Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crystal Balls . . . Mark Appel to the Cubs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I always marvel at how many times Harold Reynolds manages to put his foot in his mouth.

His current shtick as being the anti-Sabermetrics guy opposite of Brian Kenny and making arguments like "well, statistics like BABIP are nice and all, but what's more important and immeasurable is a player's leadership and will to win" is next level awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 pm 

It was painful when he was trying to characterize Moneyball as something completely different from what it is.

His player comps are brutal, too.

Pirates pick again at 51. No idea how these next 16 or so picks will go but I'm emphatically throwing my hat in the ring for Rowdy Tellez. Don't want anything to do with Manaea, if he's still around. He was regarded as a top 15 type guy IF the medicals were okay. The fact he didn't go is kind of disconcerting in terms of his health, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 pm 

Royals pop Manaea.

Wow does Luis Gonzalez look different than in his playing days.

Have to wonder where Austin Wilson winds up. Doubt he makes it to 51.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 pm 

Watching the clip of the MLB Network crew analyze the Meadows pick (missed it the first time around) had some hilarious commentary as well, this time from usually excellent John Hart. Not that it matters, but when profiling Meadows he says that the drafting of a position player first round marks a shift from drafting pitchers like Taillon and Cole like they have been doing for years, and says that Meadows is the last position player they've taken since McCutchen (ignoring the no. 2 and 4 overall picks in 08 and 09).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 am 

LHP Blake Taylor taken by the Pirates at 51.

I wonder how flattered Seattle's Austin Wilson was to have two of the three hits from his profile video barely leaving the infield.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:15 am 

Pirates nab Blake Taylor. Lefty HS pitcher who, shockingly, is tall and touches 94 already. Right in the wheelhouse for this regime.

Also yeah I gave Hart the benefit of the doubt on the Cutch comment and assumed he meant HS bats. Also not sure I bought the Bruce comparison, but Rasmus for sure seems appropriate. That said, both of those were better than the Frazier-Trout comparisons.

I'll give them this, I really trust them to develop toolsy outfielders so Meadows is about as good as you can get in this draft.

Didn't realize how far down Rowdy Tellez was on lists. Maybe they can get him or Oscar Mercado in round 3. Really love Tellez's bat though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:25 am 

TheShark wrote:
I wonder how flattered Seattle's Austin Wilson was to have two of the three hits from his profile video barely leaving the infield.

Son pitched against Wilson for 2 years in high school.

What son did to Wilson 6 times in 2 years ...

Change-up in the strike zone, swing-and-miss.
Curve in the dirt, swing-and-miss.
High fastball, pop-up or swing and miss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 am 

Taylor ranked 40, 55, and 60 by Law, BA, and Mayo, respectively.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 am 

Man, the Pirates may have the number 1 ranked system in the MLB next season. Getting two players ranked that highly at their positions is awesome. Plus a pitcher who's hitting mid 90's at 17 years old. I love that we're in a position where we're saying "What do we do with all of these outfielders/catchers????"

I don't get why it's still held as such a negative or more risky when you take high schoolers. Plenty of college players in the first round bust, too. Seems like the upside in high school kids is greater than college.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

Leway512 wrote:

I don't get why it's still held as such a negative or more risky when you take high schoolers. Plenty of college players in the first round bust, too. Seems like the upside in high school kids is greater than college.

Fangraphs had an article yesterday that agreed with your premise. More college players make MLB, but many of them do basically nothing tangible which balances it all out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
I always marvel at how many times Harold Reynolds manages to put his foot in his mouth.

His current shtick as being the anti-Sabermetrics guy opposite of Brian Kenny and making arguments like "well, statistics like BABIP are nice and all, but what's more important and immeasurable is a player's leadership and will to win" is next level awful.

Whatever it takes to keeps his hands of the female interns...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 am 

Here are my initial draft thoughts:

First, congratulations to Mark Appel for being drafted first overall. His gamble paid off. I hope he has a good career in Houston (and I'm glad he's in the AL).

Second, I like the haul of Meadows, McGuire, and Taylor. Great potential for all three, though, as prep players, we won't see them in Pittsburgh for a while. Gotta get 'em signed and developed now. Quick note -- in selecting three high school players, Huntingdon and company certainly aren't drafting like their jobs are in jeopardy. They're still looking long term.

