Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My musing for the morning . . .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:29 pm 

Is the noticeable lack of discussion surrounding tonight's draft a function of:

A. Depression surrounding the Bucs losing 5 of 6 and facing the real possibility of Wandy being out for a long time;
B. A lack of anything resembling an make-a-difference prospect being drafted tonight;
C. The Pirates advancing to the point where we can be excited more about the on-field product than focusing on who may be wearing a "P" on their hat in 2-5 years.
D. All of the above.

Or . . . are people bumming because the Penguins are on the verge of being swept?

The last three drafts have generated huge amounts of debate/discussion. Its glaringly absent this year.

Post subject: Re: My musing for the morning . . .
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm 

Thanks for the posting, 9. Yeah, only the second post of the morning.

For me, I could largely care less about drafts in general, and baseball specifically because these guys are suspects, not prospects, until they prove otherwise. Unlike football or basketball, where draftees regularly are playing first week of the season, even the Strasburgs and Harpers of the world are going to spend this summer in the minors. And there aren't any Strasburgs or Harpers in this draft, so a little nod to Option B there.

And yes, we've got a one-day lull here but I think we've said mostly what can be said about this Buccos team. We are overachieving, but until Cutch starts hitting on all cylinders, we have some serious holes. And there won't be a huge influx of help this season either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm 

For me its none of the above, and nothing to do with the Penguins (My note on that would be, its hard to win the Cup when you're not the best team).

I'm just not very interested in speculation. That applies to both draft picks and potential trades.

But I'll be very interested in seeing who they select, for at least the first several rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:00 pm 

There really hasn't been much made of it by the Pirates either. Greg Brown asked Huntington about the draft on his radio show Sunday and Huntington basically said that they are at the stage of the game, drafting outside of the top 8, that they don't want to show their hand as to not let another team see what they have scouted on these guys.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:18 pm 

I'm not a draftnik by any means. (A) A lot of guess and speculation on guys who are years away from making the majors and (B) I don't have the time nor the inclination to invest the time necessary to learn the ups/downs of supposed prospects.

I just found the lack of vigorous debate interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:49 pm 

McGuire is supposed to be the real deal. A college bat with a short arrival time would be a plus. MLB draft is such a crap shoot.... :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm 

I think at this point we're so far back that it's tough to debate too much.

When we picked 1, 2, or 4 we had a decent idea about who would be on the board and who wouldn't, and oftentimes had a shot at some elite players.

I have no doubt there'd be a ton of debate if we're Houston (do you go Gray or Appel?) or Chicago (do you go for the pitcher who drops, the power hitter, or the pure hitter) or Minnesota (Stewart vs. Moran).

It's just so tough to a) anticipate who will still be on the board or b) who might drop and blow everything up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 pm 

Hopefully we will be seeing one of our highly touted prospects in Pittsburgh next week. I'm hoping they call Cole up next week. I read two glowing accounts of his outing yesterday from Lackey and Sawchick on twitter. They both indicate that he is more than ready. Two things on this...it is time to see him perform in Pittsburgh. Even if he isn't stellar, I don't think there is all that much for him to prove at this point in AAA. The other thing is that the team really needs a lift. Wandy may be out(potentially for a long time). Gomez is out. Morton and McDonald have been iffy in their rehabs. Karstens looks done for the year. The Bucs really could use a lift, and Cole just might be the guy to do it for them. Either way, I think the time is now(well, next week technically).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 pm 

If Wandy is really injured long-term, I assume Morton and Cole will be taking the open spots. They probably want to give JMac as many minor league starts as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Hopefully we will be seeing one of our highly touted prospects in Pittsburgh next week. I'm hoping they call Cole up next week. I read two glowing accounts of his outing yesterday from Lackey and Sawchick on twitter. They both indicate that he is more than ready. Two things on this...it is time to see him perform in Pittsburgh. Even if he isn't stellar, I don't think there is all that much for him to prove at this point in AAA. The other thing is that the team really needs a lift. Wandy may be out(potentially for a long time). Gomez is out. Morton and McDonald have been iffy in their rehabs. Karstens looks done for the year. The Bucs really could use a lift, and Cole just might be the guy to do it for them. Either way, I think the time is now(well, next week technically).

