Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offense vs. Pitching
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

The Pirates have the 4th best winning percentage in the NL but are 12th in runs scored.

Clearly we are a pitching-dominated team but our pitching has faltered lately. And I blame the offense. Our inability to hit the ball is putting too much pressure on the pitchers.

The main trading period won't start for another 4-5 weeks, but Neil has to be agressive and make something happen to add some offense ASAP.

Post subject: Re: Offense vs. Pitching
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm 

Evan Gattis would look nice in RF in Pirate Uniform

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:19 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The Pirates have the 4th best winning percentage in the NL but are 12th in runs scored.

Clearly we are a pitching-dominated team but our pitching has faltered lately. And I blame the offense. Our inability to hit the ball is putting too much pressure on the pitchers.

The main trading period won't start for another 4-5 weeks, but Neil has to be aggressive and make something happen to add some offense ASAP.

I agree 100%...PS: Ralphie, I fixed your spelling of "aggressive"... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 pm 

What bats are likely to be on the block? And which would fill a need and be cost-effective?

Aramis Ramirez?
Josh Willingham?
Justin Morneau?
Alfonso Soriano?
Nate Schierholtz?

Considering that nearly all of NH's moves thus far have been of the Lee/Ludwick/Snider/Gaby (buy lows on old vets or fading prospects) or A.J./Wandy (cost picked up by old team) variety, and with the unlikely scenario of trading the farm, who are realistic options for the Bucs to pursue?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 am 

I was wondering when Corey Hart was going to be back for the Brew Crew. I'd like to see him in RF if healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 am 

Eh, too soon to think about in my opinion. And it really looks like a weak year again for bats at the deadline, as pointed out a million times, proven offensive players are very hard to come by these days. No one wants to give them up, and if they do, it's a high price tag. Stop and think if it's in the Pirates best interest to deal potential All-Star prospects just to try and compete this year, with what probably isn't a World Series team.

The Pirates are in a cold spell. They always go into them since this core came together. Hell, most younger lineups in general, do. The Rays of the last 5 years are very guilty of it.

Stop and think about whether or not a number of these players would really be a legitimate upgrade, too. Like would a Willingham or Soriano really be that much better than Snider/Marte/Jones in a corner OF spot? I really don't think so. Certainly not enough to give up prospects for. Would Morneau, who hasn't been able to put together a good season in like 4 or 5 years, who currently has 2 HR's on the year, and is prone to go down with injury at any given time, really that much of an upgrade over Jones/Sanchez at first?

We know what Marte/Pedro/Walker/Jones are capable of when they get it going, plus we have good offensive contributions at the C position. More importantly, we know that Cutch is an MVP-like player when he is hitting on all cylinders. I think this team is much better off now and for the future, living through these offensive droughts and banking on the pitching to keep them in games, than attempting to trade for a bat. Keep the deals low-risk/high reward like we've been doing, and hope we hit on one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:02 pm 

This is certainly no time to panic. Yes, the hitting is not strong but it's not as bad as it has looked recently either. Let's keep in mind that the last three series were against teams that have great pitching and as usual-- good pitching beats good hitting. Our best guys are not performing up to expectations right now but they are not terrible either.

And there is no way to get a top hitter without giving up some serious talent. I for one don't want to do that because I believe that with time our plan will bring us what we want. Key here is "with time". Patience in life is always difficult but necessary with most things. Things are progressing as evidenced by the spurts the last two seasons and the position we find ourselves in today.

I think it's time to have some faith in management and ownership that the course is a good one and is slowly coming to fruition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Long post edited for quoting purposes.

Exactly. Well said.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

I think the pitching is just coming down to earth rather than any sort of overcompensation for the offense. I don't think this is a team that's a 10+ game over .500 team so I'm not going to be too concerned about a rough stretch against Atlanta and Cincy. Both of those teams are a level above us, IMO.

No need to make any rash moves at the deadline. If you're going for an upgrade he'd need to be cheap or a guy you can control for 4+ years.