Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yahoo article on Pirates farm system
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/prospect-h ... 49825.html

Here's a little bit that makes me excited for the future.

For all of the plaudits the St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Twins' farm systems receive, one longtime scout insists neither has the best cache of prospects around."It's the Pirates," he said. "And I'm not sure it's close."

Post subject: Re: Yahoo article on Pirates farm system
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 pm 

Polanco, Glasnow, and Kingham have given the system a huge boost this year.

Lots of excitement from national guys around them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

I would also add, on a smaller scale, the resurgences of T. Sanchez and Stetson Allie (regardless of the obvious polarizing outlook on the latter). Both of those guys very quickly went from census MLB top 100 guys to not even being top ten prospects in the Pirates own system with Allie's fiasco as a pitcher and Sanchez flopping at AA. Regardless of the total crapshoot of an outlook on Allie given that he's in low-A, the power numbers and conversion story are getting attention. The question coming into the season with Sanchez was whether or not he could make the majors, it's now looking like he might solidify a back-up role before the season is over. I also really like the way the system looks with a healthy Josh Bell in it, especially with the lack of hitting prospects outside of the excitement over Polanco.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

Andrew Lambo has a .903 OPS at Altoona. 5 steals in 6 attempts and only 2 errors. 24 years old. He is in line for a promotion soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Andrew Lambo has a .903 OPS at Altoona. 5 steals in 6 attempts and only 2 errors. 24 years old. He is in line for a promotion soon.

Yes, if the injury was a major reason for his struggles then that is a really nice surprise. I'm still pretty hesitant since he has essentially been in AA for going on five seasons now, but the power coming out of nowhere this year is nice to see and the age is just in the right frame that there is still hope. I agree about the promotion though, he has absolutely nothing left to prove at AA, get him in the Indianapolis OF replacing Brett Carrol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm 

Plus they held Heredia back in Extended Spring Training. Another big gun.

Wish Dilson Herrera wasn't a 2B, he's having a really nice season as well. Position is going to prevent him from huge hype, though. Barrett Barnes on the DL, too. West Virginia has themselves a nice teams. 6 All-Stars in the SALly.

Very interested to see what happens with Sanchez. I'd actually love to see him up right now but don't think getting him more AB's at AAA is an awful idea if the goal is to not make irreversible decisions. Having him and Fort on the bench is counterproductive.

Edit: Just saw the Lambo posts, kind of amazing that a) Lambo is only 24 and age-appropriate for AA and b) he's pretty much the same age as Jose Tabata (24) and Travis Snider (25).

Kind of puts things in perspective with how early in their development as ballplayers that they are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 pm 

FWIW, Baseball America felt that Meadows would slide in JUST ahead of Josh Bell in the Pirates system rankings, and Reese McGuire would be in the 8-10 range but noted it was a deep system.

He was asked on Twitter about Bell vs. Meadows and said Bell had the bat but Meadows had the tools so he gave Meadows a slight edge.

Pretty much sounds like Frazier/Meadows pre-draft -- who most had neck and neck -- and there was a pretty clear divide on them between teams that like tools (Pirates, Marlins, Blue Jays all liked Meadows) and teams that are traditionally more conservative (Indians, Astros, Mariners liked Frazier).

Red Sox started on Frazier, worked them out and switched to Meadows, and then wound up with Trey Ball. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:55 am 

Lambo finally gets his AAA promotion after over 1500 PAs in AA. Will now be a pretty interesting OF of former prospects hoping to get back on track in Indianapolis with Lambo joining Sands and Pie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am 

Glad to hear that about Lambo.

Sanchez has his OPS up to an amazing .944. He did make his tenth error yesterday though. I think we can start thinking of him as a possible #1 catcher again.

I'd like to see McKenry traded in July to make room for Sanchez.

Pie has his OPS up to .765 after a horrible start to the season. 23 steals in 29 attempts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 pm 

It looks like the main problem with Sands is that he has an extremely drastic platoon split. This is odd because he had virtually none in previous years in which his splits were consistently even. Of course, he has only had 37 ABs against LHP this year compared to 159 against RHP, so some small sample size is certainly in order, but there's no ignoring that he put up a .915 OPS against LHP while a shocking .569 against RHP in the majority of his PAs. Getting to face some lefties might explain why he recently had that little hot streak but is now back to how he had been at the beginning. Even with moving away from a hitter's park/league, the HR numbers are still way down for a guy who has already hit a ton of them at AAA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Glad to hear that about Lambo.

Sanchez has his OPS up to an amazing .944. He did make his tenth error yesterday though. I think we can start thinking of him as a possible #1 catcher again.

I'd like to see McKenry traded in July to make room for Sanchez.

Pie has his OPS up to .765 after a horrible start to the season. 23 steals in 29 attempts.

-It would be nice if Lambo turned into something, even if it was Garrett Jones lite.

-That would be such a boost!

-Love Fort and everything he's done, but yes. He deserves a shot somewhere else where he can continue being a useful backup (Minnesota? Seattle? Tampa? Texas?). I'd hate to banish him to Miami or Milwaukee, but he has earned PT.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Lambo finally gets his AAA promotion after over 1500 PAs in AA. Will now be a pretty interesting OF of former prospects hoping to get back on track in Indianapolis with Lambo joining Sands and Pie.

Lambo has been playing some 1st Base at Altoona also. He might get some time there. I saw him in the outfield in Altoona and anything above a routine flyball is nerve wracking.

Altoona's offense is going to suck even worse now Lambo is going to Indy.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm 

Could be that an OF from Bradenton can move up and open up a space for Josh Bell to move up a notch. He has been very consistent in WV and deserves a shot. That said, this FO is often very conservative in call up situations. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Lambo has been playing some 1st Base at Altoona also. He might get some time there. I saw him in the outfield in Altoona and anything above a routine flyball is nerve wracking.

I doubt you'll see him play much first in AAA since there are already two more natural first baseman there who will be getting playing time with Hague and Sands (even though Sands has been in the OF, he is more of a 1B than Lambo is). I think Lambo was mainly getting some time at first in AA due to Matt Curry's injury and Dickerson moving to the OF. Brett Carrol is a perfect candidate to lose playing time in favor of Lambo in AAA.

On a lighter note, tonight's game promotion at Altoona is a Sean Burnett bobblehead. You would think that they would do a bobblehead of a player still in the Pirates system or on their major league roster. Sometimes things happen like a player gets traded while you are producing their bobblehead, but Burnett has been gone for five years. Furthermore it's just a pretty odd choice of a bobblehead in a relief pitcher who spent one season with Altoona.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:40 pm 

Cleaning out the gift shop of leftovers. They were just a little behind on this one.

Remember the Nate McClouth bobblehead promotion, a few days latter he was traded after being touted as the face of the franchise. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:54 am 

TheShark wrote:
It looks like the main problem with Sands is that he has an extremely drastic platoon split. This is odd because he had virtually none in previous years in which his splits were consistently even. Of course, he has only had 37 ABs against LHP this year compared to 159 against RHP, so some small sample size is certainly in order, but there's no ignoring that he put up a .915 OPS against LHP while a shocking .569 against RHP in the majority of his PAs. Getting to face some lefties might explain why he recently had that little hot streak but is now back to how he had been at the beginning. Even with moving away from a hitter's park/league, the HR numbers are still way down for a guy who has already hit a ton of them at AAA.

I doubt they'd get enough in return for McKenry to make it worth their while to finish the season with only two catchers. It wasn't that long ago they went through eight of them in a season.