Third, I really hope Bobby Wahl falls to the Pirates. He'd be a nice selection in the third round.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

To me, Brian Kenny is like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe the segment is such that he has to act that way but . . . he comes off as an insufferable pompous ass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:36 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
To me, Brian Kenny is like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe the segment is such that he has to act that way but . . . he comes off as an insufferable pompous ass.

I make an effort to not pay attention to much sports media/talk these days ... the only thing I occasionally catch is MLB Network as an out of towner who doesn't have the MLB package. Overall it is much, much better than the likes of ESPN, etc. in that I think that the coverage is fairly balanced around the league and some of the on-air personalities aren't bad and are fairly intelligent and knowledgeable. Plus I'm just not going to complain too much about an all-MLB channel which also sometimes airs things like international and minor league games. I don't mind Greg Amsinger, Matt Vasgersian, Mitch Williams and John Hart. A lot of the former players however are consistently bad and should not have moved on the analysis profession, i.e. Eric Byrnes, Sean Casey, Kevin Millar. And of course the aforementioned Harold Reynolds. I don't have a problem with Kenny, though since I haven't watched ESPN in several years, all I really remember were his infamous arguments with boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. (where I think BK always handled himself rather well in those circumstances). Anyway, MLB Network now runs a daily show where Kenny is a Saber-minded analysis and Harold Reynolds is dismissive of advanced statistics, and they go back and fourth on various subjects. If you've ever heard Reynolds before, just imagine what he's like in that kind of format. That about sums it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 pm 

TheShark wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Anyway, MLB Network now runs a daily show where Kenny is a Saber-minded analysis and Harold Reynolds is dismissive of advanced statistics, and they go back and fourth on various subjects. If you've ever heard Reynolds before, just imagine what he's like in that kind of format. That about sums it up.

I pretty much have the MLB Network on in the background at my house constantly during the summer. And that's the show/segment to which I was referring. Maybe its because the show is contrived to create a McLaughlin Group, PTI feel, but . . . . whether that is Kenny's truly personality or whether it is contrived . . . I think he comes off like an ass a good amount of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Watching the clip of the MLB Network crew analyze the Meadows pick (missed it the first time around) had some hilarious commentary as well, this time from usually excellent John Hart. Not that it matters, but when profiling Meadows he says that the drafting of a position player first round marks a shift from drafting pitchers like Taillon and Cole like they have been doing for years, and says that Meadows is the last position player they've taken since McCutchen (ignoring the no. 2 and 4 overall picks in 08 and 09).

The fine sports writers at the Trib said the same thing:

Quote:
The Pirates targeted upside in selecting Grayson (Ga.) High outfielder Austin Meadows with the ninth overall pick and Kentwood (Wash.) High catcher Reese McGuire at No. 14. High school players often carry more upside than college prospects, but they are further away from the major leagues.

The Pirates had not drafted a high school position player in the first round since taking Andrew McCutchen in 2005.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4144 ... z2VY3al0uy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:41 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Fangraphs had an article yesterday that agreed with your premise. More college players make MLB, but many of them do basically nothing tangible which balances it all out.

Yeah. While there's arguments to be made for taking either one, it always seems to me like the critics just have to throw in a "Well, he's a HS pick so he has that going against him..." comment as if HS players have a massive failure rate compared to college. Like you said, more college players may make the MLB, but they just become average or below average players. Pirates are in a position right now where they have a pretty proven core (enough to where this team isn't going to embarrass themselves for the next 5 years, at least) with some good prospects on the way up as well. It's a good time for them to grab a couple of stud HS prospects and see how they develop. After the never ending ups and downs of Pedro Alvarez, the supposed best MLB power bat/offensive player available, I'm perfectly content with the Pirates going the HS route.

Don't mean that as a knock on Pedro, I love him much more than I hate him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Quote:
The Pirates targeted upside in selecting Grayson (Ga.) High outfielder Austin Meadows with the ninth overall pick and Kentwood (Wash.) High catcher Reese McGuire at No. 14. High school players often carry more upside than college prospects, but they are further away from the major leagues.

The Pirates had not drafted a high school position player in the first round since taking Andrew McCutchen in 2005.

Nevermind, my proof reading skills suck...I missed the 'High School' part...Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Quote:

\

They said high school position player. Gammons misunderstood that, or else he wouldn't have included Cole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Quote:

Nevermind, my proof reading skills suck...I missed the 'High School' part...Oops.

Ahhhh too late for me to nevermind it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next