The Super 2 Status thing is in play. It's supposed to fall sometime midweek next week. It may be late next week or the following week.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:

I have a hard time believing that a power pitcher who is only striking out AAA hitters at a rate of 6.2 K's per nine while walking 3.7 is ready for the majors, but they may have to call him up anyway.

It's ridiculous how many potential rotation guys have gone down since spring training started.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Is the noticeable lack of discussion surrounding tonight's draft a function of:

C. The Pirates advancing to the point where we can be excited more about the on-field product than focusing on who may be wearing a "P" on

This.

Losing streaks in baseball happen, just like winning ones. There's still 100 games left to play and the Bucs still have a chanc to win every one of them.

The team is finally starting to become solidified into what we envisioned with 'The Plan'.

To me at least, this draft is less interesting because the Bucs aren't likely to land a 'sure thing' like Cole/Taillon/Pedro and while it's nice to have two first rounders, the players in the 9-14 range are years away from impacting what looks to be a competitive big league squad.

There's still the chance that a Sale or Trout like player is there at 9/14, and it would be GREAT if that did happen, but the obvious development of the current AA, AAA and ML Bucs is my primary focus right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I have a hard time believing that a power pitcher who is only striking out AAA hitters at a rate of 6.2 K's per nine while walking 3.7 is ready for the majors, but they may have to call him up anyway.

Cole wouldn't be the first pitcher to improve upon average/meager MiL success.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I think that they said the same thing about Kris Benson.

He could be ready, and I don't see where they have much choice of Wandy is out for any amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I think that they said the same thing about Kris Benson.

Touche...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 am 

sisyphus wrote:
I have a hard time believing that a power pitcher who is only striking out AAA hitters at a rate of 6.2 K's per nine while walking 3.7 is ready for the majors

Last 2 starts:

14 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K.

For the season, opponent BA .190, ranks 7th in IL in ERA, 2nd in WHIP.

He is pitching pretty well.

Oh, and he's 22 bleeping years old.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I have a hard time believing that a power pitcher who is only striking out AAA hitters at a rate of 6.2 K's per nine while walking 3.7 is ready for the majors

Last 2 starts:

14 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K.

For the season, opponent BA .190, ranks 7th in IL in ERA, 2nd in WHIP.

He is pitching pretty well.

Oh, and he's 22 bleeping years old.

His age is an argument that he's ready?

He is pitching better of late, no doubt about it, and I'm willing to go with whatever they decide. They've seen him, after all. All I've seen is his numbers, and that BB/K ratio is something to be concerned about if it carries over. Maybe it's behind him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:30 am 

While the strikeout rate is disappointing, his overall numbers are good enough and it is time. He can always be sent back down if he's not getting it done. If he played for Cincy or Washington he would have been up a year ago.

Personally I think he'll do fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:47 am 

Ralphie wrote:
While the strikeout rate is disappointing, his overall numbers are good enough and it is time. He can always be sent back down if he's not getting it done. If he played for Cincy or Washington he would have been up a year ago.

I seriously doubt it. All the talk about how slow the Pirates are to promote guys is mostly B.S. If anything, they're guilty of rushing Alvarez and Tabata a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:48 am 

I assume the Cincinnati bit was about Mike Leake skipping the minors? Up to this point he has been an average back of the rotation pitcher.

Harper and Strasburg were premature promotions given the type of mega-prospects they were, although up to this point it's irrelevant given how they have fared in the majors. Harper had less than 500 ABs in the minors and didn't really hit well at all in AA or AAA. Strasburg was just insane in the minors and demonstrated that he didn't really need to be there. I don't think you see Washington treat others in their system the same way.

And alas Cole is also not the type of prospect as one of those guys. His control was supposed to be a work in progress project throughout the minors and despite being such a high draft pick from a major college his arsenal was not polished. That's what the minors have been for.