Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thoughts from the morning after....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am 

-Last night was a rough night for Pittsburgh sports, each team lost by 5 runs/points.

-I posted my thoughts on dan iasoganna before he had his massive ego get the best of the Pirates, I remember a few weeks back he umped the game in philly when halladay was pitching and he was horrendous then, when I saw he was calling the game combined with us playing in atlanta I never liked our chances.
But wow, he had 5, count them 5 missed strike calls on burnett before he ejected martin and hurdle, 2 of the 5 called balls should have been strike 3 and the two that he missed on the batter who caused martin to get tossed should have made it an 0-2 count instead of a 2-0 count. He is terrible and I really believe he single handily cost us the game. Burnetts pitch count would have been lower and he would have been understanding where to pitch instead of throwing batting practice.

-With that being said, I know Burnett was squeezed last night and he has had a decent year but no way is he worth 15 million like some people are thinking we give him for next year, he constantly has his pitch count up around 90 after 5 innings (I know last night he could have had it lower if we did not have an idiot behind the plate calling balls and strikes).

-Our offense is in a big slump, we are going to need to improve our offense if we want to make a run at the WC. That is pretty obvious.

Post subject: Re: thoughts from the morning after....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 am 

Besides the bad umpiring, Burnett did not have his curveball working last night. He usually relies heavily on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 am 

I don't get tossing Martin there. He may of said something but he didn't it quietly and didn't give any appearance of trying to show up the ump. All he accomplished by tossing Martin there was ensure further scrutiny of the game and to highlight exactly how poorly he was calling things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:57 am 

Good point.