overly protective at times.

He had just turned 16 then...I think it'd be a far bigger issue if we signed him at 18 and he's still being coddled.

I think Taillon only racked up like 80-85 innings his senior year of HS...which is what they'd be asking Heredia to do this year (the equivalent of his senior year of HS).

Edit: Most of the kids who are drafted this year will wind up in the GCL for short-season ball. Heredia will be pitching in low-A. So, I don't know that they're being overly protective. They're being extremely aggressive with his competition and are more or less abiding by what studies have shown w/r/t pitchers and increased work loads.